By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS reveal of ballpark of Scarlett

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-officially-reveals-xbox-project-scarlett/1100-6467507/

Lots of details about Scarlett still remain unclear: We didn't see what the system looks like or find out how much it will cost, among many other things. Instead, Microsoft talked up Scarlett's incredible specs and hardware capabilities, and it sounds like a big step up from the current Xbox One systems. The company says it's four times as powerful as the Xbox One X as a point of reference. Scarlett comes equipped with an SSD and components capable of 8K resolution and 120 FPS. Load times should be much faster, on top of the myriad other improvements made possible by this next-gen hardware.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2019-new-xbox-scarlett-technical-details-8k-120/1100-6467526/

Scarlett has a custom-designed Zen 2 processor from AMD, and it will feature an SSD that will reportedly help to dramatically improve load times and also function as virtual RAM. The system boasts high-bandwidth GDDR6 memory, and overall it is said to be four times as powerful as the Xbox One X, the most powerful console on the market today. It also does have a disc drive

So we have that Scarlet (probably Anaconda version) to be 4x more powerful than X1X, but for some reason a lot of people in VGC say it is impossible PS5 would be 2x more powerful than X1X. Seems like may are in for a surprise.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
DonFerrari said:

So we have that Scarlet (probably Anaconda version) to be 4x more powerful than X1X, but for some reason a lot of people in VGC say it is impossible PS5 would be 2x more powerful than X1X. Seems like may are in for a surprise.

Who said it would be impossible for PS5 to be 2x more "powerful" than X1X?I think there's confusion in what was being referred to. Many people don't seem to understand that TFLOPS are not the be all and end all of performance calculation. So some people might be saying 12 TFLOPS are not possible in a console GPU in 2020. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but that might be what they're trying to communicate but not understanding that a 12 TFLOPS GPU can be more than 2x more powerful than the X1X's GPU by being more efficient in some ways. It could event be less than 2x more powerful if something has gone horribly wrong with the design. lol

Even with Scarlet, saying it's 4x more "powerful" than X1X doesn't say much. 4x more powerful in what way? It's not suddenly going to be a 24 TFLOP GPU. It could be 4x more powerful at certain workloads. They could be talking about the CPU which wouldn't be hard to achieve going from 8 core Jaguar to 8 core Zen 2.

All in all, the ratio specs MS listed off in their promo video mean little. And did anyone else notice the flub about "the SSD working with the Solid State Disk drive" from the one guy? That was cringey. 

The SSD part on both consoles is something that a lot of people are curious on what will be the implementation.

Unless MS is doing some spin, when saying the system is 4x more capable it is the whole system, not a specific implementation. And if it was regarding CPU that would be a very bad "lie".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CPU jump is around 4X, there you are.

trasharmdsister12 said:

And did anyone else notice the flub about "the SSD working with the Solid State Disk drive" from the one guy? That was cringey. 

that really was something......................lol

4 times as powerful was in reference to the CPU, I believe.

Around the Network

I think both consoles are going to be very similar spec wise.

Who are these "lots" of people talking about PS5 not possibly being twice as powerful? Thread link please?

I want to ask you, Puggsly sensei.

I believe the "4x" quote is refering to the whole machine, like if you consider the faster ram, beefier cpu and gpu + the ssd you would, in the best case, get 4x the performance of the x, but i doubt the gpu is 4x stronger because this would mean that the gpu on scarlet is actualy 24TFlops and for reference the rtx2080ti has "only" 13.45 TFlops in FP32.

DonFerrari said:

Nothing. Absolutely, positively, nothing, nothing we have not heard before.

Thank you for opening another thread which contains absolutely no information whatsoever (can I have my 10 minutes back?)

Neither the text in the link, nor the video in the link, has any information, whatsoever, in it. Everything has already been said in all the other threads.

I can understand that people are somewhat irritated that after weeks of hearing "MS goes all-in this E3", "Anaconda is 78TFlops", etc, what they got was a slideshow of (mostly multiplatform) cgi videos (and basically a "We got the same the PS5 apparently has"), and as with the PS5 "reveal", nothing specific (as was perfectly obvious right from the start).

But seriously. do we really need all these threads and posts with fictious specs? I know if people post any specs thinkable (and, mostly, unthinkable), eventually someone will get it right.