By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is focusing on Hard-Core Gamers for PS5

twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

Early indirect subliminal next gen marketing? Get it in gamers heads that if you want to be considered hardcore, the PS5 is the console to choose?

A business publication is being used for marketing gamers?

It's being talked about here isn't it?

Around the Network
method114 said:
PotentHerbs said:
Sounds like timed/exclusive content to me. No big deal. SIE is already vastly superior to MS first party and may surpass Nintendo's first party next generation.

IMO it's already surpassed Nintendo first party. I like Nintendo's exclusives but they don't deliver rich story telling the way Sony does and that's what I prefer.

I meant to say Sony may pass Nintendo first party commercially. 

But yeah I agree, SIE has taken story telling to another level this generation, with TLOU:PT.II yet to come!

Pemalite said:

Once you hit 1GB of used capacity on each chip, then you can only start filling up the 2GB chips...

And this is when you switch from clamshell mode to non-clamshell mode on the 2GByte chips on both channels, putting the 1GByte chips onto high impedance.

As you say, it is really very complicated implementing such shenanigans and I doubt they are going to implement this. 

I see either 16Gbyte on a 256bit bus or 24Gbyte on a 384bit bus, leaning towards the 16GByte solution which is obviously much cheaper. Also with the "superfast ssd" solution combined with improved memory compression technology leads me to think 16GByte will be enough memory for a console.

drkohler said:
Pemalite said:

Once you hit 1GB of used capacity on each chip, then you can only start filling up the 2GB chips...

And this is when you switch from clamshell mode to non-clamshell mode on the 2GByte chips on both channels, putting the 1GByte chips onto high impedance.

As you say, it is really very complicated implementing such shenanigans and I doubt they are going to implement this. 

I see either 16Gbyte on a 256bit bus or 24Gbyte on a 384bit bus, leaning towards the 16GByte solution which is obviously much cheaper. Also with the "superfast ssd" solution combined with improved memory compression technology leads me to think 16GByte will be enough memory for a console.

Microsoft's E3 trailer shows us that Scarlett is possibly using a mix of 1GB and 2GB chips.
Digital Foundry mentions it here even: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-project-scarlett-spec-analysis

Whether they employ a 256bit or 384bit bus remains to be seen... And again, I am not asserting anything as fact, just hypothesizing on possibilities.

As for the SSD... That isn't a replacement for Ram.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

PotentHerbs said:
method114 said:

IMO it's already surpassed Nintendo first party. I like Nintendo's exclusives but they don't deliver rich story telling the way Sony does and that's what I prefer.

I meant to say Sony may pass Nintendo first party commercially. 

But yeah I agree, SIE has taken story telling to another level this generation, with TLOU:PT.II yet to come!

Ah ok. Yea Sony is on another level this gen. In the middle of god of war and I swear one part almost made my eyes water I couldn't believe it. I'm glad Sony (and Nintendo) are still providing quality single player experiences. For a while there it seemed like that sort of gaming experience might be pushed into more of a niche type product.

Around the Network

It worked with PS4...

I believe Sony will sell the PS5 with loss, at minimum a 100 bucks loss. It will take at least 2 years after PS5 launch for it to have a production cost lower than the sell price.

If its true there is no way Sony will sell it at under 500 bucks without having a lost in its first years.

CuCabeludo said:

I believe Sony will sell the PS5 with loss, at minimum a 100 bucks loss. It will take at least 2 years after PS5 launch for it to have a production cost lower than the sell price.

That was the standard.

PS4 was the first time they were able to break even at launch with only a game plus PS+ subs. And in like 1 year were already breaking even on the HW alone.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
CuCabeludo said:

That was the standard.

PS4 was the first time they were able to break even at launch with only a game plus PS+ subs. And in like 1 year were already breaking even on the HW alone.

No doubt that, both sony and ms will take losses with their next consoles for at least 2 years. MS can take such losses easily, but for Sony which depends a lot on their gaming department, it will be a heavier task.