By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - House minority leader trying to blame video games for mass shootings. Update: Walmart pulls violent video game ads for 2 weeks

I agree, differences should be settled within the Octagon, using martial arts, or good old Greco-Roman wrestling. Have a beer afterwards, and make some new friends.

[edit: applies to career politicians, too.  I'd pay good money to see that.  ;) ]

Last edited by Mospeada21CA - on 06 August 2019

Around the Network
Mospeada21CA said:

I agree, differences should be settled within the Octagon, using martial arts, or good old Greco-Roman wrestling. Have a beer afterwards, and make some new friends.

[edit: applies to career politicians, too.  I'd pay good money to see that.  ;) ]

Don't be silly you would never see any of todays politicians doing any kind of fighting on a stage for attention....

Skip to 5mins to see his entrance, it's pretty amazing. He is now in the WWE hall of fame to boot lol.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

Just wanted to say thank you for your breakdown of the states gun death rate earlier in the thread, I was at work and couldn't post at all on my phone for some reason, think... a phone post wouldn't have done justice what I wanted to put down anyway.

You know that Citation needed part at the end, I was going to call it out on my phone as well but like I said was limited... imagine if what he typed there was true, so that 99% of the gun related deaths happened in a region which was just .001% of the entire US, so.... in that Utopia you have effectively 0 gun deaths per 100k in 99.999% of the country... and in that .001% of the land you have to take on the burden of what would be 12 deaths per 100k... meaning you would need to bring that up by around 99000 times so that the average death rate would reach the 12 per 100k over the whole of the USA, that would mean... in that one horror patch of land in this fantasy which covers .001% of the land of the USA, you would need a death rate of 1,188,000 people per 100,000 to die to guns, so each person would need to be killed nearly 12 times by guns in this one bad part of town for the math to work out.

@pokoko At it's very best in the states, in the lowest regions as stated in Conina's post that being MA the death rate there is still 4.25 that of Ireland, taking a trip to the worst states for it of Alaska and Alabama then the probability of death by gun is increased 29.125x over where I currently live, this is why as an average the figure works out to be 15x greater over all the states, I'm not going to do the math on each alley and each neighbourhood... I'm looking at a scale of danger from a thing which scales from 4.25x more likely all the way up to 29.125x more likely, I'm not "pretending I didn't say it" I'm asking you to concede that it is the case no matter where I would go there, death by gun is far more likely to happen than it is here.

Also if you bold a point to emphasis just how massive something is... and that is wrong, I'm going to call it out, you do the internet version of stomp your foot and point at a figure, it's wrong, it's not me being an asshole to point to why what you're beginning your poor argument of "some places have less shootings though! like this street down the road from me is lovely" has even less grounds to stand on because if you think the sizes matter so much to bold them, then they should matter enough to know which is larger than the other, they're close in size alright but even then it falls to Europe by a bit rather than USA being larger.

Let's go back to what you said--"I was to move from here to the USA my chances of dying to a gun increase nearly 15x, sorry if that fact based on numbers upsets you living in the states, but you are 15 times more likely than me to die to a gun."  That is clearly dependent on where you move--you just said so yourself--and you're asking me to concede something I didn't protest in the first place?  

However, I can see that you really don't care if you're wrong or not, you just want to push your agenda, about which I do not give a damn.  Also, trying to pretend distances of hundreds and thousands of miles is the same as "each alley and each neighbourhood" is pretty much the same as lying.  

Last edited by pokoko - on 06 August 2019

pokoko said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Just wanted to say thank you for your breakdown of the states gun death rate earlier in the thread, I was at work and couldn't post at all on my phone for some reason, think... a phone post wouldn't have done justice what I wanted to put down anyway.

You know that Citation needed part at the end, I was going to call it out on my phone as well but like I said was limited... imagine if what he typed there was true, so that 99% of the gun related deaths happened in a region which was just .001% of the entire US, so.... in that Utopia you have effectively 0 gun deaths per 100k in 99.999% of the country... and in that .001% of the land you have to take on the burden of what would be 12 deaths per 100k... meaning you would need to bring that up by around 99000 times so that the average death rate would reach the 12 per 100k over the whole of the USA, that would mean... in that one horror patch of land in this fantasy which covers .001% of the land of the USA, you would need a death rate of 1,188,000 people per 100,000 to die to guns, so each person would need to be killed nearly 12 times by guns in this one bad part of town for the math to work out.

@pokoko At it's very best in the states, in the lowest regions as stated in Conina's post that being MA the death rate there is still 4.25 that of Ireland, taking a trip to the worst states for it of Alaska and Alabama then the probability of death by gun is increased 29.125x over where I currently live, this is why as an average the figure works out to be 15x greater over all the states, I'm not going to do the math on each alley and each neighbourhood... I'm looking at a scale of danger from a thing which scales from 4.25x more likely all the way up to 29.125x more likely, I'm not "pretending I didn't say it" I'm asking you to concede that it is the case no matter where I would go there, death by gun is far more likely to happen than it is here.

Also if you bold a point to emphasis just how massive something is... and that is wrong, I'm going to call it out, you do the internet version of stomp your foot and point at a figure, it's wrong, it's not me being an asshole to point to why what you're beginning your poor argument of "some places have less shootings though! like this street down the road from me is lovely" has even less grounds to stand on because if you think the sizes matter so much to bold them, then they should matter enough to know which is larger than the other, they're close in size alright but even then it falls to Europe by a bit rather than USA being larger.

