By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or Xbox Scarlet will probably price around 499 to 549 USD

Tagged games:

What do you think

Time to quit gaming 4 10.00%

Life must go on 8 20.00%

This price is cheap 0 0%

I need to sell my kidney 2 5.00%

I am willing to pay for the sake of gaming 8 20.00%

I don't care about price ... 18 45.00%

Total:40
JRPGfan said:
if its 499$ it better last ~8years.

It doesn't mean Sony can't release a PS5 1.5 mid-gen hardware in 4 years and support both versions for 4+ years.

Around the Network

Those tariffs from Einstein are going to hit Canada too.....assuming the full effect is felt here in regards to consoles, a PS5 may be around $600-$750. That's launch Armageddon. There's obviously bigger problems stemming from his continued existence, but as a citizen of Earth very closely tied to the American economy, f********ck him. Again!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

CuCabeludo said:

500 bucks minimum is a 100% certainty. With the possibility of being even over 500. Ps4 hardware was pretty sub par for its time, Sony was traumatized by how expensive PS3 was at launch and decided to go for lower specs. But this time they are betting on top tier specs again, aiming for the hardcore graphic whore gamer.

I don't understand this perspective at all.  For starters, it absolutely isn't a certainty, unless you can post a direct quote from Sony claiming such a price tag.  Secondly, the Xbox X is the most powerful console on the market, how is it selling?  Yeah, not great. 

Price point + games = success

Power does not equate to success.  Currently the Switch is killing in the market place.  Remind me, what console is by far and away the weakest?  

The original Xbox outclassed the ps2 by a long shot, it wasn't even close...  Which console sold 150 million units?  

The Wii was a glorified Gamecube, I guess that sold like the Virtual Boy?  

Sony will have to find a middle ground with the ps5.  They will have to make core gamers happy with power, but yet maintain a price suitable to the masses.  $500 isn't that price point, most certainly nothing over $500.  

I'm guessing $399, though noticed in my earlier post I had a typo where I said $350.  I meant $399.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 02 August 2019

Chrkeller said:
CuCabeludo said:

500 bucks minimum is a 100% certainty. With the possibility of being even over 500. Ps4 hardware was pretty sub par for its time, Sony was traumatized by how expensive PS3 was at launch and decided to go for lower specs. But this time they are betting on top tier specs again, aiming for the hardcore graphic whore gamer.

I don't understand this perspective at all.  For starters, it absolutely isn't a certainty, unless you can post a direct quote from Sony claiming such a price tag.  Secondly, the Xbox X is the most powerful console on the market, how is it selling?  Yeah, not great. 

Power does not equate to success.  Currently the Switch is killing in the market place.  Remind me, what console is by far and away the weakest?  

The original Xbox outclassed the ps2 by a long shot, it wasn't even close...  Which console sold 150 million units?  

Sony will have to find a middle ground with the ps5.  They will have to make core gamers happy with power, but yet maintain a price suitable to the masses.  $500 isn't that price point, most certainly nothing over $500.  

I'm guessing $399, though noticed in my earlier post I had a typo where I said $350.  I meant $399.  

Sony already stated they are aiming at the harcore gamer with PS5, and the hardcore gamer only. It already implies it will be a more niche product that will let most casual gamers are out of their equation for at least for the first 2 years of the console life until it gets cheaper.

PS5 will be PS4-Pro-Pro in the sense that it doesn't replace the earlier models so Sony can charge a premium over the existing models. I say 499-599 is real depending mostly on the amount of SSD storage that is included. I can see a premium version with 2GB SSD for 599 and a base version with 500GB SSD.

The PS4 Pro 1TB HDD right now is $367.99 and there is no way you are getting a significant upgrade for $399.

Last edited by numberwang - on 02 August 2019

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
Chrkeller said:

Sony already stated they are aiming at the harcore gamer with PS5, and the hardcore gamer only. It already implies it will be a more niche product that will let most casual gamers are out of their equation for at least for the first 2 years of the console life until it gets cheaper.

Lol.  Yes, that is called public relations.  Sony isn't going to make the ps5 a niche console, not when the entire success of the entire Playtation brand has been built on mass appeal.  PSN+ subscriptions rake in billions for Sony.  Do you really believe they want to greatly reduce the number of subscribers by going niche?  I don't.  Sony isn't making the ps5 niche, not even on a temporary basis.  At best I could see Sony dual releasing a ps5 and a ps5 Pro, $399 and $499 respectively.  

Sixteenvolt420 said:
I'd have no problem paying $500 for a PS5.

I used to think that the PS5 would cost 500 dollars in the US and 500 Euros in Europe. But now with Trump's talk about 25% tariffs on video games hardware, I don't know how Sony (MS and Nintendo too) are going to price their systems in America but the pressure is going to be huge cause with all the high tech they are promising for the next gen systems, even without tariffs I wouldn't count on anything under $500 or €500 but with the trade war going on, you Americans might wanna prepare yourselves to $600 or even more and this is obviously not good for the next gen.

(Sony, MS, Nintendo wrote a letter to Trump but with that guy obviously it was going to be a waste of time).

We'll see what they do, I'm curious to see if they'll take the hit and still sell those new gen systems at $500 or pass it on to the consumer. In which case it would be weird to see the PS5 sold for €500 over here and $600 in the US.

Chrkeller said:
CuCabeludo said:

Lol.  Yes, that is called public relations.  Sony isn't going to make the ps5 a niche console, not when the entire success of the entire Playtation brand has been built on mass appeal.  PSN+ subscriptions rake in billions for Sony.  Do you really believe they want to greatly reduce the number of subscribers by going niche?  I don't.  Sony isn't making the ps5 niche, not even on a temporary basis.  At best I could see Sony dual releasing a ps5 and a ps5 Pro, $399 and $499 respectively.  

Unless Sony release another statement reverting what they said about the PS5 being a niche product aimed at the core gamer, yes we can lower the bar for the price. So far, what we have is it will be hefty on pricing based on what we know about the specs so far, like being more powerful (even slightly) than Scarlet which is roughly 4 times more powerful than XONEX.

It will be $499 and I'm fine with that.

Chrkeller said:
Replicant said:

Bold: Lol.

OT: Like Matt, I'll decide when I see if it warrants the price. I'd happily pay a bit more to have locked 60 fps but I hope they manage to keep it at $499. I think $549 or $599 would scare away a lot of potential customers which could affect the diversity of its game library negatively.

I stand by it.  I recall people being stunned at the prices for the Vita and ps4.  Both came in way under what most were predicting.  I don't see prices changing in any great deal.

Especially since Sony can mitigate loss on hardware with PSN+ subscriptions.  Sony launched a highly expensive console with the ps3, it didn't turn out well, not until prices were slashed.  

No one was stunned by the launch price of the PS4. It was within the margin of reasonable estimates. 

350 for a PS5 on the other hand is absolutely ridiculous.

Ps3 launch price today would be at a value of around 700. So 500-550 would be well below a "highly expensive console".

Hunting Season is done...