By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition announced for Switch (2020)

I kind of wish they waited another generation to remake the OG Xenoblade. This has fixed the weaknesses in the original's visuals, the character models and the textures up close, but it doesn't seem to be improving the vistas anywhere near as much as I'd like, and overall it still seems to have the worst visuals in the series. I guess it's to be expected that a remake wouldn't match up to a completely new game. Still will be a real treat for anyone who didn't play it before.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

I am a bit mixed on the announcement in general. After further thought, I'm happy it's getting released, but this is the FOURTH time it has come out.
Of all three Xeno-games that would be considered, it is literally the LEAST exciting they could have announced: Xenogears, Xenosaga, or Xenoblade Chronicles X would have all been more exciting.

I doubt you will ever see anything done with xenogears and xenosaga.  I know monolith has the rights to xeno, but with square making and publishing xenogears and namco publishing xenosaga, I’m sure the rights to those games are murky enough that they will be lost to time.

h2ohno said:
I kind of wish they waited another generation to remake the OG Xenoblade. This has fixed the weaknesses in the original's visuals, the character models and the textures up close, but it doesn't seem to be improving the vistas anywhere near as much as I'd like, and overall it still seems to have the worst visuals in the series. I guess it's to be expected that a remake wouldn't match up to a completely new game. Still will be a real treat for anyone who didn't play it before.

Don't think waiting a generation would do anything. It's not the Switch's power holding back the visuals of this, it's the amount of work.

They could make it look a lot better on Switch if they wanted to.

Barkley said:
Was going to start XB2 soon, but now I'm going to wait for this!

They don’t need to be played in order.  They are loosely connected at best.  You may get a better understanding of some of the stuff that happens at the end of the 2nd game by playing the first, but still, not necessary at all.  It is a stand alone game.

Wyrdness said:
Remake looks sharp, glad the original is getting such a push as it was the game that started the seamless open world approach for jrpg no game was like it at the time. I'm sure X will also get a version on Switch as well although I'd like to see Pandora's Tower get the same treatment.

Eh, don't forget The Last Story. The holy trinity of Operation Rainfall

Around the Network

This is good for me. I have the original one but never had a chance to play it so hopefully if i pick this up ill actually be able to play it.

PAOerfulone said:
It's one of my favorite games of all time and one of the greatest RPGs ever made. The one biggest regret I had about it was that it never had the sales to reflect its quality. It was released right at the end of the Wii's life cycle when it was already dead, everyone had moved on to next Gen, and its release was rather limited... Almost didn't even happen (Remember Operation: Rainfall?) And then it got a port to the New 3DS which butchered its sales potential even more. Now we'll finally get to see it live up to its TRUE potential.

Buy this, play this, and you'll thank me later!

I think part of the reason was that it was (if I remember correctly) only released at GameStop in North America.

In any event, I'm ready to buy it for a third time!!

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was awesome! I'm glad the first game is coming to the Switch! Can't wait!! :D

Loved Xenoblade on the Wii, but I never took the time to properly play through the side quests and extra stuff (even if some of the fetch quests were kinda annoying) so I'm definitely hyped to revisit this game with brand new graphics.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

SpokenTruth said:
Hiku said:

https://youtu.be/l86GCaqZuxY?t=166 At 2:45 in this clip, is this Xenoblade music?
It sounds like Wild Arms music. So maybe they have the same composer.

That's Xenoblade music.

Oh yeah, that at the linked point in the youtube-video is the day music of the leg of bionis. I remember it so specifically, because that was the point I went from enjoying the game to falling deeply in love with it. The leg of Bionis is the first part that opens up to a really big environment and this is added with this so enjoyable music. I roamed the leg just for looking around to the music because that alone was so great. I love the song to this day.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]