By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or Xbox Scarlet will probably price around 499 to 549 USD

Tagged games:

What do you think

Time to quit gaming 4 10.00%

Life must go on 8 20.00%

This price is cheap 0 0%

I need to sell my kidney 2 5.00%

I am willing to pay for the sake of gaming 8 20.00%

I don't care about price ... 18 45.00%

Total:40
Zoombael said:
Chrkeller said:

I stand by it.  I recall people being stunned at the prices for the Vita and ps4.  Both came in way under what most were predicting.  I don't see prices changing in any great deal.

Especially since Sony can mitigate loss on hardware with PSN+ subscriptions.  Sony launched a highly expensive console with the ps3, it didn't turn out well, not until prices were slashed.  

No one was stunned by the launch price of the PS4. It was within the margin of reasonable estimates. 

350 for a PS5 on the other hand is absolutely ridiculous.

Ps3 launch price today would be at a value of around 700. So 500-550 would be well below a "highly expensive console".

To be fair I was typing quick as I was leaving work.  I meant $399 as my prediction.  Not $350, but that was my mistake, hence it is on me.  And I will have to disagree.  People were quite shocked with the ps4 being $399, most thought it was going to be $499.  Either way, this is all speculation.  I stand by my stance.  Time will tell who is right and who is wrong.  I feel perfectly safe with my predication of $399.  

Again, when the ps3 launched, online was free.  Sony now has the luxury of offsetting console loss with PSN+ money.

Around the Network

I have always bought most systems at launch. However... my gaming took a big downturn this gen.... barely even play them... my Xbox one x is basically a paper weight... I think I’m gonna wait next gen. Unless there is a game I feel I absolutely need to play... I’ll wait until they get cheap... or not at al...

By the time, there might be a Switch Lite at 150, base Switch at 250 and "Super Switch*" at 350, they will hold the pace better than the Wii against the PS3 and X360

* Whatever it is, this thing will never be called Switch Pro and you know it, simply because this name has been to much used in rumors.

CGI-Quality said:

I've never seen such a thunderous applause for a console price. 

True.

I have to assume he meant PS3 and got it mixed with PS4 or something...

Chrkeller said:
Zoombael said:

No one was stunned by the launch price of the PS4. It was within the margin of reasonable estimates. 

Ps3 launch price today would be at a value of around 700. So 500-550 would be well below a "highly expensive console".

To be fair I was typing quick as I was leaving work.  I meant $399 as my prediction.  Not $350, but that was my mistake, hence it is on me.  And I will have to disagree.  People were quite shocked with the ps4 being $399, most thought it was going to be $499.  Either way, this is all speculation.  I stand by my stance.  Time will tell who is right and who is wrong.  I feel perfectly safe with my predication of $399.  

Again, when the ps3 launched, online was free.  Sony now has the luxury of offsetting console loss with PSN+ money.

That's not really how I remember it. Rather people were shocked that the XBO was $499. And the reaction to the PS4 price was due to it being cheaper than XBO announced the day before. But prior to either price being announced I don't think people would have been shocked by a $399 console.

$399 for ps5 or Scarlett is inconceivable.

Around the Network

I really don’t want to pay a thousand bucks for a PlayStation/ Xbox, but it looks like Japanese support will remain on those systems so at the end of the day, price doesn’t matter

As is always the case those that can buy at a given price pint will buy it.

Those that can't will wait until the price is more acceptable to them.

CGI-Quality said:
Zoombael said:

No one was stunned by the launch price of the PS4.

I've never seen such a thunderous applause for a console price. 

Yeah, that wins. The crowd was way smaller for this ( hate to use the term ) mic drop moment, but it's deserves a mention. Mic drop before mic drop was a thing....*shudder*.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Chrkeller said:
Zoombael said:

Pricing higher than $499 at launch is going to cause more problems than adding some cost to existing and new services or features next gen. Spreading out the console losses through PS Plus and other means in small increments won't be unexpected next gen so it would be easy to hide. 

This thread have already been discussed recently in VGC.
And PS5 will be as much for hardcore gamers as were PS4, so no point in using that as evidence to say it will cost more. X1 was for a bigger audience, focused on TV but costed 100 more than PS4.

And your pool doesn't have any option to say you are wrong or for people to vote the price they think will be.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."