By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 31 August 2019

Radek said:

How are people even able to still buy new VITAs in Japan? Haven't they stopped making them like half a year ago?

At the extremely slow rate they're selling, the final few shipments might take a while to gradually drip dry.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 September 2019

Around the Network

The difference for the top console at the end of its life cycle holding strong and the loser faded away and still a year until the new cycle.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

curl-6 said:
Radek said:

How are people even able to still buy new VITAs in Japan? Haven't they stopped making them like half a year ago?

At the extremely slow rate they're selling, the final few shipments might take a while to gradually drip dry.

Yeah, it's kind of like how you could still buy new NES and SMS systems as late as the PS2 era new at retail despite being out of production for nearly a decade. The same thing happened with the Saturn, it was the first console to be discontinued that generation (by far) but the last one you saw sitting dusty on shelves after the end of the generation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Anyway, great to see the Switch doing so well! I am a gigantic supporter of the direction Nintendo is going. I also like the shift back toward Wii style games, which I feel is the current weakness in its lineup, as the joycons feel a bit underutilized after they showed so much promise in the console previews. I miss the party games of the Wii era, the closest thing that exists is Mario Kart, and that's more of a sober office gettogether type game than an all-out party experience like WarioWare, Guitar Hero, or Just Dance. I am looking forward to seeing a reemergence of motion-based and party-based gaming in 2020 and beyond. 

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

curl-6 said:
The Switch-Xbone lifetime gap is now down to just 6 million.

Also, Switch well above every other platform combined for the week.

Aye, was thinking that as well, the Switch sold more than every other system combined... and that includes the nearly 20k 3DS's which are also Nintendo owned, the popularity of the Switch could really hamper titles going to the ps5/neXtBox imo because over the next 18 months the ps4/X1 are going to die down an awful lot while it seems that the Switch is set to continue on this pace for at least the next 4 months if not grow with the new revision and Pokemon for Christmas, just means that by the time Sony and MS are dropping their 10 Teraflop next gen machines Nintendo is going to have roped in an awful lot of devs creating games for their little.... what .5Teraflop machine? Tough to convince a game dev to put the work into a game to make use of 20x the processing power and create 4k textures and 7.1 audio when you have a machine like the Switch which works just fine at 720/900/1080p assets and is selling a million units a month.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Great to see for Switch, and not all too surprising, at least anymore, considering that absolute plethora of solid games you can play on it. Granted most of them are ports/sequels at this point, but still. Great games are great games!

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Ganoncrotch said:
curl-6 said:
The Switch-Xbone lifetime gap is now down to just 6 million.

Also, Switch well above every other platform combined for the week.

Aye, was thinking that as well, the Switch sold more than every other system combined... and that includes the nearly 20k 3DS's which are also Nintendo owned, the popularity of the Switch could really hamper titles going to the ps5/neXtBox imo because over the next 18 months the ps4/X1 are going to die down an awful lot while it seems that the Switch is set to continue on this pace for at least the next 4 months if not grow with the new revision and Pokemon for Christmas, just means that by the time Sony and MS are dropping their 10 Teraflop next gen machines Nintendo is going to have roped in an awful lot of devs creating games for their little.... what .5Teraflop machine? Tough to convince a game dev to put the work into a game to make use of 20x the processing power and create 4k textures and 7.1 audio when you have a machine like the Switch which works just fine at 720/900/1080p assets and is selling a million units a month.

Honestly, I think Switch and PS5/Scarlet are such different products with such different value propositions that they won't harm each other. I mean, the massive success of the Wii/DS didn't stop devs making HD games for PS3/360.

DarthMetalliCube said:

Great to see for Switch, and not all too surprising, at least anymore, considering that absolute plethora of solid games you can play on it. Granted most of them are ports/sequels at this point, but still. Great games are great games!

strange comment to make during the 2 weeks where Astral Chain and Daemon X Machina launch for the system, but I guess out of the 2,000 titles on the Switch it is a correct statement that most games on the system are ports just from a % point of view, the same would be true of all consoles and the PC of course since there are far more multiplatform games than exclusives, just saying that the last few weeks / months have been pretty cool for new IP exclusive titles on the Switch.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Honestly, I think Switch and PS5/Scarlet are such different products with such different value propositions that they won't harm each other. I mean, the massive success of the Wii/DS didn't stop devs making HD games for PS3/360.

Quite possible but the majority of PS3/360 titles were running at 720p up from the 480 of the Wii so they were still in the same region of pixels, but a ton of Switch titles right now are sub 1080p at 720/900p and I think the next gen machines are gonna be looking at pushing for 4k or 1440p at least in all titles, a dev wanting to create a game for the machine selling like hot cakes is going to need to do a hell of a lot of work to go from 720p>4k especially if they're going to be looking at the sales of one of those systems if one does great and the other tanks it's very unlikely that they'll get 3rd party love @ 4k

Sorry I'm just looking through my crystal ball here and it gets a bit muddy at 18 months out :D who knows what happens, maybe it turns out that bitter taste on the Switch carts actually makes people die from dysentry 3 years after licking them so the Switch will have no install base when the next Sony / MS consoles drop.

Ganoncrotch said:
curl-6 said:

Quite possible but the majority of PS3/360 titles were running at 720p up from the 480 of the Wii so they were still in the same region of pixels, but a ton of Switch titles right now are sub 1080p at 720/900p and I think the next gen machines are gonna be looking at pushing for 4k or 1440p at least in all titles, a dev wanting to create a game for the machine selling like hot cakes is going to need to do a hell of a lot of work to go from 720p>4k especially if they're going to be looking at the sales of one of those systems if one does great and the other tanks it's very unlikely that they'll get 3rd party love @ 4k

Sorry I'm just looking through my crystal ball here and it gets a bit muddy at 18 months out :D who knows what happens, maybe it turns out that bitter taste on the Switch carts actually makes people die from dysentry 3 years after licking them so the Switch will have no install base when the next Sony / MS consoles drop.

That sounds plausible until you actually calculate the amount of pixels. 720p, at same color depth and framerate, is 3 times larger in it's amount of pixels as 480p does, partially due to 480p only being a 4:3 format. 4k is 4 times larger than 1080p, while 1440p is about twice as large as 1080p.

In fact, due to diminishing returns and due to details becoming so small that one doesn't recognize them anymore unless put directly side by side, the difference will be less visible than it was with the Wii.

What will cost the Switch more is not the resolution, but the lower grade models, textures lightning, and so on, which are far more visually striking than just the amount of pixels.