By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Papa Phil: "Xbox has to mean quality games"

Tagged games:

MS has been making all the right moves the last several years. The only thing they have been really lacking is quality first party content on a consistent basis, which is a big one obviously. With the current investment of buying studios and creating news ones, this should be addressed going into next generation. Anyone that believes MS is going to pump out games for Game Pass without quality control, hasn't been paying much attention. Simply look at all the first party studios, and you will see the number of new positions opening up and new hires. Xbox team is on a mission to making their first party top notch.

Around the Network

Even Phill Spencer agrees that the first party content of Xbox have been of lower quality, but some users on VGC won't accept it.

Plus I hate GAAS, and Phill basically showed they will double down on it, and "SP games are dead"

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 29 July 2019

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

chakkra said:
JRPGfan said:

"You cant play "consumer friendly". Thats basically the short of it".

Sorry, but to me that goes A LONG way.

Companies wants your money, "consumer friendly" is just a interpretation we do on their way of doing it. If you like the service to pay the price it is friendly enough for you.

"Switch guys are happy with the games catalog they have, and the 1st party titles their getting, same with PS4 users."

And have you stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, X1 users are also happy with the catalog they have?

going by vgc they preffer x1 library that is why they have x1. what about it?

"Gamepass (good value, play A/AA games without buying them)"

Have you taken the time to look into the GamePass list? Because there are plenty, and I mean PLENTY, of AAA games in there.

"Play anywhere (ability to swap from pc to console, and have it auto-update save files ect) (doesnt work for everything right?)"

I guess not. But I wouldn't believe you for one second if you told me that you wouldn't like the ability to play God of War on your laptop when you are away at no extra cost.

I have 0 value for play anywhere and portability.

"BC (something everyone should have, but Cell -> x86, makes this basically impossible on the PS4)"

And yet PS4 and Switch don't have it, and I don't see Sony and Nintendo getting any hate for it. And No, It is not impossible to emulate PS3 games on PS4. Difficult to do it? maybe, but impossible it is not. I'm 100% sure that engineers who have access to the core hardware and OS of both consoles can figure it out if they want to. Sony didn't do it just because they did not deem the effort worth it.

PS3 had full BC for ps2 and 1, didn't brought sales and the removal of bc didn't lost sales. objectivelly doesn't matter how you feel about it.

"Also you can crap on remasters, but alot of people actually enjoy them."

I'm not crapping on remasters. I just find it curious that people are hating so much on the only company that basically offered them for free this gen while at the same time praising the companies that charged full price for straigh up ports.

remasters are more improvements than bc, also doesn't sell that much.

"Otherwise why would Switch & Playstation be selling so well instead of Xbox One?"

Sorry, are we going to switch the conversation now to "who won this generation?" Because I was just answering to the claim that "People forget that xbox basically gave up this gen, 2 years into it."

answers in bold

smroadkill15 said:
MS has been making all the right moves the last several years. The only thing they have been really lacking is quality first party content on a consistent basis, which is a big one obviously. With the current investment of buying studios and creating news ones, this should be addressed going into next generation. Anyone that believes MS is going to pump out games for Game Pass without quality control, hasn't been paying much attention. Simply look at all the first party studios, and you will see the number of new positions opening up and new hires. Xbox team is on a mission to making their first party top notch.

CD3, SoT, SoD2 doesn't really gives the idea of quality.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KiigelHeart said:
Pemalite said:

Sad but true. Halo Wars 2 was actually a ton of fun... But sadly the multiplayer population imploded a few days after release in Oceania and I haven't been able to have a match since.

Hopefully with Microsoft opening up their wallets and buying up a ton of studios we see them put their best foot forward next gen.. But I still hold some reservation.

I've seen you mention this before about Halo Wars 2 but are you sure it's region locked? I could still find matches pretty quickly couple of months ago and some were with people from US. 

Halo Wars 2 is indeed a quality game and fun RTS to play with a controller. Sales were disappointing unfortunately.

Not sure if it's region locked or not.

But even if it wasn't region locked I am only going to be playing with people in my own timezone anyway... Xbox sells best in North America where the bulk of the Xbox gaming population resides... So unless a game sells really well, multiplayer population will always be a hit or miss here.

In saying that... Halo Wars on Steam has a non-existent multiplayer population too.

Halo Wars is definitely the best console RTS game... But when compared to PC RTS games it doesn't hold up nearly as well... StarCraft, Total Annihilation, Dark Reign, Total War, Company of Heroes, Homeworld, Ashes of the Singularity, Age of Empires, Stellaris, Stronghold, Sins of a Solar Empire, WarCraft, Command and Conquer, Battlezone, Sacrifice... List goes on. - Hard to compete among those titles on PC.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 29 July 2019

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Bring the quality games and I'll buy an XBox again, simple as that. Except if I can just play the one game I'm interested in on my gaming laptop for $1 on GamePass, no need to buy an extra box. Simple. MS has saved me a lot of money this gen!

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:

The whole stuff about GamePass being an excuse to put cheap quick games up is as nonsensical and false as the narrative that MS is/has abandoned SP games. You don’t draw people to your sub service with shitty games. Furthermore these are all games that they sell at retail as well. 

SvennoJ said:
Bring the quality games and I'll buy an XBox again, simple as that. Except if I can just play the one game I'm interested in on my gaming laptop for $1 on GamePass, no need to buy an extra box. Simple. MS has saved me a lot of money this gen!

I really think MS shot themselves in the foot by putting Gamepass on PC (and also by releasing their exclusives at the same time on PC). For the life of me I do not understand what is their endgame here. Maybe there is some master plan for the long run that I'm just not seeing.

DonFerrari said:
smroadkill15 said:

CD3, SoT, SoD2 doesn't really gives the idea of quality.

That is what the whole topic is about so I'm not sure what your trying to point out. 

JRPGfan said:
chakkra said:

Sorry, are we going to switch the conversation now to "who won this generation?" Because I was just answering to the claim that "People forget that xbox basically gave up this gen, 2 years into it."

In terms of software developement (games), they clearly did cut back alot.
They didnt litteraly give up (stop competeing at all), but they stopped trying to win vs sony, early into the gen (imo thats giveing up).

I stated it was in terms of games, and funding for that area.

But... you know that to implement BC they needed to spend money, LOTS of money. Especially considering the amount of games that they enhanced on it (which is probably why Sony did not do it).

And you know that to convince more than 100 developers to put their games on Gamepass they also needed money, LOTS of money (which is probably why Sony is charging $19.99 for their own version). Especially when considering that they convinced some of those developers to put their games over there on Day one. That's not the kind of things that you can do using only words, you know?

So yeah, if you tell me you believe that they invested on the wrong things, then ok, that is an opinion I can understand. But telling me that they gave up? I would have to disagree on that one.

And I mean.. is not like Sony has been pumping out games every three months in the last couple of years, have they?

DonFerrari said:

"Companies wants your money, "consumer friendly" is just a interpretation we do on their way of doing it. If you like the service to pay the price it is friendly enough for you."

I don't know why you felt the need to make that statement, but ok. We agree.

"going by vgc they preffer x1 library that is why they have x1. what about it?"

For the life of me I do not understand this question. By any chance did you read the conversation we were having?

"I have 0 value for play anywhere and portability."

Ehh... ok.. thanks for informing me?

"PS3 had full BC for ps2 and 1, didn't brought sales and the removal of bc didn't lost sales. objectivelly doesn't matter how you feel about it."

Ehhh... we were not talking about sales. Again, did you read the conversation?

"remasters are more improvements than bc, also doesn't sell that much."

Ehhh... same answer as above.