By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Halo Infinite drop Xbox One and go Scarlet exclusive?

Tagged games:

Should it?

Yes, dump Xbone, next gen exclusive 35 42.68%

No, keep it cross gen with Xbone 47 57.32%

Total:82

In terms of technical and game development side they better focusing on one console and optimize it for one console (Scarlet) so it will be a technical demo on how powerful Scarlet is and can be a selling point. In terms of economy and business side they have to release to both generation to achieve targeted sales and revenue.

Microsoft has recently changing their focus from selling Xbox console device focus to selling more games and service to other device , thus they has changed from devout to being agnostic. On next gen. Microsoft will focusing on Xbox as family not just a single platform.

Xbox has changed from a console to a platform and brand thus they want to avoid being "exclusive " to single device and trying to reach more market using other non traditional method A.K.A Console PC and streaming. They are slowly but sure trying to migrate to streaming and PC.

The reason why Xbox Scarlet were having three SKUs planned , one is Anaconda, the second one is Lockherath and the third rumored ones is streaming device , it's just shows Microsoft is trying to make Xbox to be more like PC and Steam machines and reaching consumer outside of dedicated hardcore gamer.

So if we speak in 2013 with console focus mentality, Halo Infinite probably will be ended up as Scarlet exclusive but now we are talking with Xbox division sirca Phil Spencer where revenue and sales of games is more important than selling one single console device. So they will not care if Halo will be holding back by Xbox One graphic capability.

Around the Network

Am I the only one who got dissapointed at the graphics? Even 360/PS3 era games looked slightly better. When i was watching the teaser, and the video started, i tought it was like an ad for a cheap android game, until MC appeared on screen...

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Knitemare said:
Am I the only one who got dissapointed at the graphics? Even 360/PS3 era games looked slightly better. When i was watching the teaser, and the video started, i tought it was like an ad for a cheap android game, until MC appeared on screen...

Probably you are not alone. But for me i am okay with graphic is not mind blowing at all, and for sure it's far better than PS3/Xbox 360. But it's far from next gen graphic we are hoping for. That's because they using Xbox One as baseline hardware. There will be no fancy realistic graphic with this games, the Scarlet version will just ended up having the same look but with 4k and 60 fps capability (just like Xbox One X running every Xbox One games with better resolution and faster frame rates ).  

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

There is never certainty a game will be great.

But having more available to make it should increase the possibility of it happening.

I understand it have been in development for a long time and that you want it as launch title, and that it have used X1 for development so it wouldn't have much improvement just by shifting solely to Scarlett. But I was just arguing my preference.

TLOU2, GoT, Death Stranding will launch on PS4 and certainly have crossgen launch. But I would also say go ahead and make it exclusive to PS5 with increased scope.

But what exactly is "increased scope"?

That doesent doesent mean anything. I mean Halo 5 could have been been more ambitious on the same specs it was built for.

X1 and PS4 are very capable machines, developers can create very ambitious and large scale games on them. I never played a game on these consoles and thought the game design suffered just because technical limitations.

If the goal in Halo Infinite is creating large maps with lots of AI enemies, vehicles, etc. They can do that on a base X1. Even the OG Xbox did that with Halo 1 and 2.

Was Halo 5 beyond the scope of OG Xbox? I would argue no.

You know you are wrong.

If PS4 and X1 weren't a limit to game design then there would be no point in PS5 and XB4 plus any other system that comes after. The fact that you don't see a limitation or how they could increase scope or make a game impossible before doesn't mean it is reality.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Yeah... yeah... no digital PC game store is taken seriously compared to Steam. Yet others continue to exist. Blah... blah...

I dont need a history lesson on GFW, I agree it was half assed effort. The Windows Store has been much better in virtually every way.

And yet the Windows store is absolutely terrible and tends to omit basic features that the PC gaming community needs and desires... In-fact it does a few things even worst than Games for Windows Live!
Windows store games tend to run in exclusive mode for instance, no mod support, no multi-gpu support... And tends to have non-existent multiplayer populations for AAA games.

Is the Windows Store better than Games for Windows Live? Yes. Does that make it good? Hell no.
Replying with "Blah Blah" does tell me you aren't really interested in having this conversation though, so why bother?

Mr Puggsly said:

For PvP content, I'm not even sure adding games to Steam is guaranteed to bring significant MP numbers. Maybe for Halo:MCC atleast. Do PC users care about Gears MP, not a guarantee.

Of course PC gamers care about Multiplayer, the biggest games on the PC are multi-player titles.
ElDewrito showcased the demand of Halo's multiplayer component as well on PC.

Mr Puggsly said:

However, there are crossplay experiences that are fine between Xbox and PC. Like Sea of Theives, Forza, Killer Instinct, etc. Gears 4 for example atleast allows players to play co-op stuff like horde mode.

Of course.

Mr Puggsly said:

Halo Wars 1 did well on Steam I believe. As did State of Decay 1. Maybe the sequels are being used to attract users but could come to Steam eventually.

Halo Wars 1 did really well. It boggles the mind why Microsoft would not bother bringing Halo Wars 2 to Steam.
Microsoft for what feels like over a decade has said it will "do better" and "recommit" to PC gamers and yet still pulls stunts like that.

Mr Puggsly said:

Fable 3 doesent need more keys. It needs to have the GFW content removed and no reliance on keys. But I imagine MS has bigger plans than that down the road.

Microsoft needs more keys for Fable 3 on Steam so they can sell more copies on Steam. They ran out of keys.

I have a copy, but there are plenty of people wanting to pick up a copy... And Microsoft is missing out on sales because of it.

Mr Puggsly said:

Even MS said no split screen in Halo 5 was bad move. I'm still hoping they add split screen to that game via Scarlett.

I agree. Feature parity should be the minimum, but if Microsoft wants to best Halo 3, it needs to throw everything at it.
But keen for split-screen again... I only own a single Xbox One controller for that very reason.

I'm not interested in talking GFW, we know it was a bad effort. Also, the Windows Store being taken less seriously than Steam isnt relevant. The idea is growing an audience and Im sure thats happening with each notable release. I'm just not interested in the talking points youre pushing on that stuff. Its not gonna be Steam but it can have an audience.

I'm saying not every game on Steam gets a big PvP audience. Popular console MP games arent necessarily the same ones on PC. I think Halo MP will do really well on Steam, but I dont feel the same for Gears MP.

Commiting to PC gamers doesent mean putting everything on Steam. I've played Halo Wars 2 on PC, it works fine on the Windows Store. Game Pass is an awesome deal for PC gamers as well, espeically if you just want to use the store for exclusives.

Let me clarify in regard to Fable 3. If they really care to make money, they need to get rid of its GFW DRM. Also get rid of any need of CD Keys. Several games on Steam have done this. I think we will see a Fable 3 remaster before they attempt to sell the Steam/GFW version.

MS has shown no interest really in its legacy PC content. They should use that to attract people to Windows Store if anything.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But what exactly is "increased scope"?

That doesent doesent mean anything. I mean Halo 5 could have been been more ambitious on the same specs it was built for.

X1 and PS4 are very capable machines, developers can create very ambitious and large scale games on them. I never played a game on these consoles and thought the game design suffered just because technical limitations.

If the goal in Halo Infinite is creating large maps with lots of AI enemies, vehicles, etc. They can do that on a base X1. Even the OG Xbox did that with Halo 1 and 2.

Was Halo 5 beyond the scope of OG Xbox? I would argue no.

You know you are wrong.

If PS4 and X1 weren't a limit to game design then there would be no point in PS5 and XB4 plus any other system that comes after. The fact that you don't see a limitation or how they could increase scope or make a game impossible before doesn't mean it is reality.

Many games this gen didnt really need the power of 8th gen consoles per se. Most of the power just goes into better graphics. However, the biggest limiting factor in large scale games was probably RAM. During the 7th RAM requirements in PC games grew significantly. Muliples times the RAM found in 7th gen consoles.

In the 8th gen however, RAM requirements kinda stayed the same. 8GB was fairly common when the 8th gen started and 8GB is still plenty for most games. VRAM has become important primarily for textures.

Look at Switch, in practice much of its content looks like 7th gen games. Yet its doing fine running Witcher 3 and I credit that to Switch having plenty of RAM compared to 7th gen consoles. I get the impression bringing Witcher 3 to Switch was easier than Witcher 2 to 360. The advent of dynamic resolution also helps Im sure for performance.

