Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does the Switch's third party support stack up to other Nintendo handhelds?

TheMisterManGuy said:
Chrkeller said:

Platinum isn't owned by Nintendo.  How are those first party titles?

Nintendo's calling the shots. They own the trademark to Astral Chain, they're pouring money into development and marketing. It doesn't matter if Platinum is owned by Nintendo or not, the development team answers to them for this title.

Bayonetta is a bit trickier. Sega owns the Bayonetta trademark, but Nintendo owns the rights Bayonetta 2 and 3 under the license of Sega. 

So all those RARE games published by Nintendo were actually first-party titles and not second party titles?



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
couchmonkey said:
Darwinianevolution said:
It's good, but it could be better. It's definitively shaping up to be a great library, but it still lacks the amount of big JRPGs the 3DS had, not to mention the sheer variety the GBA and certainly the DS had. It's at least better than the GB at this point.

You are surely right, but as a casual JRPG fan, all I needed to hear was “Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12” to make me forget all about 3DS.  I will also say that amazing 3DS rpg lineup comes at the cost of many other genres: I can’t think of more than 3 good racing games or platformers on the system.

I agree with you there, but it’s so much more than that. If you take a look, you’ll see the nonsense in saying that any other Nintendo handhelds stand up to Switch’s RPG (or JRPG, if you want to call them that) library.

When you look at what’s listed on Metacritic as an RPG first two years and four months of DS, most of them aren’t even really RPGs, just action games with a fantasy theme. What can be considered a “JRPG”? There was this game called Contact and a remake of the NES game FF3j.

Are we really going to pretend that this stands up to the dozens of “JRPGs” on Switch which include: enhanced ports of FF7, X, X-2, 12. Disgaea 1 and 5, Tales of Vesperia, the Romancing Saga games (which I don’t think were ever released here before), all those 126 or so Atelier games, those Super Neptunia games, Langrisser 1 and 2, Ys VIII, and Oraclepath Traveller?

None of Nintendo’s handhelds had even close to the output of RPGs/JRPGs that the Switch has had. When you combine all (GB, GBA, DS, and 3DS) RPGs, that number not only falls short of the total on Switch, but it’s less than half.

I think people really aren’t aware exactly what has been achieved with the Switch. When compared to Nintendo’s handhelds, it totally stomps them. The Switch is 2 years and 4 months old, it is already WAAY ahead where any Nintendo handheld was at that point. In some ways, further than they’d ever reach.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Chrkeller said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Nintendo's calling the shots. They own the trademark to Astral Chain, they're pouring money into development and marketing. It doesn't matter if Platinum is owned by Nintendo or not, the development team answers to them for this title.

Bayonetta is a bit trickier. Sega owns the Bayonetta trademark, but Nintendo owns the rights Bayonetta 2 and 3 under the license of Sega. 

I've always considered that 2nd party.  But it doesn't really matter.  For me 1st party is Nintendo developed.  

Jumpin said:

So all those RARE games published by Nintendo were actually first-party titles and not second party titles?

Second party is a variation of first party, not an equal mix of first and third party. Second party is also terminology that is gamer speak. You'll never see anyone in the business talk about second party game sales.

I don't know why the second party terminology was ever coined to begin with. Perhaps some people wanted to fantasize about the possibility of first party games getting ported to other consoles or it was about list wars and disqualifying a number of games to push an agenda.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Jumpin said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Nintendo's calling the shots. They own the trademark to Astral Chain, they're pouring money into development and marketing. It doesn't matter if Platinum is owned by Nintendo or not, the development team answers to them for this title.

Bayonetta is a bit trickier. Sega owns the Bayonetta trademark, but Nintendo owns the rights Bayonetta 2 and 3 under the license of Sega. 

So all those RARE games published by Nintendo were actually first-party titles and not second party titles?

Rare was a special case, they actually self-published quite a few of their own N64 titles. Nintendo distributed all of Rare's self-published games, but had little to no hand in producing those games. This is why all trademarks of Original Rare IP went to Microsoft when when they were sold. Nintendo owned very little of Rare's games.



RolStoppable said:
Chrkeller said:

I've always considered that 2nd party.  But it doesn't really matter.  For me 1st party is Nintendo developed.  

Jumpin said:

So all those RARE games published by Nintendo were actually first-party titles and not second party titles?

Second party is a variation of first party, not an equal mix of first and third party. Second party is also terminology that is gamer speak. You'll never see anyone in the business talk about second party game sales.

I don't know why the second party terminology was ever coined to begin with. Perhaps some people wanted to fantasize about the possibility of first party games getting ported to other consoles or it was about list wars and disqualifying a number of games to push an agenda.

You mean like the exclusive Nintendo published Banjo Kazooie going to the Xbox?  Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Bayo 3, so I fail to understand how it is 1st party.  



Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
RolStoppable said:

Second party is a variation of first party, not an equal mix of first and third party. Second party is also terminology that is gamer speak. You'll never see anyone in the business talk about second party game sales.

I don't know why the second party terminology was ever coined to begin with. Perhaps some people wanted to fantasize about the possibility of first party games getting ported to other consoles or it was about list wars and disqualifying a number of games to push an agenda.

You mean like the exclusive Nintendo published Banjo Kazooie going to the Xbox?  Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Bayo 3, so I fail to understand how it is 1st party.  

Rare had ownership of the IPs they created themselves and part of Microsoft's bid may have been that Nintendo lets go off IPs where they owned them with Rare together (although I doubt that Nintendo had part-ownership of any of them, rather there were only publishing deals which is something different). The Donkey Kong IP and its new characters (including the spinoff Diddy Kong Racing) obviously didn't go to Microsoft, because Nintendo owned the IP.

Nintendo shares the copyright for Bayonetta 3 with Sega, the same as it has been for Bayonetta 2. This means that Nintendo can veto any attempt of Sega to port Bayonetta 2 and/or 3 to other platforms. Nintendo obviously won't allow it, hence why only the first Bayonetta got ported to the PC recently. That's why Bayonetta 2 and 3 are first party games because Nintendo has the same control as with their fully owned games. Sega could buy Nintendo's share of the copyright, but if Sega had any strong interest in Bayonetta, they wouldn't have partnered with Nintendo to make more Bayonetta to begin with and instead funded the development costs themselves.

A recent example for the difference between IP ownership/trademark ownership/copyright and publishing is Octopath Traveler. Nintendo was not involved beyond publishing, so Square-Enix could take the game and port it to the PC (and other consoles if they are interested in doing that).



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club