By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - SaveJames - Liberal mom forcing her son to act like a girl?

the-pi-guy said:
o_O.Q said:

I think he has a valid reason to be skeptical

the social sciences have recently been shown to be overrun with leftist ideology to the point where nonsense like this is seen as valid

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/fake-study-saying-dog-parks-are-cesspool-for-rape-culture-earns-real-award-and-now-author-is-in-real-trouble

the tilt further and further left has been documented by even left leaning sources

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/02/27/research-confirms-professors-lean-left-questions-assumptions-about-what-means

and I suppose for people who lean left to begin with this may not be seen as an issue but it obviously is because what is researched and how much certain conclusions are challenged is obviously going to be adversely impacted

>the men who wrote that journal apparently got 20 or so journals through

This is false.  

He wrote 20 such articles.  6 of those were rejected, 7 were still pending, and 7 were accepted.  

At least one of these 7 was not a high end journal, but was a "pay to publish" open access journal.  I don't know enough about the rest, just that few were significant at all.  

its been a while I mixed the numbers for the ones he got through with how many he wrote in total

so the fact that he got 7 through and 7 were pending out of 20 troll journals doesn't strike you as alarming? ok fair enough

and as I've said he was successful because he as do I understands the ideology, all he did was copy the ideas for bullshit THAT WAS ALREADY PUBLISHED

its not like this was a one off thing that began and ended with him

i could probably write a few journals myself if I had the qualifications in this field, because this ideology is not difficult to understand or appropriate, to say its as shallow as a soapdish is a disservice to soap dishes

finally, he amusingly instead of being lauded for pointing this issue out is now being reprimanded

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

you misunderstand me, i'm simply offering a reason for why he's skeptical of the research conclusions to begin with

he may very well be wrong when it comes to pee values, but what i'm saying is that he's trying to justify a lack of trust in social sciences that is to some extent valid

the social sciences are losing credibility right now and he's right to be wary when it comes to conclusions coming out of that field

The social sciences aren't losing credibility.  You just don't like their conclusions.

the fact that a concerned professor had to take his time to write nonsense about how dog parks are dens of rape culture and how spicy food enforces toxic masculinity etc etc etc shows that there is a problem, if you are in denial about that then that's on you

" You just don't like their conclusions."

you misunderstand me, my problem is not with conclusions, if a study had been written on dog parks causing rape culture and this could be coherently, logically demonstrated then i'd have no problem with that

my problem is with a clear lack of coherency and logic coming from people masquerading as "academics" and "rational thinkers"

who wouldn't pause for a second to demean religious people for example for their own lack of coherency and logic

now regardless of whether you believe in the bible or not, I think we can both agree that hypocrisy is bad, the bible has something to say about it:

Matthew 7:5 ESV / 691

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Hello. I hope everyone is well. I am a transgender individual. I do not know this story, but i can assure you nobody would claim to be trans or transition because it is cool. Ate there extremes when it comes to parents. Always, but the whole thing about gender transition being an epidemic is garbage. No person regardless of age is going to transition because it is cool. Being trans for a lot of people is tough even after transition. I am very fortunate to be shorter in stature and to have lived in the state of Maryland when i transitioned 5 and a half years ago. I went through a depression for numerous years wavering back and forth on if i was "truly" trans. I eventually said screw it and went for the gold. Life got better for me.

People are never trans because it is cool or gets you social points. That entire philosophy is crap. Anyone who thinks it is cool will find out really fast what it means to be trans and all that goes along with it.

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

the fact that a concerned professor had to take his time to write nonsense about how dog parks are dens of rape culture and how spicy food enforces toxic masculinity etc etc etc shows that there is a problem, if you are in denial about that then that's on you

" You just don't like their conclusions."

you misunderstand me, my problem is not with conclusions, if a study had been written on dog parks causing rape culture and this could be coherently, logically demonstrated then i'd have no problem with that

my problem is with a clear lack of coherency and logic coming from people masquerading as "academics" and "rational thinkers"

who wouldn't pause for a second to demean religious people for example for their own lack of coherency and logic

now regardless of whether you believe in the bible or not, I think we can both agree that hypocrisy is bad, the bible has something to say about it:

Matthew 7:5 ESV / 691

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

It's not about conclusions?  Then why did you write:

you misunderstand me, i'm simply offering a reason for why he's skeptical of the research conclusions to begin with

he may very well be wrong when it comes to pee values, but what i'm saying is that he's trying to justify a lack of trust in social sciences that is to some extent valid

the social sciences are losing credibility right now and he's right to be wary when it comes to conclusions coming out of that field

Don't pivot now and talk about logic, coherency and hypocrisy.  You said conclusions...twice.

