By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Dragon Quest XI S gonna be the best multiplatform game released on the Switch?

Is it the best multiplatform game released on the Switch?

Yes 14 51.85%

No (say which one is it) 8 29.63%

We should wait until it releases it... 5 18.52%

Total:27
Radek said:

No, that would be The Witcher 3, they performed some serious black magic to get it working, look and run pretty decent at that.

But the Witcher 3 technical compromises on Switch are far more prominent than the ones done on DQXI, to the point where the game looks maybe a little too blurry. Also, in portable mode framerate is a bit uneven. Plus... it's just the same game every other platform got, while DQXI S has a ton of new and exclusive content. Finally, we got one of the biggest demos I've ever seen, clocking at 10 hours. As for right now, there are no plans for a demo of The Witcher 3 on Switch.

Don't get me wrong, I think The Witcher 3 on Switch is a huge achivement for Saber and CDProjekt. A realistic open world running at 1080p and 30fps on PS4 being ported to a much weaker machine at such a good level is nuts. However, I feel like DQXI is not only as good ported, but it will have exclusive content and a free 10 hour demo. I think that's hard to beat...

Around the Network
Radek said:
Vodacixi said:

But the Witcher 3 technical compromises on Switch are far more prominent than the ones done on DQXI, to the point where the game looks maybe a little to blurry. Also, in portable mode framerate is a bit uneven. Plus... it's just the same game every other platform got, while DQXI S has a ton of new and exclusive content. Finally, we got one of the biggest demos I've ever seen, clocking at 10 hours. As for right now, there are no plans for a demo of The Witcher 3 on Switch.

Don't get me wrong, I think The Witcher 3 on Switch is a huge achivement for Saber and CDProjekt. A realistic open world running at 1080p and 30fps on PS4 being ported to a much weaker machine at such a good level is nuts. However, I feel like DQXI is not only as good ported, but it will have exclusive content and a free 10 hour demo. I think that's hard to beat...

That's because western games are usually much more demanding and developed to utilise all the juice from the big consoles, while Dragon Quest XI doesn't look that demanding to begin with, with simple effects and art style. I'm actually suprised it only runs at 900p on PS4 while Witcher 3, Red Dead  Redemption 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey run at 1080p on base PS4, Japanese devs can't seem to make cutting edge graphics or utilise PS4 power fully.

And I still think Witcher 3 Switch looks decent and close enough to base Xbox One and they menaged 720p in that game which is crazy considering how demanding it is.

I think resolution is a problem on UE4 in general. Almost every game I know using that engine has a lower resolution than what I would expect looking at the visuals or how the game is constructed...

That being said, while not as technically advanced as The Witcher 3, I think DQXI is not as simple as you say. Obviously being a cartoony game makes it look less impressive overall, but it's still a very well crafted and a beautiful game on its own right.

No idea, but considering the time it's taken to be completed (it was the first game announced for the NX), it better be.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Compared to the other versions of the game yes. It's not often at all that the Switch version of a multiplat can be said to be the best version. Witcher 3 will be downgraded no matter how well it runs, and it has no new content. Doom and Wolfenstein were wizardry, but half the framerate and Doom was missing some content. This is the first time I can think of where there are advantages to the Switch version beyond portability and motion controls (which DQ doesn't have, but it is often an advantage for Switch versions of games), and the very occasional use of HD rumble like with Skyrim, lock-picking.

I should hope it looks better than XC2, considering the latter came out almost 2 years ago and was a first generation Switch game which was also rushed to market.

Is BOTW considered multiplatform? If so, then no.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Is BOTW considered multiplatform? If so, then no.

Obviously, I'm talking about third party games ported to the Switch. To be more specific, current gen games ported to the Switch. To be even more specific, somewhat technically demanding current gen third party multiplatform games ported to the Switch. Is that specific enough?

Anyways, if you bring BotW, we could bring Diablo 3 or Skyrim. But those are not very impressive since they are last gen games ported to a more powerful console. Just like BotW.

Platinumed on PS4 and played the demo on Switch today, it feels good with Japanese voice casting and the super fast battle speed helps saving a lot of time, I may get one on sale to play through again.

Vodacixi said:
Radek said:

That's because western games are usually much more demanding and developed to utilise all the juice from the big consoles, while Dragon Quest XI doesn't look that demanding to begin with, with simple effects and art style. I'm actually suprised it only runs at 900p on PS4 while Witcher 3, Red Dead  Redemption 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey run at 1080p on base PS4, Japanese devs can't seem to make cutting edge graphics or utilise PS4 power fully.

And I still think Witcher 3 Switch looks decent and close enough to base Xbox One and they menaged 720p in that game which is crazy considering how demanding it is.

I think resolution is a problem on UE4 in general. Almost every game I know using that engine has a lower resolution than what I would expect looking at the visuals or how the game is constructed...

That being said, while not as technically advanced as The Witcher 3, I think DQXI is not as simple as you say. Obviously being a cartoony game makes it look less impressive overall, but it's still a very well crafted and a beautiful game on its own right.

I think the lower resolution of a lot of UE4 games is that the engine's feature set seems to go for maximum quality no matter the rendering cost. In a lot of cases I actually think this pays off rather well; titles like Hellblade, Yoshi's Crafted World and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter are, in my book, among the best looking games on Switch.

I'm playing the demo. So far, it looks very good, but I wish they would use some anti-aliasing and I wish you could turn off the motion blur. The characters face looks really pixelated whenever you look at it outside of battles and cutscenes, and the motion blur is sort of intense.

Can't believe you even asking that question. Dq11 is among the greatest game of all time, let alone best rpg ever. And the best game switch will have, yes even better than zelda botw.