By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - House minority leader trying to blame video games for mass shootings. Update: Walmart pulls violent video game ads for 2 weeks

VAMatt said:

I'm going to reitterate my offer - I have a guest bedroom available just outside of Washington, DC.  There are a lot of people in this thread that seem to need some first hand exposure to the USA.  You're all invited to make use of my guest bedroom.  Then, we can go out and dodge bullets as we see the sights.  It's basically like a real-life video game here.  

This is a really bad argument.

1. Using this kind of argument you could say that pretty much every country in the world is safe, as long as the part where you live is.

Example A: "the threat of terror in Afghanistan is way overblown. Let me invite you to my home in Afghanistan and I'll show you what the country actually is like"

Example B: "I have a nice house with a small guest house in the backyard, come and stay for a week or two and we'll explore Mexico. Perhaps go on a cartel hunt or something."

Example C: "why don't you come visit me in Sweden and stay in my apartment in Stockholm. Show you our country. Get some photos of rampaging islamists, perhaps catch some women wearing burkas."

2. Using the same kind of argument you could argue that your country is the worst place on earth, just switch the location to one of the least secure ones in your nation and there you go.

Example: "Please come and live with me in my house in Detroit. I'll give you first hand exposure of the USA. Bring a bulletproof vest. No seriously, bring a bulletproof vest, it's fucking horrible here."

In short: do not use the place where you live as some kind of measurement for what the entire nation is like, because doing so is not particularly clever.

Around the Network

So Walmart has acted and they have pulled violent video game ads for 2 weeks out of respect for the victims... lol wtf

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/09/walmart-reportedly-removing-violent-game-ads-will-still-sell-guns

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 09 August 2019

I'll go ahead and bow out of this conversation after this. What we seem to have here is a bunch of non-Americans pretending to speak on American culture, and life in the USA with authority. There are a couple of Americans in here trying to constructively contribute to the conversation, with first-hand knowledge and experience. But, many of y'all persist in thinking that you know better than the people that actually live through this stuff. I hope you guys recognize that you are simply living in a state of ignorance. You all might think back on the old adage about statistics and who uses them.

Also, this topic should be moved to the politics forum. It hasn't really been about gaming for a couple of days now.

So it still going to come back to... unless we go sit down in someones spare room with them for a day and observe us not getting shot while staying there... that means that there is no gun/murder issue in the States? Or while people are from another country we are not able to observe numbers or understand what being murdered means?

From Wiki on the subject, regarding US VS Developed countries.
The U.S. is ranked 4th out of 34 developed nations for the highest incidence rate of homicides committed with a firearm, according to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) data. Mexico, Turkey, Estonia are ranked ahead of the U.S. in incidence of homicides. A U.S. male aged 15–24 is 70 times more likely to be killed with a gun than their counterpart in the eight (G-8) largest industrialized nations in the world (United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Italy, Russia).

Now.... you might think, 70 times sounds crazy because you haven't been shot, but those figures aren't drawn up from a magic 8 ball or from my Irish flag... those are figures, they are the statistics, I'm not sure why there is some sort of rebellion against the numbers being a thing which explain the number of gun homicide right there in black and white. Could people at least put forwards another possible reason for the 70x increased chance of murder by gun there for that age bracket? Maybe the matrix was more popular in the states and people are still doing test trials to see if they're Neo?

Or is the USA version of the youtube prank going wrong just... something that can go extra wrong because guns are present.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/youtube-shooting-death-monalisa-perez-pedro-ruiz-a8257411.html
That story still blows me away when you see the power of the gun she used on her husband.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

VAMatt said:
I'll go ahead and bow out of this conversation after this. What we seem to have here is a bunch of non-Americans pretending to speak on American culture, and life in the USA with authority. There are a couple of Americans in here trying to constructively contribute to the conversation, with first-hand knowledge and experience. But, many of y'all persist in thinking that you know better than the people that actually live through this stuff. I hope you guys recognize that you are simply living in a state of ignorance. You all might think back on the old adage about statistics and who uses them.

Also, this topic should be moved to the politics forum. It hasn't really been about gaming for a couple of days now.

