By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Finally joined the PC Master Race

Lol.. thanks everyone.. and yea, I used to think the PC Master race thingy was cringy too, but it's all fun and games to me now. In actuality, I'm just glad I got a rig that's pc game worthy now. Did cost a bit to get going, but overall, I think it's a good investment. Time to see what all them DF analyses are about..

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Around the Network

Welcome to the herd club.

About your future upgrade plans: Ever thought about an AMD CPU instead of a Core i9? Not noticeably slower anymore, but still noticeably cheaper.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 17 September 2019

Your rig is pretty dope. Though my Ryzen 1700 is still kicking ass so I'll wait to upgrade.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

About your future upgrade plans: Ever thought about an AMD CPU instead of a Core i9? Not noticeably slower anymore, but still noticeably cheaper.

I have thought about going AMD.. but I don't know.. last time I went to team red, I had pretty crappy performance with the CPU.. so I've been hesitant since.  Does seem nowadays though, best bang for buck are all AMD CPUs..  will decide later on though when I do decide to upgrade my mobo and CPU.. will be based on performance at the time.  Threadrippers  and the new Ryzen 9 do peak my interest though.. ain't going to lie.

well your computer is good enough for a long time. no reason to waste so much money for a little upgrade. why did you buy older generation cpu / gpu in the first place?

Around the Network
ruffy37 said:
well your computer is good enough for a long time. no reason to waste so much money for a little upgrade. why did you buy older generation cpu / gpu in the first place?

It began as a starter build to be able to play games at better settings.. but as I got into it, I wanted a semi decent performance build..  CPU was chosen just because I got a good deal on it.  $200 through offerup.. GPU was the same.. got a great deal off a buddy who was upgrading.. $300 bucks for the card with almost 2 years warranty still on it.  Once I had those 2 core components, everything else came together.. 

I came in here to laugh at another attempt to build a decent midrange rig and claiming it as master race material but damn, this one is actually not half bad. In fact it's slightly better than the one I built 2 years ago. I really need to upgrade.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Welcome to the club.

Also, welcome to the 1080ti VIP lounge

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

BillyBong said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I have thought about going AMD.. but I don't know.. last time I went to team red, I had pretty crappy performance with the CPU.. so I've been hesitant since.  Does seem nowadays though, best bang for buck are all AMD CPUs..  will decide later on though when I do decide to upgrade my mobo and CPU.. will be based on performance at the time.  Threadrippers  and the new Ryzen 9 do peak my interest though.. ain't going to lie.

Threadrippers are not really that great for gaming unless you intend to play 10 games at once. AMD has made great strides and they're in the process of overtaking Intel because Intel hugely fucked up in their development line. For now it's the same as always: If you have money go Intel, if you want to save a bit but still have performance go AMD. This might change in the next 2 years depending on if Intel lets it happen.

Just don't try to be blinded by core and GHz numbers or theoretical and app benchmarks. AMD has all of those in the bag, yet they still lag slightly behind in raw gaming performance.

BTW you missed the most important thing. What kind of resolution are you playing on? If you're still on 1080p ditch it asap and go 1440p.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Snesboy said:
Your rig is pretty dope. Though my Ryzen 1700 is still kicking ass so I'll wait to upgrade.

Handy enough with Ryzen all using socket AM4 you could be able to get yourself an upgrade with only changing the CPU and not needing to chuck out the board/ram this time around, jump from the 1700 > 3600x if you've got a 400/500 series chipset in your mobo and yeah... you'll be right up to date with performance for 200quid

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X/3917vs4041

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-3600-Processor-Cache/dp/B07SQBFN2D/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3N7S07BJ20BFP&keywords=3600%2Bryzen&qid=1568782104&s=gateway&sprefix=3600%2Bry%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-3&th=1

very motherboard specific if you got a cheaper older board when you bought your 1700 you'll have to look up compatibility with Zen2 cpus.

@OP Nice build, would be interested to know what monitor (s) you're using with that setup, If you're on 1080p/1440p displays you really wont have much use of an upgrade to the 1080ti for a while imo

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive