By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: BotW Sequel is "Majora's Mask" revisited?

Fallawful said:
I see what you are saying but, I mean, the trailer is like half minute long. Let's wait and see on the specifics. The only thing I could possibly agree at the moment is that it will likely parallel what Majora's Mask was for Ocarina of Time - a darker, smaller, more story-driven sequel to the first game.

and hot damn this is exactly what I wanted

Majora's Mask was not more story-driven than Ocarina of Time.

Ocarina of Time was all about the story. Majora's Mask was all about the people and side quests. Story of Majora's Mask was just stop the moon. End Story.

If anything BotW is more like Majora's Mask in terms of story. You get the main story in the first like 20 minutes of the game and that's it. 

Around the Network
Fallawful said:
I see what you are saying but, I mean, the trailer is like half minute long. Let's wait and see on the specifics. The only thing I could possibly agree at the moment is that it will likely parallel what Majora's Mask was for Ocarina of Time - a darker, smaller, more story-driven sequel to the first game.

It's a minute long teaser that was chock full of references to Majora's Mask. I will make whatever bet you want that the game will very specifically either name Majora himself, or speak about the villain/villain's cult with phrases distinctly paralleling quotes from Majora's Mask.

HyrulianScrolls said:
Well I always said the way BotW was reminiscent of OoT in a lot of ways, the sequel would be reminiscent of MM. Not sure how I feel about a literal MM2 though, hopefully they do something really unique with it like MM was at the time and not just bring back the mask and day/night mechanics.

I don't think it's going to be a "literal" MM2 in any way. In MM, "the mask conceals an evil, apocalyptic power that was once used by an ancient tribe in hexing rituals". This is either a member of that ancient tribe, or the evil being that spawned the Mask itself.

The time travel elements in MM were not caused by the Mask, but by the Ocarina. So, since I doubt there will be an Ocarina here, I doubt there will be time travel either.

irstupid said:
Fallawful said:

Majora's Mask was not more story-driven than Ocarina of Time.

Ocarina of Time was all about the story. Majora's Mask was all about the people and side quests. Story of Majora's Mask was just stop the moon. End Story.

If anything BotW is more like Majora's Mask in terms of story. You get the main story in the first like 20 minutes of the game and that's it. 

I agree. Majora's Mask had a very basic main story and was mostly side-story/character-driven. That's a big part of what I loved about it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Wonder if any sort of carry over.

I hope something gets carried over if you have a save file of BotW. Like an outfit or something.

Mar1217 said:
Inspired does not mean they're taking directly from it.

Anywoo, I'm just excited to see more of my GOAT sequel in action. Honestly, I won't be surprised if this release late next year in 2020 and next E3 would be staged with this game in mind like it was for BOTW in 2016.

The degree of inspiration is too high for it to not be MM-related, I think. And I would be willing to place a bet, on top of that.

"The mask conceals an evil, apocalyptic power that was once used by an ancient tribe in hexing rituals. The troubles caused by the mask were so great, that the ancient ones sealed the mask in shadow forever to prevent it from being misused."

If not connected to Majora himself, the above at least correlates.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
Jpcc86 said:
It could also be a Spirit Tracks sequel. Who knows.

It's unmistakably calling back to Majora's Mask. Any argument otherwise is either ignorance or denial.

It's unmistakably calling back to the Gerudo tribe. In fact, it's the gerudo symbol. Any argument otherwise is either ignorance about the Zelda saga or denial.

Proof: https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Crest_of_the_Gerudo

Around the Network
Zarkho said:
thetonestarr said:

It's unmistakably calling back to Majora's Mask. Any argument otherwise is either ignorance or denial.

It's unmistakably calling back to the Gerudo tribe. In fact, it's the gerudo symbol. Any argument otherwise is either ignorance about the Zelda saga or denial.

Absolutely!

Zarkho said:
thetonestarr said:

I was about to post the same thing, damn you’re fast !

Zarkho said:
thetonestarr said:

Oh shit, you've got me there. Confidence shattered.

That makes me completely reconsider it now. You should've taken me up on my willingness to bet before posting that - you would've potentially won that one. I ain't bettin' shit now.

It's possible that Majora was a member of the Gerudo tribe, as the story about specifically where Majora's Mask originated is ambiguous. The design of the Crest of the Gerudo (as seen in the second screenshot above) and Majora's Mask are undeniably similar, still, so it's possible that this is still connected.

However, now I'm wondering if that's not the body of Ganondorf.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Hiku said:
thetonestarr said:

That is unmistakably the Face of Majora on this artifact. Slightly different shape than the Mask, but undeniably designed to be similar.

You mean it looks similar to this?

I don't think it looks much like Majora's Mask at all. You'd have to disregard the bottom half of the pendant, and for the top half, the part that protrudes at the bottom of it (that would presumably represent the colorful spikes on the mask) are not shaped like those spikes, and there's no gap at the center bottom but rather the diamond shape is even more emphasized there.
The circle portion of the pendant is not heart shaped like Majora's mask (with two eyes on each side) but it's just one circle with some symbol inside that I can't find any reference to on Majora's Mask.
Has no horns on top either.

I have a hard time finding any likeness between it and the mask, other than you know... something sticking out to the sides from a circle shape.

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game though so I would love for there to be Majora elements in this game, and that it would be darker and more focused on side stories like that game was.

As has been pointed out, the pendant and design on the pedestal are actually the Crest of the Gerudo, so I now believe any possible correlation to Majora to be ambiguous after all.

However, note the dots in the Crest on the pedestal and the bordering around the details in the last screenshot. It has me now wondering if the designs aren't at least related, but I think now that the body may be Ganondorf instead. It's, at the very least, definitely Gerudo-related.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Hiku said:
thetonestarr said:

As has been pointed out, the pendant and design on the pedestal are actually the Crest of the Gerudo, so I now believe any possible correlation to Majora to be ambiguous after all.

However, note the dots in the Crest on the pedestal and the bordering around the details in the last screenshot. It has me now wondering if the designs aren't at least related, but I think now that the body may be Ganondorf instead. It's, at the very least, definitely Gerudo-related.

I now see that the symbol in the pendant appears very similar to the Gerudo crest, yeah.

The dots in the crest on the last screenshot?
The last screenshot you posted in the OP? That would be this one:

I can't see what dots you are referring to there. Do you mean this screenshot?

I see some dots there. Are you referring to the dots on Majora's Mask? Might be a stretch, but there's also two circle symbols that appear similar to eyes, so maybe.

I said "the dots on the crest on the pedestal" (referencing that screenshot, yes), and (separately) the bordering on the pendant. I can see how you would mistaken what I said though.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that they're related (anymore), but I do think the designs bear striking similarities that can't be ignored. They COULD just bear those similarities because the same people designed them, or because they come from the same universe. We'll have to wait and see.

SW-5120-1900-6153