Yea I agree that this probably should be moved to politics forum since the thread has spiral out of control.  When I first made the thread I was debating whether to put it in gaming or politics but chose gaming because I felt like the gaming industry was under threat (even though from political forces).  Now it totally seems to be moved to politics.

I live in USA and don't mind people throwing around facts about gun violence.  Sure it can be misleading depending on your race, where you live, etc.. but we still have major issue with killing ourselves.  Maybe it started happening more when we shut down almost all the insane asylums and thought we could drug the crazies into an existence in society (along with lax gun regulations)?  I don't really have the answers but I know for sure that assault rifles should be reserved for military use. 

Anyways, I have never felt the need to own a gun for protection.  I'm big enough guy that hardly anyone ever fucks with me (plus I'm usually polite to most people in public unlike my usual asshole self here).  Also, I do the world a favor by not owning a gun (have used friend's guns on ranch before for target practice) because my dumb ass would have probably already shot someone by now.  I'm a big enough weapon as is and if I need a weapon I'll pick up any household item and make it one.  I don't go out in public much (not that I'm scared I just hate traffic and lots of people in one area) so I don't think I have to worry about being a gun victim.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
So it still going to come back to... unless we go sit down in someones spare room with them for a day and observe us not getting shot while staying there... that means that there is no gun/murder issue in the States? Or while people are from another country we are not able to observe numbers or understand what being murdered means?

From Wiki on the subject, regarding US VS Developed countries.
The U.S. is ranked 4th out of 34 developed nations for the highest incidence rate of homicides committed with a firearm, according to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) data. Mexico, Turkey, Estonia are ranked ahead of the U.S. in incidence of homicides. A U.S. male aged 15–24 is 70 times more likely to be killed with a gun than their counterpart in the eight (G-8) largest industrialized nations in the world (United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Italy, Russia).

Now.... you might think, 70 times sounds crazy because you haven't been shot, but those figures aren't drawn up from a magic 8 ball or from my Irish flag... those are figures, they are the statistics, I'm not sure why there is some sort of rebellion against the numbers being a thing which explain the number of gun homicide right there in black and white. Could people at least put forwards another possible reason for the 70x increased chance of murder by gun there for that age bracket? Maybe the matrix was more popular in the states and people are still doing test trials to see if they're Neo?

Or is the USA version of the youtube prank going wrong just... something that can go extra wrong because guns are present.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/youtube-shooting-death-monalisa-perez-pedro-ruiz-a8257411.html
That story still blows me away when you see the power of the gun she used on her husband.

Obviously you can have an opinion on anything you want. That's not what I'm talking about, and you know it. There are people in this thread talking about "gun culture" and other aspects of the American experience that have no expertise in these areas.  And, that's fine.  What is not fine is to act as though the experts (in this case, the people that live in the USA) don't know what they're talking about, because their opinions don't align with ones cherry picked statistics.  

A good half of this thread is about American culture and life in the USA. Everyone should be welcome to participate in that thread. But, trying to tell the Americans that they are wrong about their own lives and their own culture is, frankly, laughably ridiculous.

Guess I won't be buying games from Walmart anytime ever again. I mean, I rarely ever did, but I'll make it an explicit goal now, ignoring promotions and the like.

HylianSwordsman said:
Guess I won't be buying games from Walmart anytime ever again. I mean, I rarely ever did, but I'll make it an explicit goal now, ignoring promotions and the like.

Worst Walmart experience I ever had was I bought a rock CD from them early 2000s...  Damn thing was censored copy.  Believed I returned it next day telling them that I didn't know it was a censored album.  At least they let me return it I believe even though I opened it.

The second I heard Ttump mention video games in a speech supposed to talk about the gun problem, I could have triple face palmed if I had 3 hands. Why is anyone, (gamers especially) still taking this man seriously?

The Last Belmont said:
The second I heard Ttump mention video games in a speech supposed to talk about the gun problem, I could have triple face palmed if I had 3 hands. Why is anyone, (gamers especially) still taking this man seriously?

I'm picturing ehonda 100 hand slapping his own face :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive