By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "Big in Japan Sale" in PlayStationStore for Fans of japanese Games

method114 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

I'm all for welcoming opposing opinions but when you've only played 2 out of 7 games and say "don't listen to him" regarding which order to paly them in it's kind of hard to take you seriously.

That's fine but there is a key reason I would play 0 before 1 and 2-7 couldn't possibly change that. 

Spoiler!
IMO 0 sets up the relationship between you and Nishiki and makes 1 so much better because of it. Trying to imagine playing 1 without knowing the real bond you have with Nishki just doesn't make 1 nearly as good as it was playing it after 0. Sega just did a magnificent job at setting up 1 with 0. I couldn't stop rushing through the story in 1 because I wanted to know what happened to my boy Nishki. It wouldn't have meant as much to me without 0.

Now if you have reasons for why the original way is better I'm willing to listen to them. Also almost everyone recommend playing 0 first. From gaming websites to reddit. It's the most common choice. They even did a poll and 0 won with 60% of the votes. Also when you say it's the intended order did you read something straight from dev or are just assuming that's the case because of the order they were released?

I haven't played Kiwami myself (but have seen it played by a friend), but two big reasons make 0 a bad place to start if you're looking to play through the whole series IMO. The first one is the gameplay will spoil you, and you will expect a lot of features and functions that simply aren't there. This is somewhat mitigated if you play Kiwami and Kiwami 2, but it'll feel even worse when you get to Yakuza 3 at that point.

The second, and much more major one, is something I won't go into too deeply because I don't want to spoil anyone, is Majima's character. Since you've reportedly only played 0 and Kiwami and started with 0, you probably don't understand how much you're missing of Majima and his development by seeing him in 0's light first. It's a massive disservice to anyone experiencing the series IMO.

As for the points you brought up, all of this is experienced just fine by playing 1 as it is. I had the exact same feeling you did without playing 0 first, because the story engrosses you immediately and establishes the bond very strongly. That doesn't disappear if you haven't played 0. 0 didn't exist when I played it and I felt all that urgency just fine.

0 also has a ton of references and easter eggs to later games which anyone who starts with it won't understand at all.

It's definitely possible to start with 0, and SEGA took care to make sure that it is a viable starting point for anyone who wants to get into the series, but I'd say that anyone who does so is doing themselves big harm storywise, and making it more difficult mechanically to enjoy 3 and 4 after it.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
I did not see Dragon's Crown. Liars!

I saw it for PS3 before I was aware there was a reason for this big sale. Can't speak for PS4.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
method114 said:

That's fine but there is a key reason I would play 0 before 1 and 2-7 couldn't possibly change that. 

Spoiler!
IMO 0 sets up the relationship between you and Nishiki and makes 1 so much better because of it. Trying to imagine playing 1 without knowing the real bond you have with Nishki just doesn't make 1 nearly as good as it was playing it after 0. Sega just did a magnificent job at setting up 1 with 0. I couldn't stop rushing through the story in 1 because I wanted to know what happened to my boy Nishki. It wouldn't have meant as much to me without 0.

Now if you have reasons for why the original way is better I'm willing to listen to them. Also almost everyone recommend playing 0 first. From gaming websites to reddit. It's the most common choice. They even did a poll and 0 won with 60% of the votes. Also when you say it's the intended order did you read something straight from dev or are just assuming that's the case because of the order they were released?

I haven't played Kiwami myself (but have seen it played by a friend), but two big reasons make 0 a bad place to start if you're looking to play through the whole series IMO. The first one is the gameplay will spoil you, and you will expect a lot of features and functions that simply aren't there. This is somewhat mitigated if you play Kiwami and Kiwami 2, but it'll feel even worse when you get to Yakuza 3 at that point.

The second, and much more major one, is something I won't go into too deeply because I don't want to spoil anyone, is Majima's character. Since you've reportedly only played 0 and Kiwami and started with 0, you probably don't understand how much you're missing of Majima and his development by seeing him in 0's light first. It's a massive disservice to anyone experiencing the series IMO.

As for the points you brought up, all of this is experienced just fine by playing 1 as it is. I had the exact same feeling you did without playing 0 first, because the story engrosses you immediately and establishes the bond very strongly. That doesn't disappear if you haven't played 0. 0 didn't exist when I played it and I felt all that urgency just fine.

0 also has a ton of references and easter eggs to later games which anyone who starts with it won't understand at all.

It's definitely possible to start with 0, and SEGA took care to make sure that it is a viable starting point for anyone who wants to get into the series, but I'd say that anyone who does so is doing themselves big harm storywise, and making it more difficult mechanically to enjoy 3 and 4 after it.

