By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Just played Final Fantasy VII Remake

Chrkeller said:

I never thought it was going to be multiple 2 hour games. I figured it was Xenosaga, you know that giant Japanese rpg that was released at full price in multiple episodes.

Development costs have skyrocketed since the ps1.  I get why FFVII is multiple episodes.  I don't see it as an issue.  And again, I don't get the sensitivity around calling it what it is.  FFVII is a single story, with multiple pieces.

No one complained about it being called multi-part game or whatever. But episodes have an expected duration of couple hours, just that confusion was prevented by they changing the name, that simple.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
I never thought it was going to be multiple 2 hour games. I figured it was Xenosaga, you know that giant Japanese rpg that was released at full price in multiple episodes.

Those are still full games. The story way be separated, but just because they are called Episode I-II-III doesn’t make them episodic games the way we describe such games these days.

Like the Star Wars movies having Episode in their titles don’t really differentiate them from the format used for the LOTR films. 

They’re full movies or games, but only a part of an overarching story spanning multiple entries.

Xenosaga, it has been done before.  Xenosaga is blatantly referred to as episodes.

Hynad said:
Chrkeller said:

Those are still full games. The story way be separated, but just because they are called Episode I-II-III doesn’t make them episodic games the way we describe such games these days.

Like the Star Wars movies having Episode in their titles don’t really differentiate them from the format used for the LOTR films. 

They’re full movies or games, but only a part of an overarching story spanning multiple entries.

Star Wars having episodes in the name clearly made it a soap opera.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrkeller said:

Xenosaga, it has been done before.  Xenosaga is blatantly referred to as episodes.

Yet they are not what we call episodic games.

Around the Network

Look at it this way, jumping into disk 3 of FFVII without playing the first two disks would be odd. It wouldn't work.  Same with Star Wars... watching jedi without background wouldnt work.  hence the term episodes. Because the first pieces are required to understand the latter pieces.

Uncharted 2 doesn't require uncharted 1 to understand 99% of the story.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 26 August 2019

Chrkeller said:
Look at it this way, jumping into disk 3 of FFVII without playing the first two disks would be odd. It wouldn't work. The same isn't true with Uncharted. Same with Star Wars... hence the term episodes. Because the first pieces are required to understand the latter pieces.

Do you buy the full game once and then get parts of it every few months until it is done, or maybe get them episode per episode for a few bucks every time an episode lands, with the complete thing being a 20-30 hour experience, or do you buy a 50-60 hours game once every year or two?

Regardless of how they name such game, what makes it episodic or not is the way it is distributed. One is a single game separated into bite size parts every few months, which can often be bought at once as a season, while the other is a full game bought once for the whole thing, with subsequent parts of the same story not being delivered as bite size episodes, but as full sequels.

The fact that the original game wasn’t like that has no bearing in this. The remake is adding a lot of stuff that weren’t in the original either.

In any case, I know you understand full well what an episodic game is, yet you seem hellbent on arguing over this. Why?

I don't worry about game length to be honest. Quality trumps quantity. Game length is a worthless measure.

And the remake is episodes. I'm not arguing but rather laughing at the sensitivity of others.

Again, episodes aren't a bad thing. Star Wars is amazing, despite being episodes.

All episodes mean is watching (or playing) the first pieces are largely required to understand the full picture.  Nothing more.  Length doesn't play a role.  Playing disk 3 of FFVII without playing the earlier content would be stupid.

Chrkeller said:

I don't worry about game length to be honest. Quality trumps quantity. Game length is a worthless measure.

And the remake is episodes. I'm not arguing but rather laughing at the sensitivity of others.

Again, episodes aren't a bad thing. Star Wars is amazing, despite being episodes.

All episodes mean is watching (or playing) the first pieces are largely required to understand the full picture.  Nothing more.  Length doesn't play a role.  Playing disk 3 of FFVII without playing the earlier content would be stupid.

Ok, by continually dismissing/not addressing what is referred to as episodic games in the current industry, you clearly show that you want to argue for arguing sake. I’d say that’s as laughable (if not more-so) as what you consider other people’s sensitivity.

Lol, ok.