By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Papa Phil: "Xbox has to mean quality games"

Tagged games:

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Nah, any thread you might have maybe potentially seen here with news that Microsoft thinks “SP is dead” is as much of fake news as your post. They haven’t said that. 

Your own personal opinions on SP and GAAS doesn’t change reality. You can have GAAS and still be SP. Games that are SP and have GAAS elements sell tens of millions every single year. Also the stories here are self contained. They are complete games. 

I don’t even know how to decipher that last part. 

Sure sure, much fakenews... must be the reason for the plenty of SP is dead memes and comments on several threads here.

https://gearnuke.com/microsoft-difficult-to-make-triple-a-game/

Perhaps this MS person is lying?

Well if you can't decipher perhaps we should ask it a different way. Dos Xbox means guality games?

The link you provided has an Xbox exec literally saying they love SP games and there will always be a place for SP games. You can read that and ignore what he literally says to try and paint a picture of what he didn’t say? You do you. 

Also that article doesn’t make sense anyway. It says SoD2 has a MP focused campaign.... no it doesn’t. MP is entirely optional. I’ve put tons of time into SoD2 and have maybe 10 minutes of multiplayer. 

Having MP doesn’t mean SP isn’t important. Last of Us 2 will have MP. Does that mean it doesn’t count as a SP driven title? 

Thanks for trying to clarify but you literally made it worse.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure sure, much fakenews... must be the reason for the plenty of SP is dead memes and comments on several threads here.

https://gearnuke.com/microsoft-difficult-to-make-triple-a-game/

Perhaps this MS person is lying?

Well if you can't decipher perhaps we should ask it a different way. Dos Xbox means guality games?

The link you provided has an Xbox exec literally saying they love SP games and there will always be a place for SP games. You can read that and ignore what he literally says to try and paint a picture of what he didn’t say? You do you. 

Also that article doesn’t make sense anyway. It says SoD2 has a MP focused campaign.... no it doesn’t. MP is entirely optional. I’ve put tons of time into SoD2 and have maybe 10 minutes of multiplayer. 

Having MP doesn’t mean SP isn’t important. Last of Us 2 will have MP. Does that mean it doesn’t count as a SP driven title? 

Thanks for trying to clarify but you literally made it worse.

I made it worse how? You can't reply if Xbox means quality games?

They love SP games, but don't focus on the SP, they love SP games but say it is hard to make and profit, etc... they only make SP as part of the game and if they can put content to monetize for 2 years.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

What does "focus on the SP" mean? This interview was from last year. They'd just released State of Decay 2, which has a lot of focus on the SP. It even just received a big single player update. After that they released Horizon 4, one of the best racers ever, and it has a ton of focus on SP. You can do everything in SP. It even has the Drivatars for you if you want to play solo. They also had Ashen and Below, two single player titles. This year they had Crackdown, again a big SP emphasis, and they have Gears coming, again a big SP emphasis. I know you don't play Xbox games, but ignorance is no excuse to continue to be so incorrect.

Also a vast majority of this content is not monetized. Another thing you'd know if you paid attention or played the games. Sure, they have add-ons for some of the games, but GAAS doesn't have to revolve around monetization. It's about keeping a players interest and continually adding value to a game. State of Decay has had like 8 or 9 big free updates adding more content and more things to do, all free. Crackdown got a couple big updates adding a lot of cool stuff to do in the campaign mode, free of charge. Horizon 4 has paid DLC, but it also has loads of revolving content that makes it fresh, all free.

LudicrousSpeed said:

What does "focus on the SP" mean? This interview was from last year. They'd just released State of Decay 2, which has a lot of focus on the SP. It even just received a big single player update. After that they released Horizon 4, one of the best racers ever, and it has a ton of focus on SP. You can do everything in SP. It even has the Drivatars for you if you want to play solo. They also had Ashen and Below, two single player titles. This year they had Crackdown, again a big SP emphasis, and they have Gears coming, again a big SP emphasis. I know you don't play Xbox games, but ignorance is no excuse to continue to be so incorrect.

