By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry Analysis: In Theory: The Witcher 3 on Switch - Is A Port Actually Possible?

Tagged games:

This bullshit debate again. Can we just finally admit that it's not a matter of possibility and never was and never will be? Technically every single game past and future can be ported to every single device past and future. It's a matter of feasibility and fidelity. That matter wouldn't come up if the Switch wasn't such a restricted system but it does because it is.

If I see one more person unable to distinguish between possibility and feasibility I'm gonna strangle someone.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Conina said:

„Conclusion :It can , but the graphic will make the games look different and unplayable“

No, that ain‘t DF‘s conclusion!

He only says that it won‘t be an easy port and that some areas would have to be reworked.

which is the same 

No! DF showed that the unoptimised PC version runs problematic on similar PC hardware (with a bloated Windows-OS in the background).

Your conclusion: the Switch version would be unplayable.

These are totally different things.

Conina said:
HollyGamer said:

which is the same 

No! DF showed that the unoptimised PC version runs problematic on similar PC hardware (with a bloated Windows-OS in the background).

Your conclusion: the Switch version would be unplayable.

These are totally different things.

but at the same time, the low spec PC is still more powerful than the Switch.  

Digital Foundry said that a port of The Witcher 3 on Switch is possible, but it would take huge effort and reworking in some areas. It is implied that the effort and the reworking are needed to make the game enjoyable, not to make the game run. If you don't touch anything and port it straight to the Switch, the game itself can run no problem, but it would do it with a beyond terrible framerate.

What the OP says is just a flat out lie. If he said it because he wants to throw some shit around or because he is not able to understand what DF says on the video, I don't know...

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 07 June 2019

They did the same with Doom, and they admitted Panic Button went further and made a better port of what they were expecting.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:

And also The witcher 3 to Switch this gen =/= The witcher 2 PC to Xbox 360 last gen. Xbox 360 is very powerful hardware and are in equal terms of power to PC at that time. While Switch is not even a desktop PC level GPU if it's compared with today standard. 

What I got from the video it was the CPU that was limiting and not the GPU.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
HollyGamer said:

And also The witcher 3 to Switch this gen =/= The witcher 2 PC to Xbox 360 last gen. Xbox 360 is very powerful hardware and are in equal terms of power to PC at that time. While Switch is not even a desktop PC level GPU if it's compared with today standard. 

so you mean Tegra X1 are equal to GTX 6600? 

Vodacixi said:

Digital Foundry said that a port of The Witcher 3 on Switch is possible, but it would take huge effort and reworking in some areas. It is implied that the effort and the reworking are needed to make the game enjoyable, not to make the game run. If you don't touch anything and port it straight to the Switch, the game itself can run no problem, but it would do it with a beyond terrible framerate.

What the OP says is just a flat out lie. If he said it because he wants to throw some shit around or because he is not able to understand what DF says on the video, I don't know...

Digital Foundry said "even if you reworking the games to the engines " the games will still be unplayable . 

HollyGamer said:
TomaTito said:

so you mean Tegra X1 are equal to GTX 6600? 

Nope, I mean DF said the title in question was CPU bound instead of GPU.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

HollyGamer said:

Digital Foundry said "even if you reworking the games to the engines " the games will still be unplayable . 

Please show us the sentence where they say that: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-in-theory-is-a-switch-port-of-the-witcher-3-viable