By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - are you a true gamer?

I think a true gamer is anyone who fairly regularly dedicates some of their time for gaming specifically to enjoy it. As opposed to someone who just kills time with it occasionally while waiting for something else to begin.

Around the Network

Cool opinion. Too bad it's wrong.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

On more consideration I find myself agreeing, I made the mistake of viewing "True Gamer" and "Hardcore Gamer" as the same thing and viewed the video as differentiating between hardcore and casuals, when I don't think that's what it's about at all.

I think people that truly love all of gaming at it's core are more like what you describe. They will play a wide variety of games, they won't choose to miss part of gaming if it only runs at 30fps and they don't need modern graphics to enjoy games.

So I wrongly viewed "True Gamer" as how much people played games, rather than how much they loved the medium as a whole. All Platforms, All Games, All Developers, All Era's. Not just a Nintendo Fan, Not just a PlayStation Fan, Not just a AAA shiny graphics fan. A fan of gaming.

Gaming is a hobby or was since I was 6 going 29 years, but with increasing price I may stop playing.

ipumpmygun said:
Gaming is a hobby or was since I was 6 going 29 years, but with increasing price I may stop playing.

I wouldn't say gaming is becoming more expensive. Especially if you take inflation into account.

N64 games regularly launched at over $60, some up to $80. With inflation that's like $95($60) to $120($80) lol. I guess it's expensive in other ways, but in terms of just game prices it's cheap, because the standard rate of $60 for a new title has been the same since the 360 launched in 2005.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The use of terms like "true gamer" or "hardcore gamer" being used as marks of superiority over others has always reeked of arrogant elitism to me, and still reminds me of the days of internet Neckbeards throwing hissy fits over the Wii's success because it dared to appeal to people outside their demographic, or as they referred to the them, "filthy casuals".

It's something I sincerely hope gaming will someday outgrow.

Not going to happen.  Humans need to out grow the need to be elitist in just about every hobby they do before that will ever happen.

curl-6 said:

The use of terms like "true gamer" or "hardcore gamer" being used as marks of superiority over others has always reeked of arrogant elitism to me, and still reminds me of the days of internet Neckbeards throwing hissy fits over the Wii's success because it dared to appeal to people outside their demographic, or as they referred to the them, "filthy casuals".

It's something I sincerely hope gaming will someday outgrow.

There is even digs in this thread to mobile and casual gaming... even though if we like it or not, mums on facebook pumping money into coin king and candy crush put more money into this industry than most "true gamers" combined.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Barkley said:
ipumpmygun said:

I wouldn't say gaming is becoming more expensive. Especially if you take inflation into account.

N64 games regularly launched at over $60, some up to $80. With inflation that's like $95($60) to $120($80) lol. I guess it's expensive in other ways, but in terms of just game prices it's cheap, because the standard rate of $60 for a new title has been the same since the 360 launched in 2005.

Agreed that the cost of gaming has been very stable overall. It's been a strange ride up here though. Prices have fluctuated wildly in Canada. For example, the $120 you ( rightfully ) lol'd at was what I paid for Phantasy Star 2 in early 1990. That was before 14% sales tax was applied. I won't go down the line, but the time period of 88'-92 were the dark ages of prices up here. I remember being in the U.S. in 89' and talking to a father and son at a Target store. We we're all looking for Double Dragon, which was almost impossible to find at that point. When I told them that it cost $99 in Canada, their bow-ties began spinning, and steam shot out of their ears.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I'm about as true a gamer as XB1X is true 4k, whatever that means exactly.

Shadow1980 said:
Barkley said:

You are correct:

The launch prices of new software in inflation-adjusted terms peaked in the 16-bit era. Disc-based games were initially expensive as well, though later on some PS1 games got to be pretty affordable. But in general, the cost of software has been trending downward over time.

While technically true, this narrative just serves publishers to increase their ingame costs. Games might have become cheaper on their initial price but at the same time they lost content that has to be purchased separately. On top of that we have online subscription costs on consoles.

I'd say things have not really changed much as games can be cheap but they can also be pretty expensive, which is the same as in the earlier gaming years.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.