Let's go back to what you said--"I was to move from here to the USA my chances of dying to a gun increase nearly 15x, sorry if that fact based on numbers upsets you living in the states, but you are 15 times more likely than me to die to a gun."  That is clearly dependent on where you move--you just said so yourself--and you're asking me to concede something I didn't protest in the first place?  

However, I can see that you really don't care if you're wrong or not, you just want to push your agenda, about which I do not give a damn.  Also, trying to pretend distances of hundreds and thousands of miles is the same as "each alley and each neighbourhood" is pretty much the same as lying.  

Is your issue that you don't like averages? I said in the last post, if I was to move from here to there (anywhere there) my chances of dying to getting shot increase on a scale from 4.25x to 29x if you take umbrage with me using an average that's on you, and it's you versus math, not me.

"Is pretty much the same as lying" Every... single place... in the country you live... is more dangerous to gun violence than where I live currently, everywhere, EVERYWHERE, from your streets, your malls, your nightclubs to your children's schools, EVERYWHERE. Where... is the lie in that statement?

Would love to know my Agenda in this? You think I'm working for the Irish Tourist board or something? Ireland doesn't require selling online on a video game forum.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

Is your issue that you don't like averages? I said in the last post, if I was to move from here to there (anywhere there) my chances of dying to getting shot increase on a scale from 4.25x to 29x if you take umbrage with me using an average that's on you, and it's you versus math, not me.

"Is pretty much the same as lying" Every... single place... in the country you live... is more dangerous to gun violence than where I live currently, everywhere, EVERYWHERE, from your streets, your malls, your nightclubs to your children's schools, EVERYWHERE. Where... is the lie in that statement?

Would love to know my Agenda in this? You think I'm working for the Irish Tourist board or something? Ireland doesn't require selling online on a video game forum.

You don't know a thing about where I live and I don't give a single, solitary fuck about Ireland.  I know nothing about it and I have no interest in it.  Why you have so much interest in where I live, I don't know and I guess I really shouldn't care.  Really, who the fuck are you and your opinions about where I live to me?  As for your "you don't like averages" bullshit, wow, that was goofy as hell.  

In the end, if you can't understand the ignorance of applying a flat average over a country the size of the United States and then pretending that the same rate applies everywhere, then there is nothing I can do about that.  If that's who you are then that's who you are.  

Around the Network

So, I tried, I genuinely tried, but I couldn't find any news articles not on Fox that blame video games for mass shootings. So it's not the media doing this, it's Republicans and their propaganda arm. The closest I found to blaming video games was certain outlets claiming a connection between violence and Gamergate. In fact, the vast majority of articles on the recent shootings and their connections to video games were fact-checking articles that criticize Republicans for their stupid attempt to connect the two without evidence. In fact, several of them are also fact-checking the idea that mental health is connected (in the vast majority of cases, it isn't). You have to go pretty deep into Google results before you even find one article that tries to "both sides" the subject. Even the Fox News website has backtracked and stopped talking about it. It's just the Republicans and Fox New's cable TV news end that's spouting this bullshit. Don't trust these people. They'll come for your video games the moment they make an easy scapegoat under political pressure.

pokoko said:
Ganoncrotch said:

You don't know a thing about where I live and I don't give a single, solitary fuck about Ireland.  I know nothing about it and I have no interest in it.  Why you have so much interest in where I live, I don't know and I guess I really shouldn't care.  Really, who the fuck are you and your opinions about where I live to me?  As for your "you don't like averages" bullshit, wow, that was goofy as hell.  

In the end, if you can't understand the ignorance of applying a flat average over a country the size of the United States and then pretending that the same rate applies everywhere, then there is nothing I can do about that.  If that's who you are then that's who you are.  

You quoted me first with nonsense and every step I bothered to waste time to explain my position to you while each time you close your eyes to numbers and facts and just sling shit and name call.

Here's your first interaction with me in this thread, if you don't care about my opinion then don't call it out or question it.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9041932

Don't really have time for someone asking me a question or questioning my posts and then starting to flip shit about how much they don't care about the reply.

Last edited by Ganoncrotch - on 06 August 2019

Chrkeller said:
gtotheunit91 said:

The 2nd amendment is what guarantees the US will never become the likes of China and Venezuela. You de-arm the civilians, the government can do whatever they want without worrying about any major retaliation. While I do agree that no one should have a need for military grade weapons, the US population has been carrying weapons for centuries now, and it hasn't been till recent times that society has deteriorated to this division that people are losing their minds. Sure, have gun control with major background checks, but that's not the entire solution, there's a sever issue in the core of society that's fueling this rage among people. But no matter what, each person has the right to defend themselves.

As if a gun would do anything against tanks, planes, nuclear weapons, submarines, biological weapons, etc.  If the government wanted you dead, a gun isn't going to stop them. 

Have you not been watching how untrained guys hiding in caves in Afghanistan have fought off the US, the Soviet Union, and most of the rest of the world with gun for the last 40 years?

As an American reading this thread, my biggest takeaway is that people have very inaccurate pictures of what life in the US is like. It sounds like many of you get all of your knowledge about the US from television news. And, clearly your TV news is as bad as ours.

I have a guest bedroom available in the Washington, DC area for anyone that wants to come stay a little while and see what it is actually like.

VAMatt said:
As an American reading this thread, my biggest takeaway is that people have very inaccurate pictures of what life in the US is like. It sounds like many of you get all of your knowledge about the US from television news. And, clearly your TV news is as bad as ours.

I have a guest bedroom available in the Washington, DC area for anyone that wants to come stay a little while and see what it is actually like.

€510 return flights.... I love that modern travel has become so cheap if you are flexible with times! Don't tempt or you could have a rowdy paddy knocking sometime! I have been known to cause internet fights!