By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: BotW Sequel is "Majora's Mask" revisited?

FarleyMcFirefly said:
It's the Gerudo symbol. 99.99% chance it's Ganondorf. Looks nothing like Majora.

Seems like a darker toned sequel, in that way it is like Majora's Mask.

That is a very astute observation and I am inclined to agree that this is the most likely of all possibilities.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

According to an article on IGN, Aunoma states," The new Breath of the Wild or the sequel to it, it's not necesarily going to be related to Majora's Mask or inspired by it...What we showed you currently is a little darker."

majora's mask was one of the first games I got into as a kid and breath of the wild looked great, I might get a switch for this if its a sequel

Aonuma can say whatever he wants about Majora's Mask not being an inspiration or even a factor that's playing into this game's development, I'm not buying it one single bit. It's painfully obvious that the strategy and thought process behind developing this game is extremely similar to the strategy and thought process behind Majora's Mask: A darker, edgier sequel which takes place immediately after its predecessor that reuses the assets and engine already built and aims to perfect them while doing something on its own to stand out as an amazing game in its own right. It's almost 1:1, the development and foundation behind Majora's Mask. But hey, not that I'm complaining. Majora's Mask is the best classic-styled 3D Zelda game, in my view. So taking notes and drawings from its development is already a big plus for me!

super_etecoon said:
According to an article on IGN, Aunoma states," The new Breath of the Wild or the sequel to it, it's not necesarily going to be related to Majora's Mask or inspired by it...What we showed you currently is a little darker."

When I refer to MM, I am speaking as to how they got it out so soon.  Reused assets such as character models and engine, and all that jaz.  It has nothing to do with the theme or plot what so ever.  That is not to say it cannot go that route (personally I am leaning no, as I believe the corpse is most likely Ganondorf), but that is a different topic.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I definitely agree when speaking about this sequel being cut from the same cloth development wise as MM. This thread originally began as a "proof" that it was a MM sequel. My quote fron Aunoma was just adding to the growing support that it isn't a Majora's Mask sequel. It definitely uses the same assets and engine and will release soon, so in that respect I understand the comparisson. And definitely way darker.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but Eiji Aonuma has already confirmed that this game has no connection to MM.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/11/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-sequel-is-not-related-to-majoras-mask

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

That artifact that you referred to is actually the Gerudo symbol. It has nothing to do with Majora's Mask.

I hope not, let it be its own animal geez

Zarkho said:
S.Peelman said:

I think I hear distorted pieces of Ganondorf’s organ theme from OoT’s ascend towards his throne room in his castle as well near the end.

Yep, I thought that too. It's even more obvious when you listen to the audio of the trailer backwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln5SOiyEn7w.

That music in reverse sounds like the great fairy theme to me... could that be the hand of the great fairy reaching out to him... did anyone check ganon's body to see if he had a bottled fairy? come on guys you need to loot the bodies properly!

Also the body is wearing Calamity Ganon's headpiece from the end of Breath of the Wild

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive