By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results (Switch 36.87 million)

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

Smash Ultimate should pass 20 million lifetime.

BOTW may or may not, but the mere fact we're discussing the possibility of a Zelda game topping 20 million is insane.

Just from the games we know of so far, Splatoon 2, Mario Maker 2, Sword/Shield, and Animal Crossing will all pass 10 million, adding to the five games already in the 8-figures club. Heck, even Super Mario Party could get there in the long run.

Currently the record for the most 10-million-plus sellers on a Nintendo system is a tie between the Wii and DS at 10 games each. Switch looks almost certain to bust that record.

Mario Party Switch continues to sell about 150,000 per month and will probably join the 10 million club in 2020. Astral Chain is a big unknown - my gut says it will sell low, but Switch games tend to surprise. Astral Chain seemed much more widely appealing than I previously thought it would be before I played it. My issue came with the fact that the developer tends to make very niche action titles like Madworld and Bayonetta; Astral Chain is a different kind of game, it kind of reminded me of FFX somehow.

Okay, I've been making a conscious effort to be more positive over the last year, and this comment may well come back to bite me on the arse, but I have trouble seeing Astral Chain become a smash hit. I don't think it will flop, but it just seems a bit too niche to be runaway success. It's got the usual Platinum dual-problem of being stylistically non-mainstream and receiving little to no advertising. Even most Switch owners I know weren't aware of its existence until I brought it up.

However, a game I can see possibly broaching the 10 million barrier lifetime is Luigi's Mansion 3; LM2 managed nearly 6 million on the 3DS and the Switch has demonstrated far greater software-selling power than its handheld predecessor.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 August 2019

Around the Network
Amnesia said:

I was just watching this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHDytUyht7k

We have no clue about the last numbers of Labo ? the #4 was a flop ?

They should have looked for a way to combine 2 and 4, being the Robo and the VR kit. Since the former has a visor anyway, it just makes sense to me to put both of them together.

jonathanalis said:
Can we expect 30M Mario kart 8 deluxe lifetime?
For now, seems 25M is a given.

About Zelda, I don't think botw2 would impact botw sales. Part of newcomers that would buy Zelda botw would buy both now, because don't seems that botw2 is going to replace botw, like a mk9 would with 8.

At the rate it is going, it even has a shot at overtaking Mario Kart Wii, and that's without counting the Wii version. Mario Kart Wii, which btw is still selling and shows up regularly on the Amazon Top 100.

That reminds me, anyone has a clue if Nintendo made new shipments of MKWii this quarter again? I think there were 300k last quarter (or was that the holiday quarter?) iirc, so it's not impossible.

Soundwave said:
StarDoor said:

Weird way to low-ball. Aren't you supposed to start with the lower target? Sony projected 16 million for the fiscal year three months ago.

And it's pretty clear as to why they reduced it:

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/19q1_supplement.pdf

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/19q1_sonypre.pdf

It's odd because the Q1 the PS4 just had is better than any Q1 the Switch has ever had and was a very solid start to the fiscal year. There's virtually no YoY decline from last year's Q1 which was 3.2 million. They may be forecasting in China tarrifs forcing them to up-price the PS4 later in the fiscal year which they have warned about. 

Well, if you take a look at Japan, several countries in Europe and the US, then the PS4 is down by quite a bit in most regions by about 30%.

It's possible that US retailers have ordered the console en masse in prospect of the tariffs so they'll have a complete stock before this happens. With the new Switch models incoming, they couldn't do the same with Nintendo, giving them even more space to fill up with Playstations.

In fact, it might not be the tariffs on consoles only, but since there were a slew of tariffs that came into effect yesterday, there might have been something in those that could have negatively impacted the console market.

But all this is to be taken with a heavy grain of salt. I think we'll have a clearer picture during the next quarter results.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 03 August 2019

Well, if you take a look at Japan, several countries in Europe and the US, then the PS4 is down by quite a bit in most regions by about 30%.

It's possible that US retailers have ordered the console en masse in prospect of the tariffs so they'll have a complete stock before this happens. With the new Switch models incoming, they couldn't do the same with Nintendo, giving them even more space to fill up with Playstations.

In fact, it might not be the tariffs on consoles only, but since there were a slew of tariffs that came into effect yesterday, there might have been something in those that could have negatively impacted the console market.

But all this is to be taken with a heavy grain of salt. I think we'll have a clearer picture during the next quarter results.

According to VGC, 13.1%.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/439757/year-on-year-sales-amp-market-share-charts-july-20-2019/

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 04 August 2019

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

According to VGC, 13.1%.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/439757/year-on-year-sales-amp-market-share-charts-july-20-2019/

That's all of the markets combined. Including others (which are probably up compared to last year) and all countries in Europe, while I just said some countries in Europe.

In the US and in Japan however, sales seem to be around 30% down. For instance, the PS4 sold almost 700k so far in Japan, but it did over 1M already by this point last year. In the US, PS4 sales are marketly down from last year according to NPD, at least until April (we didn't get any June results). I'll give you Shadow1980's charts for you to see:

Shadow1980 said:

Chart time!

The PS4 had its worst month yet, and the XBO had its second-worst month (though its worst month, May 2014, was when they announced a Kinect-less SKU for release in June, resulting in a much larger April-to-May drop that year). For YTD sales, the PS4 is down 32.9% YoY while the XBO is down 34.1%. While the Switch's sales have grown by a healthy 23.3% for the year so far, it wasn't enough to offset the losses from the PS4 & XBO, and so far console sales are down 15.7% from the Jan.-May period of last year.

See how that Dark Blue line at the end in every month from March to May was the lowest it ever reached in those months, and January and February it only managed to equal the lowest numbers of those months. The last chart says it all: 2018 was at over 1.5M at that point, while 2019 barely managed to get past the 1M mark.

It also seems to be down by a similar amount in some European countries, though Europe as a whole isn't down by that much.

Nice. This means the Switch should surpass the Xbox One between December 2019 to march 2020. That attach rate is incredible.

Around the Network

Looking at those tie ratios I must be one of like 6 Switch owners who doesn't own BOTW, Mario Kart 8, or Smash Ultimate on it, lulz

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nice. This means the Switch should surpass the Xbox One between December 2019 to march 2020. That attach rate is incredible.

Don't forget there's a holiday season before that, and with a mainline Pokemon title to boot. In other words, XBO should be overtaken this year already.

curl-6 said:

Looking at those tie ratios I must be one of like 6 Switch owners who doesn't own BOTW, Mario Kart 8, or Smash Ultimate on it, lulz

Wait, what? You don't own BotW? Do you own the Wii U version or something?

HylianSwordsman said:
curl-6 said:

Wait, what? You don't own BotW? Do you own the Wii U version or something?

Yeah, got it on Wii U as I was far from sold on Switch at the time. I wanted to wait and see if the Switch was going to turn out to be another Wii U type failure before I bought one, so I didn't bite the bullet til October 2017.