By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Papa Phil: "Xbox has to mean quality games"

Tagged games:

DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:

"Companies wants your money, "consumer friendly" is just a interpretation we do on their way of doing it. If you like the service to pay the price it is friendly enough for you."

I don't know why you felt the need to make that statement, but ok. We agree.

"going by vgc they preffer x1 library that is why they have x1. what about it?"

For the life of me I do not understand this question. By any chance did you read the conversation we were having?

Yes I did. But I have no idea why you think it is relevant that X1 customer like the library, if they didn't and keep buying they would be masochist.

"I have 0 value for play anywhere and portability."

Ehh... ok.. thanks for informing me?

You were acting as if anyone that doesn't want play anywhere would be lying.

"PS3 had full BC for ps2 and 1, didn't brought sales and the removal of bc didn't lost sales. objectivelly doesn't matter how you feel about it."

Ehhh... we were not talking about sales. Again, did you read the conversation?

You acted as if BC was relevant depending if one company or another done it. I gave you objective evidence that it never mattered much.

"remasters are more improvements than bc, also doesn't sell that much."

Ehhh... same answer as above.

Not the same, but again just show BC isn't of much relevance.

You have a pretty...  interesting way of interpreting things.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
SvennoJ said:
Bring the quality games and I'll buy an XBox again, simple as that. Except if I can just play the one game I'm interested in on my gaming laptop for $1 on GamePass, no need to buy an extra box. Simple. MS has saved me a lot of money this gen!

I really think MS shot themselves in the foot by putting Gamepass on PC (and also by releasing their exclusives at the same time on PC). For the life of me I do not understand what is their endgame here. Maybe there is some master plan for the long run that I'm just not seeing.

It's not only that you can simply play it on PC. To me at least, it also feels like compromises have been made and the game has not been 'coded to the metal' on the console. The more scale-able a game is, the less it's optimized for one particular piece of hardware. Resources have been spread to make it run on different types of hardware, which diminishes the effect of exclusive polish.

So if XBox wants to mean best quality games again, they need to focus on one platform instead of essentially making multi plat games.

Anyway I think the master plan is very simple. Expand XBL, add more subscription based services, hardware and exclusives are secondary to services. A steady revenue is MS' goal, get rid of the cycle of investing and waiting for the second half of the gen to reap in the rewards.

I'd like to recommend to Microsoft that their games not only be of great quality, but also great variety. They've barely tried to court people who like a little color in their games, and when they do they give up on the franchise. Would it hurt to at least try to appeal to people that don't just want realistic sports games and shooters? Sony isn't doing much better in my opinion, but at least they try every now and again.

super_etecoon said:
I'd like to recommend to Microsoft that their games not only be of great quality, but also great variety. They've barely tried to court people who like a little color in their games, and when they do they give up on the franchise. Would it hurt to at least try to appeal to people that don't just want realistic sports games and shooters? Sony isn't doing much better in my opinion, but at least they try every now and again.

I would say they have started improving on the variety, but those titles have suffered from quality.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I hope Xbox becomes more attractive again next gen. Relalizing one's flaws is the first step to improvement.

Around the Network

There is one thing that Phil need to do. "prove it "

The good thing about this gen is that Aaron Greenberg has reverted to his natural state. A pile of sludge in the corner.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Azzanation said:
Pemalite said:

Sad but true. Halo Wars 2 was actually a ton of fun... But sadly the multiplayer population imploded a few days after release in Oceania and I haven't been able to have a match since.

Hopefully with Microsoft opening up their wallets and buying up a ton of studios we see them put their best foot forward next gen.. But I still hold some reservation.

Do you both on-purpose skip out on other IPs like Ori and the Blind Forest and Killer Instinct. One being one of the best Indy games this gen while the other being one of the best fighting games this gen?

Thats 6 solid titles and thats me just thinking off the top of my head. Yes Horizon and Motorsport are two different games.

Halo Wars 2 was pretty fun so i agree there plus more studios should only add more to the list.

I have 400+ games on my Xbox One X console. - Bit of a stretch to assume I have skipped out on anything.

A few solid titles here and there isn't a good thing, Microsoft needs to pick up it's game. (Pun intended.)

So far my favorite game from Microsoft this generation is probably Killer Instinct, which consequently is my favorite fighting game of the generation, but that title is 6 years old at this point... And not what I would even consider as an Xbox exclusive as it's also on PC.

thismeintiel said:

I think someone else is playing console warz when they completely ignore the importance of that image. There's a reason a reason the PS4 just hit 100M the fastest of any console. And without a permanent cut below $300, too. While XBO won't even get close to that. It's partly because of that image even being possible.

The image itself is actually inaccurate, there are a few games that got cancelled on it and even more games that were pretty average.

However... It paints a very real picture that Sony just has more games output... It's also an issue that Nintendo had with the WiiU and turned that around by not having development split between two devices with the Switch.
It does mean that collecting games for my WiiU console was made a ton easier though... There isn't allot of quality titles in retrospect.

SvennoJ said:

It's not only that you can simply play it on PC. To me at least, it also feels like compromises have been made and the game has not been 'coded to the metal' on the console. The more scale-able a game is, the less it's optimized for one particular piece of hardware. Resources have been spread to make it run on different types of hardware, which diminishes the effect of exclusive polish.

