By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The hardcore console market seems to be shrinking

Jpcc86 said:

PS4 already passed the PS3, PSP and in very short time is gonna pass the PsOne. So on that end I'd say their sales are doing pretty well. 
Xbox is done, forget it. They are dead. They'd be better off selling their franchises to someone else. Let's say, Sony.  

A new console generation is a total refresh. We've seen it swing back and forth pretty hard many times in the past. It's naive to assume next gen will turn out exactly the same as this one.

Except in Japan. No way Xbox does anything there.

Around the Network

It's not shrinking at least not yet.  Some of it is that Xbox is a failed competitor and Nintendo has had a great increase in console sales to core gamers.

konkari said:

I don't think the "hard core" console market is in decline. Considering PS2 was sold as a DVD player, and PS3 as Blue Ray player (XBox was also trying to push some new format). In this gen, there is no market for movie players, so the sales is more representative to core console market. If you sum up PS4, XB1 and NSW, I think the market is even slightly growing.  

Correct and Correct.  However, console sales could start to decline in the future.

Lenny93 said:

PS2 + OG Xbox = 182.33 Million.

PS3 + 360 = 173.21 Million.

PS4 + One projected sells = 164 million, 48 million for Xbox one and 116 million for PS4.

Or do you think that these 2 will eventually match or surpass the previous generation before them?

Well first, every single person that purchases a console is not a hard-core gamer. A lot of people, arguably the majority of gamers are casuals in this day and age, regardless of the system they play on. Of all the people I know and with all the PC's and consoles they have put together, easily 80% of their hardware is used for Candy Crush, the Sims and other such casual software.

Hard-core gamers used to be the majority, long long ago back when video gaming was a thing for nerds. Which means they were the majority of a niche hobby. The real growth in video games consumption roughly since the mid 1990's is mostly of casuals. And today we are drowning in a sea of casuals. The mobile market is absolutely huge, close to a couple billion people playing casually.

If anything I'd say we hard-core gamers are growing but at a much slower pace than the casuals so proportionally we are shrinking and becoming irrelevant. I can only hope that there will be enough of us to sustain and make the creation of good hard-core games a profitable market for video games publishers for many years to come but with the seemingly endless growth of casuals that don't care about quality, intrusive loot-boxes, pay-to-win mechanics etc, I am not sure how we (hard-core gamers) even have a future. Time will tell.

Lenny93 said:

PS4 + One projected sells = 164 million, 48 million for Xbox one and 116 million for PS4.

Or do you think that these 2 will eventually match or surpass the previous generation before them?

I don't think what you're considering is the casual gamer may be moving away from hardware that's focused on core gaming.

The 6th and 7th gen consoles had a ton of software that people considered casual or shovelware. I feel much of that type of software moved to mobile devices, became free downloads and that's where much of the casual audience is now.

Also, its worth considering Nintendo platforms after Wii lost much of the casual audience Nintendo had. The 3DS for example sold much less than DS because casual gamers began playing games on portable smart devices.

Nintendo fans seem to be annoyed you've dismissed the Switch as a core platform and I can see their point. It's evident the Switch audience is not the exact same as PS4 and X1 users, they don't buy 3rd party core games in the same numbers. However, the Switch library and software sales do show it has a core following.

I believe the core gaming market is going strong, but casuals aren't doing much gaming on consoles. Much of kid and family friendly stuff is being played on smart devices. That started in the 7th gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Consoles just lost casual gamers. At least so far. People tend to forget Eyetoy, Singstar and Kinect for example. Attach rate has grown over the generations as well, AFAIK.

People don't need handhelds or consoles for casual gaming anymore, though there still are casual gamers on consoles, but way less than there where in the good old days.

And yes, Switch has a lot of core and hardcore gamers as well.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Lenny93 said:

Well first, every single person that purchases a console is not a hard-core gamer. A lot of people, arguably the majority of gamers are casuals in this day and age, regardless of the system they play on. Of all the people I know and with all the PC's and consoles they have put together, easily 80% of their hardware is used for Candy Crush, the Sims and other such casual software.

Hard-core gamers used to be the majority, long long ago back when video gaming was a thing for nerds. Which means they were the majority of a niche hobby. The real growth in video games consumption roughly since the mid 1990's is mostly of casuals. And today we are drowning in a sea of casuals. The mobile market is absolutely huge, close to a couple billion people playing casually.

If anything I'd say we hard-core gamers are growing but at a much slower pace than the casuals so proportionally we are shrinking and becoming irrelevant. I can only hope that there will be enough of us to sustain and make the creation of good hard-core games a profitable market for video games publishers for many years to come but with the seemingly endless growth of casuals that don't care about quality, intrusive loot-boxes, pay-to-win mechanics etc, I am not sure how we (hard-core gamers) even have a future. Time will tell.

I can't consider who buy less than 2 games a year (all platforms considered) to be hardcore. And that is more than what the average on the system (5 years and ratio is about 10 SW per HW).

Most of us in VGC (even if needing to wait for severe deals and the like) probably buy over one game per month.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

No dont think so especially because Nintendo also got a bit more hardcore since 3 generations.