Increased specs can certainly allow for games of greater scope or whatever. Im arguing much of that power simply goes to presentation in many cases. I've looked at many games this gen and thought, "did we really need new consoles for this?"

I believe we feel that to a greater extent in the 9th gen. Its gonna be like the 8th gen but even prettier. Dont expect the scope of games to change too much. Also, it takes a lot of power just to achieve 60 fps with 4K.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

I'm not interested in talking GFW, we know it was a bad effort. Also, the Windows Store being taken less seriously than Steam isnt relevant. The idea is growing an audience and Im sure thats happening with each notable release. I'm just not interested in the talking points youre pushing on that stuff. Its not gonna be Steam but it can have an audience.

And yet... You seemed to be talking about them.

Mr Puggsly said:

I'm saying not every game on Steam gets a big PvP audience. Popular console MP games arent necessarily the same ones on PC. I think Halo MP will do really well on Steam, but I dont feel the same for Gears MP.

Gears Multiplayer would do well on PC if Microsoft actually released the game to the appropriate audience where PC gamers actually buy games.

Halo Multiplayer has already proven to be a big hit with Eldorato. - I expect good things with the Master Chief Collection to be honest, they have the foundations for something fantastic.

Mr Puggsly said:

Commiting to PC gamers doesent mean putting everything on Steam. I've played Halo Wars 2 on PC, it works fine on the Windows Store. Game Pass is an awesome deal for PC gamers as well, espeically if you just want to use the store for exclusives.

That is fine, that means I don't commit my wallet to Microsoft's games and they can have my criticism instead. - It's also free!

Halo Wars 2 needs a Steam release, mostly for the population boost, the game didn't sell well even on release so it never had a great population even on console... That is one bonus of Steam titles, more multiplayer bang for your buck potentially thanks to the larger audience.

Mr Puggsly said:

Let me clarify in regard to Fable 3. If they really care to make money, they need to get rid of its GFW DRM. Also get rid of any need of CD Keys. Several games on Steam have done this. I think we will see a Fable 3 remaster before they attempt to sell the Steam/GFW version.

No. Let me clarify, it's not hard to give Steam more keys to sell more copies, it would take a few minutes for Microsoft to generation more, there are games still being sold on Steam which is still tied to games for windows live and they are fine.

A remastered version of Fable 3 would be awesome, hopefully they fix some of it's larger story-based issues to boot. (I.E. The time skip.)
But I think we are more likely to get a Fable 4 before that happens.

Knitemare said:

They are taking the art style back to Halo: Combat Evolved, so it's got a very clinically clean look, which isn't actually a bad thing... It's certainly going to be less dark and gritty than what we saw with Halo 4 and 5.

Visually the rendering pipeline is pretty damn impressive from the trailers presented, but we don't know what hardware is being used to run it yet.

Only one thing that irked me was some of the Depth-Of-Field transitions and some 2D sprites stuck out, but that are small technical niggles really, I would assume the full release would have that ironed out... Or you just play it on PC.

Mr Puggsly said:

Look at Switch, in practice much of its content looks like 7th gen games. Yet its doing fine running Witcher 3 and I credit that to Switch having plenty of RAM compared to 7th gen consoles. I get the impression bringing Witcher 3 to Switch was easier than Witcher 2 to 360. The advent of dynamic resolution also helps Im sure for performance.

It helps that the Switch actually has modern hardware from a technical perspective, more modern than the base Playstation 4/Xbox One in many aspects.

Mr Puggsly said:

Many games this gen didnt really need the power of 8th gen consoles per se. Most of the power just goes into better graphics. However, the biggest limiting factor in large scale games was probably RAM. During the 7th RAM requirements in PC games grew significantly. Muliples times the RAM found in 7th gen consoles.

Last gen baked lighting and shadowing details into the textures is what allowed games to look more impressive than they really did, towards the end of the 7th gen games started to regress in visuals as details started be rendered in real time... But it also meant that as those details were real-time on 8th gen the jump seemed less impressive on a comparative basis. - But the jump was actually huge.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Yes I think so. The core game design will be seriously limited by going cross platform. I understand that Xbox One owners will want to play the new Halo and not everybody will want to buy the new Xbox at launch and wait for a price drop. But imo it's then better to wait a bit and play a game that is build from the ground up and optimized for the new hardware, instead of the playing the exact same game at 4k at 60fps.

