By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Revisiting Breath of the Wild

Jumpin said:

Apples and Oranges are both fruit, that doesn't mean they should be compared the same way. What you are presenting here is typically called the "No True Scotsman" fallacy; that is, you're not assessing Breath of the Wild for its own merits, but rather criticizing it for its differences from older Zelda games - even if by its own merits it is a far greater game.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate BotW as its own thing, and for the innovations it brought to the series. However, whenever I come across a disappointing aspect, i'm reminded that it's been done better in the past. It's hard to shake that feeling when BotW happens to be a game in a long-running franchise, as opposed to a new IP. Is it true that many of the flaws I find in the game are shaped because of my experiences with previous Zelda games? Absolutely. But I don't think that should make my opinion wrong or invalid. Even if I judged the game purely by its merits, there are still noticeable flaws (voice acting, lack of diversity in shrine and dungeon aesthetics, disappointing bosses, no way to repair broken weapons/shields, etc). 

I'm not trying to put the game down, because it doesn't deserve it. I already said that BotW is a fantastic game. This is just one guy's opinion.