By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - House minority leader trying to blame video games for mass shootings. Update: Walmart pulls violent video game ads for 2 weeks

Azzanation said:

Chrkeller said:

The car argument is one of the dumbest arguments I have seen, and I see it often.  Cars are a requirement in a modern day society, guns are not.  Apples and eggplant.  And this country pushes year after year to make cars safer.    

But since you brought up cars, note they require training classes and a state authorized license.  A person can't just start driving around because Murica.  Also note bad (dangerous) drivers can have their license revoked and they aren't allowed to drive anymore....  Additionally, drivers are required to carry insurance....  hey, maybe we should start treating guns like we do cars!

My sarcasm post went over your head. I am not saying to ban cars, i am saying banning and blaming things because they have the protential to kill people like games or guns is stupid.

Humans prove time and time again that instead of fixing the real issue, we just blame it on things because we believe that solves violence.

Tell me Mr.. what video games or guns were they using in the medieval days? From what i recall we were more violent back than it is now. Is that due to a lack of education? I think so.

If we want to be desperate and ban things than why not cars? They cost more lives than anything in this world. And you are wrong, we dont need cars, we can invest in full Public transport and take cars away. It will save alot more lives than taking guns or games away. 

In Australia we had 2 maniacs run over dozens of people recently in a busy street because there mental. Its easy to get a car license and over the years people change. So even through i say dont ban cars, if we want to avoid deaths than cars is high up on the list.

With this line of reasoning, would you be in favor of allowing citizens to purchase C4, rocket launchers, nuclear warheads, etc?

I'm trying to discover where your line is because you seem to prefer total freedom when it comes to procuring weaponry. 

Around the Network
OhNoYouDont said:
Azzanation said:

My sarcasm post went over your head. I am not saying to ban cars, i am saying banning and blaming things because they have the protential to kill people like games or guns is stupid.

Humans prove time and time again that instead of fixing the real issue, we just blame it on things because we believe that solves violence.

Tell me Mr.. what video games or guns were they using in the medieval days? From what i recall we were more violent back than it is now. Is that due to a lack of education? I think so.

If we want to be desperate and ban things than why not cars? They cost more lives than anything in this world. And you are wrong, we dont need cars, we can invest in full Public transport and take cars away. It will save alot more lives than taking guns or games away. 

In Australia we had 2 maniacs run over dozens of people recently in a busy street because there mental. Its easy to get a car license and over the years people change. So even through i say dont ban cars, if we want to avoid deaths than cars is high up on the list.

With this line of reasoning, would you be in favor of allowing citizens to purchase C4, rocket launchers, nuclear warheads, etc?

I'm trying to discover where your line is because you seem to prefer total freedom when it comes to procuring weaponry. 

I know this question wasn't meant for me.  But, I'll answer anyway....

People should be allowed to purchase anything they want.  Literally anything.  If they do harm with it, other than in defense of themselves or others (and in a reasonable degree, and not to innocent people), then there's a problem.  There are plenty of laws in place to handle that.  But, there's nothing wrong with owning stuff.  

For the record, people in the USA can own rocket launchers (though not in all States) and many types of explosives.  Private nukes are not legal.

OhNoYouDont said:

As someone has already answered this post. I will also anwser with.. since you can buy these items legally, there is also a blackmarket out there which will always exist.

Tell me, how many people have you heard die via a Rocket launcher attack? 

As mentioned before, there is nothing wrong with owning something. The issue is educating people. Id agree adding stricker laws however we as people need to push past blaming things and taking away from people. Invest in the right areas. Because once you start taking away from people, they will only keep taking away to the point freedom becomes questionable.

Take guns away, whats next? Video games?

Heck in Australia you cannot even walk around or been seen with a steering lock in your hands without it being classified as a weapon or a Stanley knife or box cutter in your pockets without getting fined. 

Similarly, I find laying the blame for these atrocities on "mental illness" just as illogical, for much the same reason.

There is plenty of mental illness in Japan, Australia, Canada, etc yet gun massacres are not epidemic in those countries.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 August 2019

curl-6 said:

Similarly, I find laying the blame for these atrocities on "mental illness" just as stupid, for much the same reason.

There is plenty of mental illness in Japan, Australia, Canada, etc yet gun massacres are not epidemic in those countries.

Gun massacres are not epidemic in the US either, unless you have a really wide definition of massacre.  

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
curl-6 said:

Similarly, I find laying the blame for these atrocities on "mental illness" just as stupid, for much the same reason.

Gun massacres are not epidemic in the US either, unless you have a really wide definition of massacre.  

Well, using the definition of 3 or more people shot (not including the perpetrator) in one incident, excluding organized crime, there's been 248 so far this year. (So in the last 220 days)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2019

You may not call that epidemic, as that's a descriptive and hence subjective term, but it certainly strikes me as an accurate description.

Granted, I'm not American, but if this was happening to my country I would consider it an extremely severe problem.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 August 2019

curl-6 said:

Similarly, I find laying the blame for these atrocities on "mental illness" just as illogical, for much the same reason.

Death is death, doesnt matter what form a killer uses to kill someone. Take the guns away, they will hijack a Bus and ram it into a shopping centre and kill even more people.

The issue is not from the items they use as its been proven that people can have guns and video games and still be sane. Russia has guns yet there school shootings are kept to a low.

The real issue is having mental people who want to kill on there mind walk the streets. This has been a human issue since the beginning of man not just since we created guns. 

End of the day, take guns away from killers, they will find other means to kill. Its what they want to do, its not something they wake up in the morning asking themselves.. "hmm i have guns, lets go kill people" or "hmm i have no guns i cannot kill people" thinking. Its quite simply a disorder that needs to be addressed and monitored.

Azzanation said:
curl-6 said:

Death is death, doesnt matter what form a killer uses to kill someone. Take the guns away, they will hijack a Bus and ram it into a shopping centre and kill even more people.

The issue is not from the items they use as its been proven that people can have guns and video games and still be sane. Russia has guns yet there school shootings are kept to a low.

The real issue is having mental people who want to kill on there mind walk the streets. This has been a human issue since the beginning of man not just since we created guns. 

End of the day, take guns away from killers, they will find other means to kill. Its what they want to do, its not something they wake up in the morning asking themselves.. "hmm i have guns, lets go kill people" or "hmm i have no guns i cannot kill people" thinking. Its quite simply a disorder that needs to be addressed and monitored.

So what, only the US has mentally ill people? Mental illness is prevalent in every country on Earth, why do countries like Japan or Australia or Canada not have this problem?

To be honest though, this isn't a discussion I feel like pursuing as I don't care to spend the next fifty pages debating it, so I'm gonna bow out of this thread here.

Suffice it so say, blaming video games is idiotic, and I am deeply thankful I live in a country where these sort of atrocities are an extreme rarity rather than a routine occurrence. 

A testament to how little progress video games have made in the past four decades as to how they are publicly perceived. It is still easy and common to make the medium a scapegoat.

No one blames TV Shows and Movies, all the violence and death depicted, e.g. The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, how stylishly entertaining people are beaten up, maimed and killed. Not desensitizing...

Hunting Season is done...