let me repeat myself, the problem is not the conclusions when those conclusions can be rationally verified

but if you pull a conclusion from up your butt that simply sounds like it makes sense because of some idiotic ideology(which is actually happening as I have shown examples of) and then try to fill in the gaps then that's where the problem arises

try to read and understand what i'm saying

people on the left should be trying to stem the tide of this nonsense even if fundamentally it is in line with what they value, because eventually since the foundation isn't solid eventually pieces are going to break off and maybe start hitting you 

that's what has started happening with women, they pushed feminism for a long time and now since they pushed too far feminism which has transformed into "intersectionality" at this point is starting to fuck with them

this has happened because they started with a reasonable goal - equality before the law and that was achieved and so feminism should have seen a decrease in momentum, but instead the core value changed from equality before the law to just equality which does not make sense since men and women are not the same physically or psychologically but of course on the left differences do not exist or are "socially constructed"

it will be interesting to see how big of a pile up this train wreck is going to continue to cause

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 27 August 2019

Torillian said:

Here's where I'm at dude. You are quoting at me the guy who talks about science for Nerdist.com (a nice guy but someone with a bachelor's in civil and environmental engineering and a masters in science communication) to disprove the conclusions made by a professor of psychology at University of Washington who's published 50 publications within the last ten years, been cited more than 4000 times, and has a plethora of awards including a genius grant. Take this from a scientist, this lady is a rising star in her field and I would need quite a bit of evidence before I believe she's just a dipshit who doesn't know how to analyze her own data.
I mean just look at this shit: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=4hwc6fwAAAAJ
This is a person that lives and breathes this kind of analysis every second of every day. To think you or I can come into her field and assume we know better than her and the peers in her field that reviewed her manuscript and approved it for a reputable journal is just nuts.

Yeah she seems to have interesting studies,it would take a lot of time digesting information to even understand a bit of it.

Around the Network
DarkD said:
It's not a lack of trust in social sciences. It's simply put, the sample size is too small to use that study. It's not a study that says anything is factual, it's a study that says, "look at these other things you guys may wanna research." It's not meant for you to use as proof of fact. It's a small piece of evidence that can be used by both sides of the argument to say whatever the hell they want.

It's like a trial in a court of law. You have to prove something "beyond a reasonable doubt" before you can punish someone over it. You can't just say "Mr Johnson saw Patty enter the flower shop at 4:30 and the crime took place at 4:40; therefor, Patty is guilty" You need MORE EVIDENCE.

Getting back to the matter at hand here. We're talking about decisions that could very well be mutilating small children. I refuse to vote for it if all we have is a weak study.

The study isn't weak. You just don't seem to understand it (and for that matter, you don't seem to understand statistics either).

sundin13 said:
DarkD said:
It's not a lack of trust in social sciences. It's simply put, the sample size is too small to use that study. It's not a study that says anything is factual, it's a study that says, "look at these other things you guys may wanna research." It's not meant for you to use as proof of fact. It's a small piece of evidence that can be used by both sides of the argument to say whatever the hell they want.

It's like a trial in a court of law. You have to prove something "beyond a reasonable doubt" before you can punish someone over it. You can't just say "Mr Johnson saw Patty enter the flower shop at 4:30 and the crime took place at 4:40; therefor, Patty is guilty" You need MORE EVIDENCE.

Getting back to the matter at hand here. We're talking about decisions that could very well be mutilating small children. I refuse to vote for it if all we have is a weak study.

The study isn't weak. You just don't seem to understand it (and for that matter, you don't seem to understand statistics either).

The study is weak, and no one on this thread understands statistics.  I'm just the only guy who tried to make an honest effort.  If you wanna obsess over the one tiny flaw you found in my argument and say the other 99% of it is worthless, go ahead.  Votes don't require your input.  Continue living in an echo chamber.  

DarkD said:

I'd like to swing back to these decisions that could be mutilating small children. Exactly what are we talking about there?

DarkD said:

The study is weak, and no one on this thread understands statistics.  I'm just the only guy who tried to make an honest effort.  If you wanna obsess over the one tiny flaw you found in my argument and say the other 99% of it is worthless, go ahead.  Votes don't require your input.  Continue living in an echo chamber.  

I am criticizing the core of your argument. Your argument as to why the paper is weak is that the p-value is too low. That argument is based in a misunderstanding of the statistics. All arguments you made were contingent upon that point. We cannot have an honest discussion about this if you deny how math works.

At the end of the day, you are entitled to whatever opinion you want. Like you said, "votes don't require your input". I just want to let you know that if you think that opinion is reinforced by the available body of academic data, it isn't. As such, you are going to get called out when you say otherwise.

Note: Typically disagreements are complicated and messy and involve a lot of different factors and data. In this situation it is objective and straightforward, so I want to get to the bottom of this so we can come to an understanding if not about the greater issue than at least about the utility of p values in this instance...

Last edited by sundin13 - on 27 August 2019

DarkD said:
sundin13 said:

" I'm just the only guy who tried to make an honest effort."

I can't speak for the others, but I personally appreciate that

" If you wanna obsess over the one tiny flaw you found in my argument and say the other 99% of it is worthless"

given the subject matter under discussion here this is funny lol

"Continue living in an echo chamber. "

well they are here seeking discussion so I don't think that's fair