By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Joy Con Drift Nintendo's Biggest Hardware Reliabilty Issue?

Tagged games:

NES was the most frustrating console I've ever owned. I wanted to smash it to pieces half the time. Only real problem I've ever had with a console, though I did run into the problem with my PS2 not playing the purple discs a few times.

Also, the NES had its own RRoD issue in Japan and had to be recalled prior to its release in the West.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
mZuzek said:

Also, you can't possibly know this until at least a year after release.

That internal Memo from Nintendo anyway pretty much means at most you'll have to miss out on having your joycons for around 4 days while they get repaired, if missing the ability to play the console for 4 days was such a huge issue then this person probably wouldn't be 2 and a half years into the lifespan of it without buying the thing.

4 days?  Probably more like 4 weeks.

I can also recall dead pixels on the original shipment of Nintendo DS systems. Mine had two or three, and if you bought a DS at launch, there was a good chance you would also have some dead pixels. Nintendo wasn't doing anything about it because they deemed that a few dead pixels is normal when making a screen with hundreds of thousands of them (or something to that effect).

Hardly their biggest issue. The Wii disc drives would go out all the time. Also, there was the cracked ds hinge. Then there was the NES blowing on the cartridge and host of other issues. Nintendo does have a magnificent track record, but you don’t exist as long as Nintendo has without a few blemishes.

I have owned every Nintendo console to date. Never had a major hardware issue except with the joy cons, multiple times.

Around the Network

I think with how they are handling the issues associated with the Joycon controllers, there isn't really much to get a rise over
(providing that you give them the chance to make it right).  I experienced the left joy con connection issue with my original gray, and then the drifting issue with the Japanese Splatoon 2 color set.  Both times, Nintendo customer service was super helpful and I was able to have my controllers back and working with a new warranty within 7 days.  No complaints from me.

I personally feel that the Dock scratching and "Bendgate" are basically non issues.

The original NES game cartridge pin connection issue was much more widespread hardware flaw...and yet, for the time, it was just how it was and was basically accepted.

VAMatt said:
Ganoncrotch said:

That internal Memo from Nintendo anyway pretty much means at most you'll have to miss out on having your joycons for around 4 days while they get repaired, if missing the ability to play the console for 4 days was such a huge issue then this person probably wouldn't be 2 and a half years into the lifespan of it without buying the thing.

taken from the reddit thread of someone asking the question how long does it take to get a repair done on the Switch

"

13 points · 2 years ago

for joy-con, mailed tuesday, got there wednesday, fixed and mailed out thursday, got them back friday.

level 2
7 points · 2 years ago

Lucky. My shipping has been painfully slow.

level 1
4 points · 2 years ago

Haven't had my Switch repaired, but I sent my 3DS back, and total time from the RMA being created to my 3DS arriving back at my house was six days. Central US here.

level 1
3 points · 2 years ago

3 business days. Sent two left Joy-Con one at a time. 2 day air UPS to them and next day UPS back.

level 2
2 points · 2 years ago

It bothers me how some people get 2 day shipping while I had to wait an entire week just for mine to arrive at the repair center.

level 1
2 points · 2 years ago

Sent both Joy-Cons in last Thursday, got to their shop Monday, got back to me Thursday."

One person, the OP is the one mentioning there's took a week to arrive at the repair center, which.... tbh sounds more like a mail issue that would be completely out of Nintendos hands to do anything about.

Everyone else seems to clock in somewhere around a week.

Unless you have an explanation for your post other than "what you imagine"

Heck even sending back a RRoD'd X360 didn't even take a fortnight to get back to me if I remember from either time I had to deal with it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

NightlyPoe said:
The drifting issue is nothing compared to the flawed NES front-loader design. It just didn't work all that well and those of use who grew up in the 80s know all about blowing into your cartridges and cajoling the NES to read the game by shifting it ever so slightly to the side. Only to have it turn off and start blinking if you so much as sneezed in its direction. It was a completely flawed design choice that was never going to work.

The dumb thing about it all is that the problem was only there because Nintendo had to disguise the NES as a toy to get it into market.

Lol at the shifting it slightly to the side... man it's like you were there with me when I was 10ish, having the thing open, pushed down and kinda shimmy the cartridge a bit more to one side, pushing in the right side but leaving the left to where the plastic of the NES pushed it in a little more when you pushed down the cartridge. I almost have more memories with my NES trying to get games to start than I do from actually playing any of the games. Even my memories of some of the games like Bubble, Bobble I recall times where it would be playing fine and suddenly all of the sprites would giitch out so you could still move around and play but the graphics were messed up.... but it always meant you couldn't get the password for the stage you were at because the graphics on the password screen would be fucked as well.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I have had multiple N64 and Gamecube controllers develop bad dead zones and loose sticks. Most NES systems had a flaw with the pins not lining up right, causing people to blow into their games (which does NOTHING BTW).

That being said, I have two sets of year one joycons and two pro controllers, none of which currently drift. My launch pair did it briefly, but a quick recalibration fixed the issues. Just reporting my personal experiences on the issue.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Ganoncrotch said:
VAMatt said:

taken from the reddit thread of someone asking the question how long does it take to get a repair done on the Switch

"

13 points · 2 years ago

for joy-con, mailed tuesday, got there wednesday, fixed and mailed out thursday, got them back friday.

level 2
7 points · 2 years ago

Lucky. My shipping has been painfully slow.

level 1
4 points · 2 years ago

Haven't had my Switch repaired, but I sent my 3DS back, and total time from the RMA being created to my 3DS arriving back at my house was six days. Central US here.

level 1
3 points · 2 years ago

3 business days. Sent two left Joy-Con one at a time. 2 day air UPS to them and next day UPS back.

level 2
2 points · 2 years ago

It bothers me how some people get 2 day shipping while I had to wait an entire week just for mine to arrive at the repair center.

level 1
2 points · 2 years ago

Sent both Joy-Cons in last Thursday, got to their shop Monday, got back to me Thursday."

One person, the OP is the one mentioning there's took a week to arrive at the repair center, which.... tbh sounds more like a mail issue that would be completely out of Nintendos hands to do anything about.

Everyone else seems to clock in somewhere around a week.

Unless you have an explanation for your post other than "what you imagine"

Heck even sending back a RRoD'd X360 didn't even take a fortnight to get back to me if I remember from either time I had to deal with it.

I've not had to deal with Nintendo repairs.  So, I assume these accounts are accurate.  That likely makes Nintendo the fastest major, mail-in, electronics warranty servicer in the history of mankind.