By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Shawn Layden, Head Of PlayStation’s Game Studios, Departs

Good luck on your new journey Shawn-san

Article

Sony has announced that Shawn Layden, chairman of SIE Worldwide Studios and a mainstay of PlayStation’s E3 press conferences, will be leaving the company. No reason was given for his departure, and a successor has not been named.

Formerly president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America (until Sony’s regions were brought under one roof in 2018), Layden had been with Sony since 1987, serving in roles like vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and president of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan.

When Sony consolidated its worldwide PlayStation divisions into a single unit in 2018, Layden was no longer president of Sony Interactive Entertainment America, and the company said he instead would “concentrate his focus” on leading Sony’s game development studios.

Source: Kotaku, and SIE

Last edited by Shikamo - on 30 September 2019

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

who?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Mar1217 said:
Maybe if we got a picture with the name, I'd be able to assert who this man is

done!

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Abandon ship, or tired from too much winning?

To sell or to hold, that is the question. lol

As long Shuhei and Cerny are still there, Playstation will still be strong. It's like when rotating the management in hospitality industry or F&B , I would keep The Chef and the Bar Head that cooked and prepared the product that has the identity of the restaurant and has the selling point.

Cerny is the father of Playstation hardware (modern Playstation) and Shuhei is the father of Playstation games and creativity. Both of them creates the product , both are like the chef and the head bar.

Around the Network

His job was eliminated last year. They moved him elsewhere, in what may have been a sort of demotion. I'm guessing that he just couldn't get comfortable in a new role. That's purely a guess though.

VAMatt said:
His job was eliminated last year. They moved him elsewhere, in what may have been a sort of demotion. I'm guessing that he just couldn't get comfortable in a new role. That's purely a guess though.

That's what I'm thinking too. Going from running an entire division to basically being the sidekick to Shuhei would be tough to adapt to.

HollyGamer said:
As long Shuhei and Cerny are still there, Playstation will still be strong. It's like when rotating the management in hospitality industry or F&B , I would keep The Chef and the Bar Head that cooked and prepared the product that has the identity of the restaurant and has the selling point.

Cerny is the father of Playstation hardware (modern Playstation) and Shuhei is the father of Playstation games and creativity. Both of them creates the product , both are like the chef and the head bar.

Then i gues nintendo is toast when miyamoto is gone.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
HollyGamer said:

Then i gues nintendo is toast when miyamoto is gone.

Well perhaps, unless if there is someone that can replace him that has the same level of legendary  , but Nintendo is full of talented people  like Eiji Aonoma, or Sakurai. 

I much preferred Andrew House, but I guess Shawn did some good teases. Now I guess there won't be anybody? I wonder who will headline PS5 reveal.