Also a vast majority of this content is not monetized. Another thing you'd know if you paid attention or played the games. Sure, they have add-ons for some of the games, but GAAS doesn't have to revolve around monetization. It's about keeping a players interest and continually adding value to a game. State of Decay has had like 8 or 9 big free updates adding more content and more things to do, all free. Crackdown got a couple big updates adding a lot of cool stuff to do in the campaign mode, free of charge. Horizon 4 has paid DLC, but it also has loads of revolving content that makes it fresh, all free.

I think you mistaken a game having a single player component with a game being single player focus. Its like single player game like uncharted, it has multiplayer, but we all know thats just a little side thing and not the focus of the game. Some reviewers even skimp over that part because they know whoever is buying that game is not doing it because of the multiplayer. Thats like saying destiny/the division/anthem are single player game. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

It isn’t like that at all because those games are online only games that force you into multiplayer. None of the games I listed do that. There’s nothing shoehorned or cut rate about the single player in any of those games I listed compared to the multiplayer.

What you said about the Uncharted MP applies to every game I listed except maybe Gears, but it’s clear from the marketing that the story is still the focus.

Around the Network

While we're on GaaS.... I think that MS has done a good job of not making monetization too intrusive in their games. The same goes for Sony, and Nintendo. It's the third-party publishers that are pushing GaaS in sometimes uncomfortable ways. But, even there, I think many games, the last two Ass Creed games being a great example, do a fine job of balancing their need to make.money with the player's desire to not be constantly asked to swipe their credit card.

In other words, while there certainly have been some badly implemented systems in some games, GaaS and MTs in most games just aren't as terrible as some gamers make them out to be. People just seem to want to be outraged about one thing or another.

VAMatt said:
While we're on GaaS.... I think that MS has done a good job of not making monetization too intrusive in their games. The same goes for Sony, and Nintendo. It's the third-party publishers that are pushing GaaS in sometimes uncomfortable ways. But, even there, I think many games, the last two Ass Creed games being a great example, do a fine job of balancing their need to make.money with the player's desire to not be constantly asked to swipe their credit card.

In other words, while there certainly have been some badly implemented systems in some games, GaaS and MTs in most games just aren't as terrible as some gamers make them out to be. People just seem to want to be outraged about one thing or another.

Some people never fail to entertain me on this site. People that dont play Xbox will say Xbox doesnt care for SP games and will think this way because MS published 1 game that is GAAS which is Sea of Thieves, a game marketing and sold as a complete MP game.

They choose to forget that they published one of the best story telling games in Ori and are publishing Ori 2. 

You are correct that its the 3rd party publisheres that are driving GAAS in the wrong direction. I am a huge WoW player for 15 years, that's a GAAS game which was awesome for so many years.

eva01beserk said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I think you mistaken a game having a single player component with a game being single player focus. Its like single player game like uncharted, it has multiplayer, but we all know thats just a little side thing and not the focus of the game. Some reviewers even skimp over that part because they know whoever is buying that game is not doing it because of the multiplayer. Thats like saying destiny/the division/anthem are single player game. 

An interview from MS, the type of games they release and they publicly confessing their games have been suffering from quality stand point isn't enough to convince them. They defend MS more than the executives of the company.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

An interview from MS, the type of games they release and they publicly confessing their games have been suffering from quality stand point isn't enough to convince them. They defend MS more than the executives of the company.

You seem pretty desperate to make this point, even interjecting it into replies that have nothing to do with it. What response are you looking for so I can give it to you and you can actually contribute to the thread in some capacity other than console warz jabs at other users?

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

You seem pretty desperate to make this point, even interjecting it into replies that have nothing to do with it. What response are you looking for so I can give it to you and you can actually contribute to the thread in some capacity other than console warz jabs at other users?

You already refused to reply on if you consider Xbox mean quality games.

And you always deflect to "others" making console wars as someone on a higher ground... but is one of the users that most goes to war.

You ignore that MS truly don't focus on SP, denying their own interviews.

You deny they had been promising more studios since the start of the gen, and just got to say they have more studios after they bought them.