So if XBox wants to mean best quality games again, they need to focus on one platform instead of essentially making multi plat games.

Anyway I think the master plan is very simple. Expand XBL, add more subscription based services, hardware and exclusives are secondary to services. A steady revenue is MS' goal, get rid of the cycle of investing and waiting for the second half of the gen to reap in the rewards.

Well no. Scalability doesn't compromise anything.
Game engines have always been scalable... Final Fantasy 8 scaled well to the PC, Halo: Combat Evolved scaled well to the PC, Gears of War was very scalable on PC, Turok scaled well to the PC.... List goes on. - And they all used the consoles hardware capabilities to their fullest essentially.

And the best looking games on 7th gen... Battlefield 3/4 using Frostbite looked damn impressive on the Xbox 360 and looked absolutely next-gen on PC.

The PC isn't what holds back console games, it's actually the opposite.

DonFerrari said:

I would say they have started improving on the variety, but those titles have suffered from quality.

I would like to see some single player, open world, role playing games... Microsoft has neglected that demographic for the longest time it feels like since they pretty much threw Fable in the bin.

And now that they have Obsidian, they are in a good position to do that in my opinion.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

I have 400+ games on my Xbox One X console. - Bit of a stretch to assume I have skipped out on anything.

A few solid titles here and there isn't a good thing, Microsoft needs to pick up it's game. (Pun intended.)

So far my favorite game from Microsoft this generation is probably Killer Instinct, which consequently is my favorite fighting game of the generation, but that title is 6 years old at this point... And not what I would even consider as an Xbox exclusive as it's also on PC.

400 is a big library however the whole Xbox only has Halo, Gears, and Forza saying is a poor judgement in what the console actually offers. Yes they are MS's biggest games however to excuse games like Killer Instinct and Ori just to name a couple is sort of disrespectful to the system.

Killer Instinct is a game that's been heavily supported from day one back in 2013 and only recently has stopped with 3 Expansion Packs. Its been Xboxs best revival game. Its that good of a game that there is a high chance of it becoming a future staple to the Xbox brand. Fingers crossed for its future sequel being just as good as the 1st game. Also KI being on PC makes no difference since Halo, Gears and Forza are also on PC. It should be included in the discussion when talking about Xboxs Pillar games especially this gen. KI has carried the X1 and deserves credit from day one.

Ori and the Blind Forest is MS's best new IP this gen. The indy game was that good it is getting a high budget sequel. Its a series I don't see being a 1 hit wonder. When gamers want to talk about some amazing IPs MS has created this gen, Ori is the first game that comes to mind. 

This gen, the X1s best game series have been..

Ori and the Blind Forest (2 Games)

Killer Instinct (3 Expansions)

Halo (2 Games)

Gears Of War (2 Games)

Forza Motorsport (3 Games)

Forza Horizon (3 Games)

That's a lot of support for those games in 1 generation and we should be adding another 3 IPs to the typical Halo, Gears and Forza saying. KI, Ori and Horizon have earnt there place this gen and next gen shouldn't be any different. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 31 July 2019

Pemalite said:
Azzanation said:

Do you both on-purpose skip out on other IPs like Ori and the Blind Forest and Killer Instinct. One being one of the best Indy games this gen while the other being one of the best fighting games this gen?

Thats 6 solid titles and thats me just thinking off the top of my head. Yes Horizon and Motorsport are two different games.

Halo Wars 2 was pretty fun so i agree there plus more studios should only add more to the list.

thismeintiel said:

I think someone else is playing console warz when they completely ignore the importance of that image. There's a reason a reason the PS4 just hit 100M the fastest of any console. And without a permanent cut below $300, too. While XBO won't even get close to that. It's partly because of that image even being possible.

The image itself is actually inaccurate, there are a few games that got cancelled on it and even more games that were pretty average.

However... It paints a very real picture that Sony just has more games output... It's also an issue that Nintendo had with the WiiU and turned that around by not having development split between two devices with the Switch.
It does mean that collecting games for my WiiU console was made a ton easier though... There isn't allot of quality titles in retrospect.

SvennoJ said:

Well no. Scalability doesn't compromise anything.
Game engines have always been scalable... Final Fantasy 8 scaled well to the PC, Halo: Combat Evolved scaled well to the PC, Gears of War was very scalable on PC, Turok scaled well to the PC.... List goes on. - And they all used the consoles hardware capabilities to their fullest essentially.

And the best looking games on 7th gen... Battlefield 3/4 using Frostbite looked damn impressive on the Xbox 360 and looked absolutely next-gen on PC.

The PC isn't what holds back console games, it's actually the opposite.

DonFerrari said:

I would like to see some single player, open world, role playing games... Microsoft has neglected that demographic for the longest time it feels like since they pretty much threw Fable in the bin.

And now that they have Obsidian, they are in a good position to do that in my opinion.

I do agree there are some type of games MS still needs to cover (Sony also left some genres uncovered this gen, last gen when they were accepting more possible failures they had a lot more variety), but they have started. SoT is a clear different game from the rest of their IPs, the studios they bought also have different genres they work on and I'll wait the output before judging.

About best looking console game on 7th gen I would still grant that title to either Killzone or TLOU.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."