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

And yet... You seemed to be talking about them.

Mr Puggsly said:

Gears Multiplayer would do well on PC if Microsoft actually released the game to the appropriate audience where PC gamers actually buy games.

Halo Multiplayer has already proven to be a big hit with Eldorato. - I expect good things with the Master Chief Collection to be honest, they have the foundations for something fantastic.

Mr Puggsly said:

That is fine, that means I don't commit my wallet to Microsoft's games and they can have my criticism instead. - It's also free!

Halo Wars 2 needs a Steam release, mostly for the population boost, the game didn't sell well even on release so it never had a great population even on console... That is one bonus of Steam titles, more multiplayer bang for your buck potentially thanks to the larger audience.

Mr Puggsly said:

No. Let me clarify, it's not hard to give Steam more keys to sell more copies, it would take a few minutes for Microsoft to generation more, there are games still being sold on Steam which is still tied to games for windows live and they are fine.

A remastered version of Fable 3 would be awesome, hopefully they fix some of it's larger story-based issues to boot. (I.E. The time skip.)
But I think we are more likely to get a Fable 4 before that happens.

Knitemare said:

They are taking the art style back to Halo: Combat Evolved, so it's got a very clinically clean look, which isn't actually a bad thing... It's certainly going to be less dark and gritty than what we saw with Halo 4 and 5.

Visually the rendering pipeline is pretty damn impressive from the trailers presented, but we don't know what hardware is being used to run it yet.

Only one thing that irked me was some of the Depth-Of-Field transitions and some 2D sprites stuck out, but that are small technical niggles really, I would assume the full release would have that ironed out... Or you just play it on PC.

Mr Puggsly said:

It helps that the Switch actually has modern hardware from a technical perspective, more modern than the base Playstation 4/Xbox One in many aspects.

Mr Puggsly said:

Last gen baked lighting and shadowing details into the textures is what allowed games to look more impressive than they really did, towards the end of the 7th gen games started to regress in visuals as details started be rendered in real time... But it also meant that as those details were real-time on 8th gen the jump seemed less impressive on a comparative basis. - But the jump was actually huge.

If talking about them is dismissing them in a few sentences, then yeah...

Windows Store isn't JUST about selling as many games as possible. They also want their own store to thrive and that means not everything can come to Steam, at least not immediately and some simply never will. If you don't like then go use the Epic store.

No, let me clarify. MS doesn't want to make Fable 3 keys so get over it. Go play Witcher.

I'm sure there are other reasons why Witcher 3 works on Switch, but not having to struggle with RAM is huge. The developers were able to overcome limited CPU and GPU, but I think Switch having just enough RAM is what really makes some of these ports feasible or it would just be too much work.

I'm simply saying the added power of new consoles, primarily on the GPU, primarily goes to graphics over increasing the potential or scope of most games. I'm suggesting game design potential is still pretty great on limited specs like 8th gen consoles, while new specs is more about visual polish. It gets back to topic of this thread. People feel Halo Infinite has limited potential because its being built for X1, I feel the potential is more dependent on how the game is designed. For example, Halo 5 was a more linear experience because that's how it was designed. Not due to limitations of the hardware.

Recently Completed

HollyGamer said:
Knitemare said:

Probably you are not alone. But for me i am okay with graphic is not mind blowing at all, and for sure it's far better than PS3/Xbox 360. But it's far from next gen graphic we are hoping for. That's because they using Xbox One as baseline hardware. There will be no fancy realistic graphic with this games, the Scarlet version will just ended up having the same look but with 4k and 60 fps capability (just like Xbox One X running every Xbox One games with better resolution and faster frame rates ).  

Yes, thats what I meant, resolution and cleanliness in graphics are good, but the realism is a little bit too low to be a yet to publish game... Truth is I played halo 1 story for the first time like 5 years ago, and even tho at that time it was already outdated graphically, i really enjoyed it. Problem is that last 2 games had a very lackluster story, so graphics wouls have been the only thing to push me to buy it. Even tho i dont think i will get Scarlett any time soon (ps5 comes first), i would like to see the game being developed with next gen graphics on mind, not being held back by Xb1

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.