Ok fair enough like you said I haven't played all the games so you could be right. I'm slowly making my way through the series don't want to get burnt out on them. I've heard the gameplay issue you've brought up from other people online to. This one doesn't bother me as much because honestly I don't really care about the gameplay in these games. The story is all I care about. It's very well done in these games. It'll be interesting to see what you mean about Majima though.

in february, yakuza ps4-collection with yakuza 3-5 are coming guys

KazumaKiryu said:

Hope for a PC version.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
KazumaKiryu said:

Hope for a PC version.

All Yakuza-Games are on PS4 incl. "Judgement", Yakuza 7 and Shenmue 1-3 :) And Samurai-Yakuza Ishin(but only with japan import) ^^
My motto: Lifetime is too valuable, enjoy every moment and dont wait with uncertainty : D These low prices are really great.

edit. There are so many big PS4-Games you will never play on pc (the JRPG-Masterpiece Persona 5, The Last of Us, Uncharted Games, Ghost of Tsushima in future ect), maybe its time for you :)

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 13 September 2019

KazumaKiryu said:
Random_Matt said:

Hope for a PC version.

All Yakuza-Games are on PS4 incl. "Judgement", Yakuza 7 and Shenmue 1-3 :) And Samurai-Yakuza Ishin(but only with japan import) ^^
My motto: Lifetime is too valuable, enjoy every moment and dont wait with uncertainty : D These low prices are really great.

0,1 and 2 are on steam, sure the rest will follow.

Just got Ace Combat 7 for 30 Nice deal, thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to try out the Su-57, MiG Berkut, F-35 II and of course the F-22

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Bristow9091 said:
Regarding the whole Yakuza order thing, I'm currently playing 5, I've only played 3-5, and my intended order is;

3, 4, 5, 0, 1, 2, 6

Basically for me it's the PS3 trilogy, followed by the prequel trilogy, and finish it off with a proper ending in 6

the japanese Yakuza 5 version ?

Love the original yakuza-games on PS2 too.. its a little bit other atmosphere and comic-stil < 3

Bristow9091 said:
KazumaKiryu said:

the japanese Yakuza 5 version ?

Love the original yakuza-games on PS2 too.. its a little bit other atmosphere and comic-stil < 3

No, the English version, it was released on PS3 in 2015 digitally and given away for free on PlayStation Plus, lol. Just finished it last night actually. 

As for games on sale here, there's a few I might have to pick up, including Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Got it on PS3 but the remaster looks a lot better) and Final Fantasy VII, see if I can play it again before the remake comes out lol

good to know! Have fun!!

Hiku said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

So 1,2,3,4,5,0,6 instead of 0-6?

I think there are merits and cons for either approach. I played 0 after playing several other Yakuza games. And if you've already played some Yakuza games, I'd recommend continuing in the chronological order.
But if you're just starting out, then I recommend starting with 0.

I think 0 is the best one in the series (I haven't played 6 yet), but going in the chronological order may result in you never getting to 0.
It's a bit similar to the playthroughs of Nier: Automata. If you stick through it, you may find it rewarding. But a lot of people quit after playthrough A, or during B, and it's understandable.
Because I feel it's easy to get burned out on Yakuza games, in spite of them all having different stories, and unique and very fleshed out side stories and mini games. Because the difference in the core gameplay mechanics is usually not a lot.

Though I agree with Tenshinhan that if you start with 0 > Kiwami > Kiwami 2, then some of the others (primarily 3 and 4 imo) will feel more outdated gameplay wise.
But at the same time, I think story wise it's more interesting to start with 0 for 2 reasons. The second being by far the most important.

1.) 0 fleshes out a very important character from 1 (Kiwami), whose story feels a lot more shallow without the context of 0. Though likewise, playing Kiwami 1 before 0 will have you experiencing this character's story in 0 differently as well. But I think the former option is more interesting between the two.

2.) There is a major character introduced in 0, that has been added to Kiwami 2, but only in the form of a few cutscenes. (This character did not exist in the original Yakuza 2.) And their inclusion into Kiwami 2 was very important to me, because it concludes the imo hands down best storyline of the entire series.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Why does the U.S. Playstation store discount every Yakuza game EXCEPT 0? I'm waiting to start the franchise with 0 specifically because it's the first in the timeline. But it never gets discounted.

I have seen 0 go on sale a few times, but it is odd that it is not on sale now. At first I thought maybe it was because it was recently (?) added to Greatest Hits, so it's already at a discounted $20. But then I saw Kiwami being 50% off at $10 in spite of being added to Greatest Hits as well.
But I'm sure 0 will be on sale soon enough. So keep a lookout for it. It's a great game.

for me too (Kiwami 2 = best story) :)