By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many more Switches will be sold by year's end?

How many more Switches will be sold by year's end?

5 Million 6 8.57%

6 Million 1 1.43%

7 Million 4 5.71%

8 Million 5 7.14%

9 Million 3 4.29%

10 Million 18 25.71%

11 Million 13 18.57%

13 Million 11 15.71%

15 Million 5 7.14%

17 Million 4 5.71%

Total:70
kirby007 said:
JRPGfan said:

No way it does that much in oct,nov,dec.

9-10m, is the "reasonable" vote.
13m, is the highly optimistic vote.
15m+ is the borderline crazy vote, imo.

Its going to outsell ww totals for the ps4 in 2020

You are saying the switch will sell 80m+ between now and the end of next year if the PS4 hits 120m ww Ltd by end of next year 

Around the Network

I think 10m is the Absolute minimum, a safe bet for me is 12m with the lite and Pokémon

Jpcc86 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah that's a given. How could they not move the extra 5.1 million to surpass Xbox? MS is guaranteed 3rd place this gen. 

Is the X1 "this gen" tho? I thought this gen was X1, WiiU, PS4 and the Switch is the first of the following gen, paired with PS5 and *ejem*... Scarlett. 

Switch and Wii U can’t be the same generation since Switch is the console after the Wii U.

One console is Nintendo’s 7th generation console, and the other is Sony’s 4th generation. It just happens that Nintendo’s 6th and 7th generation consoles have some overlap/competition with Sony’s 4th generation console; but trying to mash them together into some fictitious unified generation is silly.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I think this time it will pass 10M

Jumpin said:
Jpcc86 said:

Is the X1 "this gen" tho? I thought this gen was X1, WiiU, PS4 and the Switch is the first of the following gen, paired with PS5 and *ejem*... Scarlett. 

Switch and Wii U can’t be the same generation since Switch is the console after the Wii U.

One console is Nintendo’s 7th generation console, and the other is Sony’s 4th generation. It just happens that Nintendo’s 6th and 7th generation consoles have some overlap/competition with Sony’s 4th generation console; but trying to mash them together into some fictitious unified generation is silly.

General concensus says the Switch belongs to the same generation of other consoles as the PS4, XB1 (check wiki).
Also you can have 2 consoles into the same console gen cycle.

It depends on how you use the word generation.

1) Is it only a independent successor, to your own devices? gen1 is followed by gen2 ect.
2) Is it used as talking about a "group" that belongs to the same time periode? when you say generation?

Most when they talk about consoles generation, look at the overall picture, and talk about a "group" of consoles when they say a generation.
In that sense, its possible to have 2 consoles that belong to the same generation, if their shortlived while the others lasted longer (they excist in the same time periode).

Your "reason" for saying nintendo cant have Switch not be a generation ahead, is because your useing a differnt definition of the word Generation, than most others are.

Think about what "generation" means to people.
Usually theres a "timespan" of like 10-20 years, between the geneartions.

Why? because thats how long it takes a person to grow up, mature, and be able to have off spring.

So someone born at the start of a new generation, can be old enough to marry and have kids, while someone born at the end of a generation, while belonging to the same generation, might still be a kid in said generation. However they both belong to the same generation.

Its the same with a console generation.
The overall picture, of you & your competition at the same time periode = a generation.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 05 October 2019

Around the Network

I'm ot a doctor, but I clicked 13m. Democracy, right?
Switch lite+Pokemon should tap a whole new demographic tbh. I expect a pretty decent holiday casual boost. It has been a pretty smart move on Nintendo's part, they have basically quietly slipped backed to a home console (hybrid) /dedicated hand-held enviromnent under one (very successful) branding with (speculatively) lower costs in R&D and manufacturing, due to the similar architecture, while also keeping software development streamlined by developing for 1 system instead of 2. =13m?The end.

sell-through will be a little over 48m by end of year. Possibly a bit more.

If we're going by current VGC numbers as the starting point.

9m = 17.8m year total.
10m = 18.8m year total. (lines up perfectly with my previous prediction in sig, so this is what I'm voting for.)
11m = 19.8m year total.
13m = 21.8m year total.

10/11 Million are the most reasonable answers I think, (48.3m/49.3m by years end)

13m is too high, 9m is a little too low.

Barkley said:

sell-through will be a little over 48m by end of year. Possibly a bit more.

If we're going by current VGC numbers as the starting point.

9m = 17.8m year total.
10m = 18.8m year total. (lines up perfectly with my previous prediction in sig, so this is what I'm voting for.)
11m = 19.8m year total.
13m = 21.8m year total.

10/11 Million are the most reasonable answers I think, (48.3m/49.3m by years end)

13m is too high, 9m is a little too low.

Yeah I feel like you could easily remove the pole options below 9m, and the ones above 15m.

in the 6 weeks from mid Nov to Dec 31 last year the Switch sold 7.2m

Realistically this year with Pokemon on the horizon I could see that number alone being closer to 10m especially when the Switch lite is considered the Switch is now something which falls into the possibilities of "presents for family members you care around the €200 region of"

Over the next 7 weeks until that point I would imagine the Switch will do around the 250k mark on the weekly basis so giving another 1.75m, so by the years end from now would expect the machine to shift between 11.5 and 12m units, all going well with the launch of Pokemon and Luigis Mansion 3.

For checking sake it's currently 38.3m this prediction would be it resting at 49.8m when the 31dec2019 sales are counted on this site.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I guess 10-12 million units, do I am going with eleven million. This will probably be the best Q4 for Switch.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar