By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 2020 predictions

-They will need another 2017 level year to deal with whats to come from the competition with the new consoles.

-They a digital store for all key games from NES-The Wii. Because the console is handheld, this could include handheld titles.
-Bayonetta 3 needs to drop
-

Around the Network

JRPGfan said:

ignoreing the remakes,....

The "big" impactfull titles from that list would be "Animal Crossing" + "Mario Story" + "bayonetta 3".

Compaired to "Ghost of Tsushima" + "Final Fantasy 7 Remake" + "Last of Us part 2".
I think Sony has "bigger" heavy hitters in 2020.

Nintendo should have more, than what your list shows imo.

That's not how ignoring remakes work

Going month by month is too specific for me, but here's what I think could happen during the year overall:

- F-zero game (FINALLY) with a robust online mode. Would be pretty sick. The "big release" for the first half of the year.
- Pikmin 4 w/online support
- NSMB Collection (collections seem to be the thing now, particularly on Switch. Would be cool to see a package featuring NSMB1, 2, Wii U, Luigi U, & maybe some all-new exclusive stages)
- New Paper Mario
- Earthbound collection (with Mother 3 Western release O_o) possible remake of at least one of them in the future, following the model of the Mana Collection
- New Donkey Kong Country by Retro to throw their fans a bone while we wait for Prime 4
- Mario Kart 9 (would likely be a pretty big overhaul/revamp to keep it feeling fresh like Super Mario Party - this could also be the "big" holiday release along with BotW 2, as Prime 4 is likely 2021)
- Geist sequel? I feel like Nintendo would want to round out the lineup a bit more with an exclusive FPS
- New WarioWare
- Maybe new Wario LAND? O_o
- New Rhythm Heaven (a chance this and/or WarioWare could be mobile releases)
- Another Ring Fit or 1-2 Switch type game that utilizes the HD rumble and motion controls

- GB/GBC/GBA game releases on the Switch online service

I feel like this is like 70% pipe dreams vs actual, feasible potential future games for next year but hey, a man can dream. And most of these I feel aren't outside the realm of possibility based on trends/conditions.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:

Going month by month is too specific for me, but here's what I think could happen during the year overall:

- F-zero game (FINALLY) with a robust online mode. Would be pretty sick. The "big release" for the first half of the year.
- NSMB Collection (collections seem to be the thing now, particularly on Switch. Would be cool to see a package featuring NSMB1, 2, Wii U, Luigi U, & maybe some all-new exclusive stages)
- New Paper Mario
- Earthbound collection (with Mother 3 Western release O_o) possible remake of at least one of them in the future, following the model of the Mana Collection
- New Donkey Kong Country by Retro to throw their fans a bone while we wait for Prime 4
- Mario Kart 9 (would likely be a pretty big overhaul/revamp to keep it feeling fresh like Super Mario Party - this could also be the "big" holiday release along with BotW 2, as Prime 4 is likely 2021)
- Geist sequel? I feel like Nintendo would want to round out the lineup a bit more with an exclusive FPS
- New WarioWare
- Another Ring Fit or 1-2 Switch type game that utilizes the HD rumble and motion controls

I feel like this is like 70% pipe dreams vs actual, feasible potential future games for next year but hey, a man can dream. And most of these I feel aren't outside the realm of possibility based on trends/conditions.

I want all of this. I know we won't get any of it.

@OP

I think a Game & Watch Museum would be the best thing I ever needed in my life.

So if I suddenly had control of Nintendo's future and past decisions but couldn't undo any announcements already out there....

January:

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Ecore

February: 

• Metroid Prime Trilogy Collection (Announced at Game Awards)

March:

• New Labo release (Own announcement in January)

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons

April:

• F-Zero GX HD (Announced in January Direct)

• Pokemon Mystery Dungeon HD Collection (Announced in January Direct)

May:

• Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (Confirmed in January Direct)

• New Kirby title (Announced in January Direct)

June:

• Mario Golf (Announced in January Direct)

• 2D Metroid title by non Nintendo studio (Mercury, Wayforward, etc, announced at Game Awards)

July:

• 'Zelda Emblem': Legend of Zelda characters with Fire Emblem gameplay. (Announced in April Direct)

• Mario and Luigi game (Announced in April Direct)

August:

• New Ice Climbers game (By Good Feel of Yarn Yoshi fame: Announced at April Direct as the 'The heck' announcement, blowout at E3)
  • Skyward Sword HD (Announced in April Direct)

September:

• Bayonetta 3 (Confirmed in April Direct, blowout at E3)

• Pikmin 4 (Announced at E3)

October:

• Pokemon Colosseum/XD sequel by non Game Freak Developer (Announced at E3)

• Super Mario Party 2 (Announced at E3)
  • Eternal Darkness HD (Announced at E3)

November:

• New colorful I.P (a la Splatoon or ARMS, announced at E3)

December:

• (Free Space)

Announced for 2021

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 (March 2021, 4 years after Breath 1. Blowout at E3 and September Direct)
  • Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes (November 2021, announced with statement of no more yearly releases of core titles at E3.)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (October 2021, Confirmed in September Direct)
  • The Legend of Zelda Maker (Based on a much expanded and overhauled Link's Awakening system, June 2021, Confirmed in September Direct)
  • Monolith mystery title (Revealed at Game Awards 2020)

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

I predict that we may have 1-2 unique titles from any of the big AAA Japanese developers..I cannot say more because this year has not been encouraging to me. Despite the Switch's success, the big Japanese developers (with the exception of Square Enix) have not been as supportive for the Switch as I had hoped. Where are some unique or new games? People say its only year 2 of the Switch; but in 2020, there are no more excuses.

Capcom has done nothing but ports (with the exception of Mega Man 11) and have showed no signs of developing a new unique AA-AAA title for the Switch (i.e., Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, etc.). Sega (with the exception of Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces, Team Sonic Racing, and Valkyria Chronicles 4) is a little better. But what about a Yakuza game or a House of the Dead game? Was that new Sakura Wars project in development before the Switch was a thing? What about Persona beyond Scramble? Hell, where is SMT V? Do the AAA Japanese developers need more tests or something? Its just ridiculous. I am not saying everything has to come to Switch, but I SHOULD expect more support in 2020..It's just hard to justify that kind of prediction since I have seen little evidence/hints of better support for the Switch from the likes of Capcom, Sega, and even Namco Bandai.

A series of loz:la inspired gb remakes with similar art style. E.g: Super Mario land, Donkey Kong land, Kirby, wario land etc.

Zelda dungeon maker.

Something metroid related (AA, 3rd party dev) as a stop gap.

Wild card:
Starfox vehicle based warriors style game.
Nintendo themed kart racer, not Mario kart.

Wish:
FE soul calibur inspired fighter.
Eternal darkness x Dark souls crossover; Eternal Souls.

Whats interesting is that Nintendo's internal studios haven't made a lot of Switch yet. 2017 had 5 games (Zelda, 1-2-Switch, ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Odyssey). 2018 had just Labo and 2019 has Super Mario Maker 2 and Ring Fit Adventure. A lot of the other teams haven't released much. I feel like 2020 could be a big year, especially with the other consoles arriving that year. Right now the only thing we know is Animal Crossing and Xenoblade DE. I feel like Nintendo will have a few surprises to keep attention on the Switch. May also be the year of the Switch Pro in order to stay close to the new system's performance.

I do think Retro will have something. I've heard discussion that they may have canceled a game in 2016 and started again. They did hire some people in 2017. I also think Zelda could be 2020. They may not have mentioned the release date as they may want it coming out close to the PS5 (as Nintendo does care what Sony does).

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Snesboy said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

- New Paper Mario
- New WarioWare

I want all of this. I know we won't get any of it.

@OP

I think a Game & Watch Museum would be the best thing I ever needed in my life.

Yeah let's be honest - 70% of this (or equivalently awesome) announcements likely won't happen heh. fun to speculate though. And who knows! certainly didn't expect a remake to Trials of Mana - the sequel to my favorite RPG - announced for next year either. Never know what to expect from the big N. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

My prediction is that we are not going to see a lot of first party games like this year, but still a good one:

TMS#FE
Animal Crossing NH
Xenoblade Chronicles DE
New 2D Mario game for November. With a similar artstyle and world like SMW. Design wise, way above what SMM2 can do
New Kirby game
GB, GBC and GBA games coming to the Switch online.
I can see also an Splatoon spin-off coming this year.

I expect a new Monolith Soft, BOTW 2 and a new 3D Mario game to come in 2021. SMT V (at least on the west) and Bayo 3 too.
At best, MP4 is a fall 2021 title.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile