By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Revisiting Breath of the Wild

still my favorite game on the switch and favorite Zelda game. I see people are still calling thing other people like more than they did overrated(i have grown to hate the use of that term)

Around the Network
Baddman said:
still my favorite game on the switch and favorite Zelda game. I see people are still calling thing other people like more than they did overrated(i have grown to hate the use of that term)

Breath of the Wild is my favorite game, but what’s wrong with calling something overrated if you think it is undeserving of its high rating?

mZuzek said:
Shiken said:
It truly is the GotG in my eyes. Very excited for the sequel.

I couldn't call it a GotG myself.

That said, OP expressed that the music is a "flaw" in the game, and that triggers me. Instead of reading 7 long and drawn out paragraphs of me talking about BotW's music, though, I recommend you watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgev9Gzybk8

Other than that, yeah imagine playing BotW for the 100% lol. That is definitely not the way the game is meant to be enjoyed, I'm glad you have been able to enjoy it now that you're playing it the way it's supposed to be.

In the end it is just my opinion. I can recognize that the music is wonderfully composed, there is just something missing in my eyes. They could have the option of doing ambient or having overworld themes. I often see the argument that "oh, it would be annoying to hear the same theme for hours on end when you explore", but I never had that problem with Xenoblade Chronicles X (which had fantastic music). I do like the main theme of the game, and a select few tracks, but for me, it is just lacking that "Zelda magic".

Breath of the Wild was exactly what the series needed though. I'm happy as a lifelong fan of the series that it is getting the sales that the series should have always been getting. I hope the sequel can completely blow me away.

1doesnotsimply

Baddman said:

I've learned to ignore those people.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Baddman said:

Breath of the Wild is my favorite game, but what’s wrong with calling something overrated if you think it is undeserving of its high rating?

It comes off as telling people they think too highly of something that's entirely subjective. You can state you're not as big a fan of something as others without telling them they're overrating it

Around the Network

It broke the creative stagnation trend that had afflicted the main Zelda franchise since the N64.
I'd also argue that it's not only the greatest Zelda of all time -- but the greatest game of all time

If I were to take the top tier of releases in my memory: Super Mario Bros 3, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy, and Breath of the Wild. That's a very short list, and Breath of the Wild is the only one on it in recent times (I'm old by the way).

Tier 2: Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7, 8, X, Earthbound, Xenogears, GE007, Majora's Mask, Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Rune Factory Frontier, Dragon Quest 5 and 9, Super Mario Kart Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Phoenix Wright trilogy, Civilization 2, Crusader Kings 2, SimCity 2000, Dwarf Fortress, StarCraft, Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Monster Hunter 3, Fire Emblem Blazing Blade. If it's not clear my favourite consoles of all time are SNES, Wii, and PSX; but probably Switch now too.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 18 July 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I've had it on my switch for some time, but still haven't even given it a try yet. I can already tell I'll probably be disappointed, since it's been so hyped up my expectations are really high. Same thing happened with OoT, was incredibly hyped, then I played it and didn't enjoy it at all.

think-man said:
I've had it on my switch for some time, but still haven't even given it a try yet. I can already tell I'll probably be disappointed, since it's been so hyped up my expectations are really high. Same thing happened with OoT, was incredibly hyped, then I played it and didn't enjoy it at all.

Just give it a try. Don't think about the hype. Focus on the story and whatever goals you want to accomplish. You'll likely end up making your own fun and exploring at your own leisure. The game will do the rest.

think-man said:

Ocarina of Time was phenomenal for its time, but admittedly it does not hold up well today now that we can recognize all of its flaws due to their repetition through future Zelda games: my biggest pet peeve with it are the number of "needle in a haystack" puzzles where you're let loose into a gigantic dungeon and there's a key or switch in one of the 12-40 rooms that you have to find, and often it's well hidden, so you might pass it and not realize it for hours later. The reason the Forest Temple is so well regarded is that it's WAY shorter than the other dungeons; which gets me to my next pet peeve, the pacing.

Luckily, the pacing in Breath of the Wild feels more like Link to the Past than Ocarina of Time; like the dungeons in LTTP the BotW Shrines take about 8-30 minutes, instead of the several hours some of the dungeons in 3D Zeldas take. On top of that, Breath of the Wild is open world, stuff is optional; it is not a requirement to finish the game: you can do everything, you certainly don't have to. There is only a very short critical path in Breath of the Wild, it's more like a "Do X amount of stuff in this world in order to become powerful enough to finish the end" rather than "Do A, B, C, D, E, F... ...Mm, Mn, Mo, Mp, and in roughly that order in order to finish." As well, the openness of Breath of the Wild allows for a ton of emergent gameplay that previous Zelda games didn't have. You're going to have different experiences from most people playing this game and a lot of it has to do with what road you decide to go down once leaving the plateau.

But rather than me trying to tell you that it's good, why not just pick it up and play for yourself, make your own decision. Basically, I could tell you about my experience with the game, but (especially with this one) yours is going to be different.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

one major concern I would have is that you say you done 100% of the game, could I ask, did you do that all yourself with exploration and discovery... or did you play along using a guide to locate the shrines and all of the Korok seeds?

I didn't touch a guide until I had all 120 Shrines in the bag and each of the Korok seeds required for me to max out inventory but I felt it was amazing to discover each aspect for myself... I think if you were to get all 900 (?) of the seeds you would likely have consulted a guide to playing it. Could be wrong of course but I really would see a guide taking a ton away from a game which by design doesn't have tutorials and doesn't guide the player towards anything other than.... STOP GANON.

I'm replaying through master mode myself right now and I'm just after nailing enough heart containers to retrieve the Master Sword and have full Stamina Wheels, still... got to say this game is the best I've ever played of 30 years and thousands of titles played.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive