By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you have a love-hate relationship with

At first I thought of To The Moon, but it doesn't bring me that many good moments, so I guess I just despise it the more I think about it.

And about love-hating games, I'd say Doom 3? The game works well for a scary shooter, but it's so fucking dark all the time it becomes a chore to play.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Danganronpa.

Such a great opportunity to make a game with choices/consequences and multiple routes/endings, and instead they make a crappy linear plot with a terrible main character.

However, the gameplay where you can walk and explore the surroundings in first person and the trials are very good. In fact, one of the best gameplays I ever saw in a visual novel.

Not enough for me to consider it a great game, though...

Xenoblade 2 has got to be the most severe example for me; no other game have I loved and hated in such immense measure.

It does a lot of things right; the overarching story is engaging, the music is spectacular, the combat feels great when it all comes together.

On the other hand, there were so many instances when I cringed so hard my head wanted to recede into my body like a turtle at the awful cliche anime scenes, raged so hard I wanted to throw my Switch through the window at the horrible difficulty spikes, or felt all enjoyment drain away when story progression was gated behind a Field Skill that forced me to stop and go spend hours grinding up a certain Blade.

There were several times when I very seriously considered just quitting the game altogether and never finishing it. Yet there were just as many moments when I was blown away by an epic scene or felt elation as I obliterated a boss with a full burst.

It's such a dizzying mix of the amazing and the atrocious it boggles the mind.

Has to be destiny for me. Such amazing gameplay and awesome abilities... freaking stupid raid designs and limitations (no matchmaking). Awesome guns... that are instantly nerfed to crap the second they drop for you... no other developer gets in their own way as much as bungee does...

It's a cliche but it has to be Dark Souls...
The game was giving me great joy and simultaneously ruining my life.
I have a save file at the bottom of Blighttown and I'm not sure if I'll ever go back.....

Around the Network

Bravely Default. Chapters 5-8 are the most repetitive and tedious padding I've ever experienced. But I still like the game as a whole mainly thanks to its battle system and job system (characters and story are bland af, though)

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 01 October 2019

Cuphead! I eventually beat it, but I had to stop playing for a couple of months because it made me so angry.

Also, GTA and Red Dead Redemption. I get so frustrated by not being able to access parts of the map until I complete a certain story mission. For open-world games, they often feel limited. I don't care about the characters or cutscenes, and the games would be the same to me with no plot at all. I would rather just run around and kill everything from the start.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

Most Bethesda games.

Come to think of it, Xenoblade X also drove me up and the wall and enthralled me in almost equal measure; amazing world, combat, and visuals, but way too much boring filler and a weak story.

Sort of also Mario 3D World too. The gameplay was very polished and enjoyable but as a 3D Mario is just felt so suffocatingly safe and lacking in ambition or scope.

Both good games overall, but both also pissed me off haha

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 October 2019

Street Fighter in general. It's the gold standard of fighting games, but I've never been able to "get gud" at it. Partly because I prefer games that use fewer buttons than six. Yet, if they released a SF6, I'd probably play it online and get slaughtered. At least if they avoided all the crap that dragged down SF5. Maybe now that Capcom is awash in cash from Monster Hunter World they can use it to make a better Street Fighter 6.