By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does the Switch's third party support stack up to other Nintendo handhelds?

Regarding third party support on the Nintendo Switch, some people will instantly compare it to the PS4 or Xbox One. In that sense, it does seem much weaker in that regard, and that's not surprising given hardware limitations. However, I feel like that's the wrong approach to take with the Switch. Given that its main gimmick is to be taken on the go in either handheld or Tabletop mode, we really should be comparing it to past Nintendo handhelds. The Game Boys, GBA, DS, and 3DS. In terms of where the Nintendo Switch ranks, I think it sits nicely in between the GBA and the DS. The GBA got a lot of great 16-bit ports, and even custom sprite-based versions of popular console franchises, and the Switch a lot of indie and AA multi-platform titles, as well as the occasional AAA feat every now and again. The DS got some console ports, but it was mainly known for its exclusive titles, that leveraged the system's unique capabilities. The Switch while it doesn't have as many of those, still has a nice share of games that at least were exclusive at one point. It's already miles ahead of the 3DS, which got largely Japanese titles and not much else. The Switch has indies, Western and Japanese AA titles, and a few AAA games. That makes it a more robust lineup than the 3DS, which was much more of a first party machine than some fans like to admit.

Around the Network

3ds had metal gear 3
Super Street fighter 4
Resident evil mercenaries and revelations
Rayman legends
Driver renegades

All within the first year or so, it by no means had bad 3rd party support.

That said, Nintendo machines are very rarely remembered for their 3rd party offerings, it's normally the first party that sticks in people's heads for generations.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
3ds had metal gear 3
Super Street fighter 4
Rayman legends
Driver renegades

That was only the first year or so. Afterwards, most third parties have more or less abandoned the 3DS. The system only got as much support as it did initially because it was the successor to the most successful gaming platform of all time behind the PS2.

Ganoncrotch said:
3ds had metal gear 3
Super Street fighter 4
Rayman legends
Driver renegades

That said, Nintendo machines are very rarely remembered for their 3rd party offerings, it's normally the first party that sticks in people's heads for generations.

Switch had a few of those too: Rayman Legends and RE Revelations, and both of them enhanced and with more content.
Then there was also Skyrim, Star Dew Valley, Disgaea 5, Golf Story, NBA 2K18, Doom,  Rocket League, Fire Emblem Warriors,  Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, Minecraft, World of Goo, Oxenfree, LA Noire. All in year 1

But then in Year 2: Civilization 6, Wolfenstein, Undertale, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, Bastion, Cities: Skylines, Okami HD, Hollow Knight, Ikaruga, Diablo 3, Dead Cells, Into the Breach, Katamari, Warframe, Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Dark Souls Remastered, Fortnite, South Park Fractured, South Park Stick of Truth.

And this year it's got Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, X, and 12.

Also, something like 3000 other games.

Anyway, I'd give it to Switch if this is really the best 3DS can offer, and several times over.

Although Switch is not really a handheld, it's a hybrid. It has also been observed that the software and sales of software are more akin to that seen on Home Consoles rather than handhelds. That is why you're seeing the more home-console-like lineup on Switch.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

But EA.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
In terms of JRPG, the DS/3DS still has it beaten but as for the rest of genres and variety of games, I'd say the Switch is leading the pack above the rest.

With Fire Emblem Three Houses, Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, X, 12, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Disgaea 1 and 5, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, like 50 Atelier ____ games, Tales of Vesperia, Dark Souls, all the classic Phantasy Star games, the Shining Force games, the Romancing SaGa games, Ys Book 8, Dragon Quest 11 in a bit, and dozens more, I'd say it's not even close.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 31 July 2019

More ports, less unique titles.

Barkley said:

I'm not sure if this is directed at me. More ports is true, but if we're looking at the first 2 years and 4 months, then not really: nearly all of the 3DS RPGs in the first 2 years and 4 months were ports, and nearly all of the DS RPGs in that time period were uninspired and not even worth mentioning.

Looking at all the third-party RPGs on DS, 3DS, and Switch that scored above 75 released in the first 2 years and 4 months:

3. DS has 3 (out of 19 total releases)
2. 3DS has 9 (out of 16 total releases, almost all of them are ports, I'll add)
1. Switch has 49 (out of 108 total releases)

Head to head, the Switch is totally levelling Nintendo's handhelds on the RPG front. The distance is so significant that it's not even debatable.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 31 July 2019

Barkley said:

That's true of 3rd parties in general though as they have shifted more and more to multiplat releases.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

That's true of 3rd parties in general though as they have shifted more and more to multiplat releases.

This. You need to keep in mind that this isn't the DS days anymore, where each platform had radically different architecture that often led to exclusives. Exclusives still exist, but they're not as ubiquitous now, since it's so easy to port from platform to platform these days, why wouldn't you want to do it? It's free money! That, and AAA game development is so expensive you need to release on multiple platforms for the most part.

With that in mind, The Switch is a good home for all the Indie and AA multiplatform titles on other systems, as well as a handful of exclusives sprinkled in as well.