By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 34, 2019 (August 19th - August 25th) - Oninaki

Switch more than 3:1 over PS4, but depressing numbers all around with the highest selling platform at only 30k and PS4 below 10k.

Around the Network

Ouch at those hardware numbers

I mean, what were you guys expecting for hardware?
Now that Obon Week has come and gone, the Switch Lite is around the corner, and the new Switch model comes in the next update - meaning Japanese customers are holding out for not 1, but 2, new Switch models. Baseline sales were going to take a dive at some point. If you check the rankings on Amazon Japan right now the new, upgraded models are #1 and #3 respectively with 2 days left before they release. Sales are going to go right back up next week.

Let's see how much the new model can influence the sales on it's own. Considering it's constantly sold out on Amazon US, I doubt the situation will be much different in Japan and thus the hardware spike will be negligible. Once it's availability improves however I think we'll see an increased baseline

Can PS4 hit 10 million in Japan? I'm starting to think not.

Around the Network

Oninaki, kinda a flop on both systems. Of course digital-sales could be really high

Oninaki will have sold more on Switch in the west. No doubt about it.

bananaking21 said:

Who said it would? Kerotan? You could see that not happening almost a year ago.

OTBWY said:
bananaking21 said:

Who said it would? Kerotan? You could see that not happening almost a year ago.

Unless some pretty drastic pricecut comes, It will get very hard for sure. PS4 dropped quite a lot now compared to last year's numbers, where the PS4 was pulling over 15k per week even without releases, but now to reach 15k it needs already some fairly substantial game releases. At this rate the PS4 will just barely sell over 1M units for the whole year, a far cry from the 1.75M from last year.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
RolStoppable said:

This is the week after Obon, so everything dropped. Fire Emblem's drop is in line with the rest of the top 10.

The launch of Switch Lite should easily be above 100k for the Lite alone in that week, so Switch software should naturally see increases across the board. Depends on what you consider a big spike, but Fire Emblem should see at least some boost; most of the benefits will go to the usual evergreens.

When I say "falling" and "spiking" I am referring to chart position.  The raw numbers put this FE at 221k so far.  Fates sold about 100k more during it's first week alone in Japan.  At first glance it seems like Fire Emblem has lost some of its base in Japan.  I am wondering if they are actually just waiting for the Lite edition in order to get Fire Emblem.

As others have mentioned, there will drop off going from 3DS to Switch for some franchises.

That and Fates has lost a lot of its goodwill and isn't perceived as one of the better entries in the series by some fans.

And also, the Oninaki comments were so harsh.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.