By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Revealed - $199, September 20th, Dedicated Handheld

My main concern was how would they market a potential Switch Lite.
From what I have seen so far, it appears appropriate enough to distinguish that the Lite is mainly for children/families going for a cheaper option than that of the OG Switch. I kinda expected the removal of certain features like HD rumble, no Labo, no dock, etc. It would be a challenge in maintaining all those features without the joy cons being central to the Lite.
It appears that they also will add info on certain games like Mario Odyssey that it may be hard to complete with the Switch Lite. For those unaware, Mario Odyssey utilizes motion controls when trying to do unique tricks in throwing Cappy (though it can also be done with the sticks, just a little harder) along with certain puzzles and uses HD rumble to find certain Moons.
So the Lite isn't for everyone and it may not play all of the games on Switch, but it appears to be a great option if you are looking for a cheaper option and are not too bothered with some of the OG Switch features missing.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
potato_hamster said:

A knife is a tool. It's made for cutting things. Anything can become a weapon depending on how it's used. A Motorcycle Helmet that was purpose built to save someone's life can also be used to bludgeon someone to death. In that sense, why does the designed intent matter? That motorcycle helmet was still used as a weapon, even if the creator never intended it to be used that way, or thought of it being used that way while creating it.

So no, I don't necessarily think it's created intent matters that much.

So if the intent behind creation isn't relevant then is something defined by what it is used for?

If yes then the Switch is clearly used both as a handheld and a home console, thus it can be defined as both.

If the answer is no, then I would be very interested to know how you define something if it is not defined by the reason it was created or what it is used for.

On both counts the Switch is both, it was created to be both and it is used as both.

How do you know the Switch was created to be a home console? How do you know they didn't create the Switch as a portable console with detachable controllers that could be used in a table top mode and some engineer didn't pipe in and say "you know, this thing uses USB-C. We should be able to have this output to a television pretty easily. In fact, since it's plugged into a wall while docked, we can overclock this a little bit and output at 1080p" and thus a very cheap dock was created, and packaged with every Switch sold. For all we know that dock and that TV mode is literally an afterthought. And I really don't want to get into a case of "whataboutisms", I'm just pointing out you can't actually know what the Switch was intended to be simply because the final product can be used that way.

There's certainly nothing about the internals of the Switch that indicate its a hybrid console, much less in the design itself. Almost every single design decision favors playing it in portable mode, whether it be a touch screen that can only be used in portable mode, the size of the joy cons being way too small to use comfortably by themselves, the fact that the joy cons that cannot be charged while using the Switch while docked to the tv out of the box, or the fact that my switch has literally warned me of overheating and even shut off after playing BOTW while docked for over 2 hours to name a few. What design decisions favor TV mode? They had to install a slightly bigger fan and add a bigger heat sink that slightly impacted battery life to support a high performance mode to output in 1080p. That's it. It's very very clear the Switch designed to be a portable first and foremost, and if that isn't clear to you look at how little had to be changed in order to make a Switch portable only. Now think about how much would have to be changed in a switch to make it home console only. It's dramatically different.

The Switch is a portable at heart. Always has been. They've included some accessories in the box that made it really easy to hook up to a TV and that was enough for you to call it a hybrid. And that's great for you. I just don't buy it. No one at the time would say the Sega Nomad was a hybrid console, and I don't see any reason to start, but you might need to.

Conina said:
Bandorr said:
"I have a great idea for an item. It switches between being docked and handheld.
Sounds good what will we call it?
How about the switch since it can be one thing then another?
Brilliant!!"

"I have an idea for an item. It will be portable only.
So it can't be docked? Or connected to the TV at all?
No
Great what do we call it?
Switch lite!"

Definitely feels like Nintendo didn't think this through. The whole console is named on a concept that the "lesser" one can't do.

People need to learn the difference between a brand name and a functional description.

Not all "PlayStations" are stationary (PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita). MicroSoft ain't micro anymore, it is pretty big. Apple has nothing to do with the fruits on a tree.

Game. Set. And Match!!

Really..... there’s people to this day that don’t accept switch as a hybrid? Really? This discussion all over again? Move on, we are half way through 2019. Learn to deal with it.

I believe there was a thread about a whole “nintendo switch family system” somewhere, and I believe the user said a switch lite was coming this year at $199. Spot on!

I believe the announcement could have waited a littler longer, but good news anyways.

Curious move in that I expected a lite version to still retain video output even though it wouldn't come with a dock although this will serve as the lower price option the holiday blitz and it was far more likely than the pro version some were predicting I doubt we'll see a price cut now and this all but confirms 3DS has been put to rest.

Around the Network

From Nintendo

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Cool for those who want a handheld only. If this could be played on tv I'd get it for my daughter. Think I'll wait for a premium model.

This also is an indicator on why September is a crazily packed month for Switch releases.
For those awaiting the Lite model, there are plenty of old and newly released games to choose from at retail.

September has Link's Awakening Remake (releasing on the same day as the Lite), Ni No Kuni (also releasing along with the Lite), Daemon x Machina, Contra: Rogue Corps, Dragon Quest XI S, Spyro: Reignited Trilogy, and Dead by Daylight. Not to mention Astral Chain would have just came out on August 30.

Portable-only is a big no from me but nice for those interested. Sales in Japan will explode.
Also, I wonder if the current Switch will see a price cut.

chapset said:

From Nintendo

I kept reading it as twitch haha