By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
StarDoor said:
JRPGfan said:

The other side of the coin, is 9? out of the top20, arn't avalible on the Switch.

Thats almost half of the top20 games, cant be played on a switch.

Interesting. You do realize that 9 out of the top 20 are Nintendo exclusives, right?

And yet I don't see you saying, "That's almost half of the top 20 games that can't be played on PS4." Funny how that works.

If you look at it and take in games in other regions it's also possible to say that 12 of the 20 are playable on the Switch not 11/20. Still though, compare the fact that the top listing of games in any capacity has Nintendo titles in it compared to their last machine when it would be lucky to see a single WiiU title in the top 20 at the 2 year mark in that systems life, crazy to think, the Switch is coming up on 3x the sales of the WiiU in half the time of being on the market (if we counted the Switch launch as the official death day for the WiiU)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
HerlockSholmes said:

Again: I could be wrong with my method somehow/somewhere, but I'm like 90-95% sure that the results should be in those ranges:

June:

[NSW] 342K - 352K
[PS4] 188K - 229K (probably above 200K, below are some edge cases)
[XB1] 158K - 165K

July:

[NSW] 247K - 258K
[PS4] 176K - 184K
[XB1] 103K - 109K

August:

[NSW] 238K - 262K
[PS4] 178K - 200K (approx.)
[XB1] 98K - 102K

Last three months:

[NSW] 827K - 872K (up 5 - 10% YoY; last year NSW also had strong sales after E3)
[PS4] 542K - 613K (down 19 - 29% YoY; so a better performance than in April and May where it had a tough YoY comparison due to GoW)
[XB1] 359K - 376K (down 34 - 37% YoY; let's see if they got something up their sleeve for the rest of the year)

How do these numbers compare to those here on VGChartz?

Shadow1980 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

How do these numbers compare to those here on VGChartz?

VGC has the following according to http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php?reg=USA&ending=Monthly (rounded to the nearest thousand):

June

NSW: 265k
PS4: 255k
XBO: 110k

July

NSW: 278k
PS4: 201k
XBO: 103k

August

NSW: 331k
PS4: 248k
XBO: 122k

Thx for the data Shadow. So, let's compare:

In June, PS4 is overtracked while both Switch and XBO are strongly undertracked

In July XBO is about right while Switch and PS4 are slightly overtracked

In August everyone is overtracked quite a bit.

As for the 3 months totals, Switch comes out minimally too high, PS4 is overtracked by at least 90k while the XBO is somewhat undertracked.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 30 September 2019

HerlockSholmes said:

Again: I could be wrong with my method somehow/somewhere, but I'm like 90-95% sure that the results should be in those ranges:

June:

[NSW] 342K - 352K
[XB1] 158K - 165K

July:

[NSW] 247K - 258K
[PS4] 176K - 184K
[XB1] 103K - 109K

August:

[NSW] 238K - 262K
[XB1] 98K - 102K

Last three months:

[NSW] 827K - 872K (up 5 - 10% YoY; last year NSW also had strong sales after E3)
[PS4] 542K - 613K (down 19 - 29% YoY; so a better performance than in April and May where it had a tough YoY comparison due to GoW)
[XB1] 359K - 376K (down 34 - 37% YoY; let's see if they got something up their sleeve for the rest of the year)

What exactly is your method?

thismeintiel said:
HerlockSholmes said:

June:

[NSW] 342K - 352K
[XB1] 158K - 165K

July:

[NSW] 247K - 258K
[PS4] 176K - 184K
[XB1] 103K - 109K

August:

[NSW] 238K - 262K
[XB1] 98K - 102K

Last three months:

I'm really curious about that as well. I mean, why is everybody so quick to assume that these numbers are more trustworthy than the ones provided by VGC? Especially when the poster did not specifically say that they were leaked numbers, and literally said that he was just 90-95% sure of them.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
thismeintiel said:

I'm really curious about that as well. I mean, why is everybody so quick to assume that these numbers are more trustworthy than the ones provided by VGC? Especially when the poster did not specifically say that they were leaked numbers, and literally said that he was just 90-95% sure of them.

1: Because the numbers are close to the winner predictions on Era.
2: We don't have any alternatives and basically depend on these to be true.

It's only natural for the leaker to be cautious about revealing identity, source, exact numbers, methods, etc. considering how deadly NPD's ninjas have been in the past.

We back to mid 2017 where we only had rough estimate instead of "leaks", but that's surely better than nothing. Will update thread later.

Replicant said:
chakkra said:

1: Because the numbers are close to the winner predictions on Era.
2: We don't have any alternatives and basically depend on these to be true.

It's only natural for the leaker to be cautious about revealing identity, source, exact numbers, methods, etc. considering how deadly NPD's ninjas have been in the past.

We are on a website that literally provides estimates every week. Shouldn't we wait to see if the VGC team actually acknowledges these estimates?

chakkra said:
thismeintiel said:

I'm guessing that these are just ranges estimated using the prediction winners on Era, not actual leaks. 

VideoGameAccountant said:

The trends and the charts are still useful. They are going to get discussed somewhere so might as well do it here.

I agree that the US needs a real sales tracker. How Famitsu and Media Create are able to do that for free is what I'd be interesting in knowing. 

Y'know, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to contact Famitsu and see what it would take for them to start tracking sales in the U.S. I mean, they're a freakin' video game magazine and they've been putting out weekly numbers for free for over 20 years. Twenty years! Maybe we do need a company that's not some nebulous market research company.

That's probably what it is. Still, it may not be as costly as it seems. I mean, this is a magazine and they are able to get numbers weekly. In the age of Patreon, it may be possible to set something up like this if we know how they do it. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life