By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Blue Dragon PriceDrop ... $20 Dollars @ Amazon

ckmlb said:
Deviation59 said:
I thought this game was pure shit. The only serviceable JRPGs so far this generation are Lost Odyssey and Folklore, which is really an action RPG.

The first 1/2 to 2/3 of Eternal Sonata was also OK.

I agree with this except Folklore was only average.

I never said it was great, though I think it's above average if you take it for what it is - a linear Japanese action-RPG.

Around the Network

Oblivion is a hack and slash game with decent leveling complexity set in a sandbox world type. Basically these games are a dime a dozen, and as a matter of fact you can play these games for free on the PC they are called MMORPGs, and you can often finagle a month long free trial. You might even find the human interaction in those titles more rewarding and the worlds are much larger and much more inspired.

Blue Dragon is a turn based game with strong leveling complexity set in a rather linear world. These games are rarer thus far into the generation, and your probably not going to encounter the exact same approach to the roleplaying systems again. Even Lost Odyssey sharing many common elements with Blue Dragon is radically different.

Basically there is no substitute for Blue Dragon, but there are many substitutes for Oblivion. Waiting for Fallout 3 or one of the many other games in this particular style offer the advantages of improvements on the formula. There is also the real recommendation of looking into massive gameplay. Which is a far richer experience.

Twenty dollars for Blue Dragon is good value the game has serious depth, and by its nature is hardly objectionable. The majority of players will enjoy the experience there is very little possibility of being disappointed. So it really is a safer investment. Perhaps it is even preferable to delve Oblivions genre at a later date when you have more varied selection.

i liked blue dragon but i cant give it anything more than an 8
It had a really cool class system that they can expand upon in the second game
i hated oblivion it was just boring to me.

Dodece said:
Oblivion is a hack and slash game with decent leveling complexity set in a sandbox world type. Basically these games are a dime a dozen, and as a matter of fact you can play these games for free on the PC they are called MMORPGs, and you can often finagle a month long free trial. You might even find the human interaction in those titles more rewarding and the worlds are much larger and much more inspired.

Blue Dragon is a turn based game with strong leveling complexity set in a rather linear world. These games are rarer thus far into the generation, and your probably not going to encounter the exact same approach to the roleplaying systems again. Even Lost Odyssey sharing many common elements with Blue Dragon is radically different.

Basically there is no substitute for Blue Dragon, but there are many substitutes for Oblivion. Waiting for Fallout 3 or one of the many other games in this particular style offer the advantages of improvements on the formula. There is also the real recommendation of looking into massive gameplay. Which is a far richer experience.

Twenty dollars for Blue Dragon is good value the game has serious depth, and by its nature is hardly objectionable. The majority of players will enjoy the experience there is very little possibility of being disappointed. So it really is a safer investment. Perhaps it is even preferable to delve Oblivions genre at a later date when you have more varied selection.

Really? There are many substitutes for Oblivion? Care to name a few currently out that are as polished/good as Oblivion? Last I checked, most that tried failed miserably (Two Worlds).
Both are equally awesome, it just depends on what you want. Both fulfill a unique place in my heart - the need for adventure (Oblivion), and the need for story (Blue Dragon). Everyone is opinionated, but saying a near-masterpiece such as Oblivion is a dime a dozen makes as much sense as me saying JRPGs are a dime a dozen.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@mrstickball

First let me say that Oblivion isn't a polished game. I know you think it is a polished game, but that is merely lack of experience. For you it may be a enthralling new experience. For anyone who has spent any time playing massive titles they will give you the critical overview. Oblivion is not wholly original nor is it exceptional. Worse yet it uses many of the industries worst practices.

One word springs to mind when I think of Oblivion generic. Everything is generic the world, the dungeons, the flora and the fauna. Combat isn't all that spectacular you can play the game as a mere button masher, and it has all the tried and true drudgery you will find in many massive titles. Even the world navigation is piss poor.

Bethesda made a great call releasing the title of that there is no doubt. A great many console players haven't really played this game type. For them it is a new experience, but if you have actually played this concept online for any length of time the shallowness of Oblivion hits you like a metal baseball bat. You wanted a list. Why not just give you a good link. I would say if you are this hot to trot about Oblivion you need to move onto the massive scene.

http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm?bhjs=0