By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Spider-Man no longer in the MCU after disagreement between Sony and Disney (UPDATE #2): Sony releases statement

Love people saying the Amazing Spiderman films failed, they made 500 million each in profit. The first one was really quite good the second eh not so much but why are people blaming Sony for walking way. Spiderman is the biggest and most popular character in the Marvel Universe and they want 50/50% of the movie tickets? That's a laughable offer.

If Disney want full control cough up 10 billion to buy the full rights back, otherwise piss off with an insulting offer.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Disney wanted more than they got in the previous deal, Sony said no. I wouldn't say Sony is "fucking dumb".

The previous deal was split the costs 50/50, while Sony gets 95% off the gross while Marvel gets 5%. That means that from Far from Home Marvel gets 50M, and I doubt that's enough to cover their costs, while Sony get's over 1 billion out of that movie. It's a wonder that Marvel agreed to that deal in the first place, but not accepting any adjustments to it was just pushing their luck too far. I agree that asking for 50/50 would be too much considering Sony doesn't get anything out of the merch, but a 60/40 or 2/3 to 1/3 split in favor of Sony should have been workable for everyone.

betacon said:
Love people saying the Amazing Spiderman films failed, they made 500 million each in profit. The first one was really quite good the second eh not so much but why are people blaming Sony for walking way. Spiderman is the biggest and most popular character in the Marvel Universe and they want 50/50% of the movie tickets? That's a laughable offer.

If Disney want full control cough up 10 billion to buy the full rights back, otherwise piss off with an insulting offer.

Amazing Spiderman 2 had a budget of almost 300 Million including the merchandising costs. And dont'confuse gross from ticket sales with income for the studio: They get about half of the sales in the US and about a third overseas when including the distribution costs. Since most of the gross was from overseas, it's safe to say that Amazing Spiderman 2 actually barely broke even. Once you know all this, it's no wonder why Sony was very disappointed with those 2 movies, and Sony was expecting a billion from those movies, not 750M and 700M. They hugely underperformed for them and weighted on their stock value.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 21 August 2019

PAOerfulone said:

All the Marvel characters, including a demigod, a super-soldier, a scientist with 7 PhD's, an all powerful space heroine, a magical sorcerer with knowledge and awareness of the multiverse, and the king of one of the most advanced countries & civilizations in that world... should look up to a 17 year old high school kid from Queens...

I get what you're trying to say, but you really need to work on how you say it.

Yes, because he's not those things. He's a kid from Queens.

I know what I'm saying and Spider-man (Peter Parker) is the best of them all. 

Hmm, pie.

KrspaceT said:

I was making a joke about rights issues more than DC movie quality. 

Also on the Spiderman 'loner' thing....yeah no. Spiderman's had a long history of association with other heroes, don't confuse rights issues with anything. 

Daredevil and the FF in particular. 

The era of solo Big 2 movies is dead, accept it. 

Confused?  Hardly.  Spider-man has always been described as a loner by Marvel and often made comments about how he didn't like working with teams.  It was a running theme throughout Spider-man's career.  You could make hundreds of movies directly from the Spider-man comics without needing to bring in other heroes, including most of Spider-man's most important moments.  

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Barkley said:
Disney wanted more than they got in the previous deal, Sony said no. I wouldn't say Sony is "fucking dumb".

The previous deal was split the costs 50/50, while Sony gets 95% off the gross while Marvel gets 5%. That means that from Far from Home Marvel gets 50M, and I doubt that's enough to cover their costs, while Sony get's over 1 billion out of that movie. It's a wonder that Marvel agreed to that deal in the first place, but not accepting any adjustments to it was just pushing their luck too far. I agree that asking for 50/50 would be too much considering Sony doesn't get anything out of the merch, but a 60/40 or 2/3 to 1/3 split in favor of Sony should have been workable for everyone.

betacon said:

Amazing Spiderman 2 had a budget of almost 300 Million including the merchandising costs. And dont'confuse gross from ticket sales with income for the studio: They get about half of the sales in the US and about a third overseas when including the distribution costs. Since most of the gross was from overseas, it's safe to say that Amazing Spiderman 2 actually barely broke even. Once you know all this, it's no wonder why Sony was very disappointed with those 2 movies, and Sony was expecting a billion from those movies, not 750M and 700M. They hugely underperformed for them and weighted on their stock value.

It didn't it was close to 220 million, which brings their profit to around 200 million which would bring ot close to line with the shitty deal Marvel wants with it being 50/50%(100 million difference). Sony hold all the cards it's the biggest Marvel ip if they want access to it they have to cough up big.

Around the Network
betacon said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

It didn't it was close to 220 million, which brings their profit to around 200 million which would bring ot close to line with the shitty deal Marvel wants with it being 50/50%(100 million difference). Sony hold all the cards it's the biggest Marvel ip if they want access to it they have to cough up big.

True, without marketing costs, it's 290M with them. That cuts the profit closer to 100M.

And like I said, the 50/50 from Disney are too greedy. If for instance Disney would take 1/3 and leave 2/3 for Sony, I'm sure they could work something out that beneficial for both of them. But by the look of it, it seems that both are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

The risk for Sony is that MCU fans might boycott any Spiderman movie Sony is willing to make now with Spiderman outside of the MCU, no matter how good it would be. If that happens then Sony just has won a Pyrrhic victory over Disney.

And don't think I'm in favor of Disney here, far from it. In fact, I hope someone on top realizes that Disney is just too big now and needs to be broken up. Which in my opinion would be that Marvel (including the entire MCU, character rights and Marvel Studios) and either 20th Century Fox or Lucasarts (if not both) would become independent again. Oh, and ESPN, too.

As someone who grew up with The Amazing Spider-man comics in early 80s, my take on this is...good...since I honestly don't care at all for that MCU crossover.
What I'd like to see is Spidey in Kingpin/Silvermane/Answer/Black Cat/Cloak and Dagger storyline.

betacon said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

lol no not even close. I think you didn't even read what Bofferbrauer2 said.
They only get ~50% of the box office money in the US and even less than that (about 40%, ignoring additional costs here) in overseas markets.

Here's a source: https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitab-5747305

$200m in US = $100m for Sony
$500m in Overseas = $200m for Sony

That's $300m for a movie with a budget of over $200m and marketing costs that can easily exceed $65m (that's the amount used for Megamind, see source.).

Last edited by Barozi - on 21 August 2019

betacon said:

^ this.

Disney want 50% of the profits Sony makes on Spiderman movies.... because they lent them a director + made some small showings in MCU.

That seems way overboard..... Disney is crazy greedy.
Before hand, Disney was okay with letting sony keep the money Sony makes on their own made spiderman movies.
After seeing how much Sony could make with spiderman, their like "give us 50%" or we cut you!

Sony did the smart thing, screw disney.

*edit:

Marvel was almost bankrupt and going under, and spiderman was at a low point, before Sony started makeing Movies of Spiderman.
Sony legit bought Spiderman rights for 7 million.... and it now belongs to them.

They built up the "hype" for spiderman. Even if you feel their movies arnt as good as the MCU ones currently, its still a fact that Sony buildt up the character.
With them Spiderman wouldnt be as relevant today.

This feels like their not treating Sony fair, Disney doesnt own the IP, they need to accept that and atleast be reasonable about demands.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 21 August 2019

They’ll reach a deal. Maybe not 50/50, but it should be higher than 5%. Spider-Man is only as big now because of the MCU involvement.

Good luck with SM movies with Tim Rothman in control lol