By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Cobretti2 said:
OR WE CAN GO WITH THIS

Woman: A person born as a female, and who identifies as female.

Man: A person born as a male, and who identifies as a male.

Transgender Man: A person who was assigned female at birth, but now identifies as a man. Some trans people choose to undergo gender reassignment surgery. Others prefer not to, but still identify as a different gender.

Transgender Woman: A person who was assigned male at birth, but who identifies as a woman. As above, some trans people choose to undergo gender reassignment surgery. Others prefer not to, but still identify as a different gender.

Trans person: This can mean transsexual or transgender. A transsexual is a person who emotionally and psychologically feels that they belong to the opposite sex.

Trans Man: A trans man is someone who was assigned female at birth, but now identifies as a man.

Trans Woman: A person who was assigned male at birth, but who identifies as a woman

Female to Male: This term is often abbreviated to ‘FTM’ and refers to a transsexual or a transgender man.

Male to Female: This term is often abbreviated to ‘FTM’ and refers to a transsexual or a transgender female.

Transsexual: A person who emotionally and psychologically feels that they belong to the opposite sex. Transsexuals are people who transition from one sex to another, usually through dress, hormone therapy, etc.

Cisgender: A person who identifies with the gender of which they were born. For example, if someone is born as a female and identifies as a woman.

Cis Female: Cis is short for cisgender. So a cisgender female is a female who identifies as a woman.

Cis Male: Cis is short for cisgender. A cisgender male is a male who identifies as a man.

Gender Non-Conforming: A person who does not identify with either the male of female genders.

None Gender: A person who does not identify with any gender in particular.

Non-Binary: A person who does not identify entirely with either the female or male genders. They may identify somewhere on a spectrum.

Neutrois: Neutrois is a non-binary gender identity which is considered to be a neutral or null gender.

Genderfluid: A person who does not identify entirely with either the female or male genders. Genderqueer: An overarching term used to describe people who do not identify exclusively as either male or female.

Demigender: This term, (demi means half) is an umbrella term for nonbinary gender identities that have a partial connection to a certain gender.

Demigirl: A person (can also be called a demiwoman or a demifemale) who identifies partially with being a woman or has feminine characteristics. They may have been assigned female as birth, but they could also have been born as a male.

Demiboy: A person (can also be called a demiman or demimale) who identifies partially with being a man or masculine characteristics. They may have been assigned male at birth, but they could also have been born as a female.

Agender: This literally means ‘without gender’, so a person who doesn’t identify with any gender.

Intergender: Intergender people have a gender identity that is in the middle between the binary genders of female and male, and may be a mix of both.

Intersex: A person who is born with the reproductive anatomy of both a man and a woman. For example, they might appear to be female on the outside, but have mostly male-typical anatomy on the inside. These people were previously referred to as hermaphrodites, but that term is considered rude and outdated.

Pangender: A person who identifies as more than one gender.

Poligender: Translates to ‘many genders’. A person who identifies as more than one gender.

Omnigender: Translates to ‘all genders’. A person who identifies as more than one gender.

Bigender: Translates to ‘two genders’. A person who identifies as both male and female genders. Some bigender people have two distinct male and female personas.

Androgyne: A person who doesn’t identify with either gender. They are both feminine and masculine.

Androgyny: The combination of masculine and feminine characteristics. Androgyny can apply to many things - someone’s gender identity, sexual identity, and even fashion.

Third Gender: People who identify as neither a man nor a woman. Some cultures refer to some of their people by a third gender. For example, in Samoafa’afafines are male at birth, but if a family had more boys than girls and needed more women to help with housework, they male children would be raised as a fa’afafine.

Trigender: Translates to three genders. A person who shifts between the male, female and third genders.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/07/explained-the-33-gender-identities-recognised-by-the-2016-australian-sex-survey/

This is ridiculous

Transgender Man/Trans Man/Female-to-Male and Transgender Woman/Trans Woman/Male-to-Female are describing the same exact things.

Woman/Cis-woman and Man/Cis-man are also describing the same thing.

Trans Person/Transsexual/Cisgender are all blanket terms that describe other genders and are moot.

Literally everything else is an attempt to describe the same phenomenon of having no gender or having equal parts feminine and masculine...

Except for the ludicrous ones describing a "third" gender, which isn't a thing.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
sundin13 said:

I really don't understand the fervor with which people insist that these two concepts are the same... They are just words. Everybody should agree that these two facets of maleness/femaleness exist (as it is self-evident). Gender and sex are the words that have been chosen to speak about them.

If they were "just words", they wouldn't be informing public policy so much as present.

It matters because society does not shape its public policies based on both of those definitions (sex and gender) combined, but based on one or the other definition strictly (sex or gender). When the subjective definition (gender) becomes the prevailing one, public policy problems are had, I feel, in the sense that, for instance, single-sex spaces now get disingenuously redefined as a form of discrimination against "certain women" or "certain men", as applicable, with the negative consequences falling one-sidedly on women (by which I mean biological females) across the board.

This for me isn't about the semantics of which pronouns to use. It's about whether women specifically will have such basic entitlements as the right to privacy, to safety, to fair play, or to freedom of speech and association going forward.

The example that I immediately think of is bathrooms, and I find the fear over allowing transgendered individuals into bathrooms corresponding with the identified gender absolutely ridiculous and overblown, so you will have to elaborate a little more if you want to argue that point...

Jaicee said:
Qwark said:
A collection of stereotypes of male and female behaviour. Which happens to be for 99% accurate. Since less than 1% of US is population does identify with the gender they are born with.

I don't know about that. There's a heavy age skew to that data, with younger people being significantly more likely to identify themselves as trans in some way. There's also an interesting skew in terms of sex. Apparently 73% of trans-identified people overall are biologically male, while about 70% of trans-identified youth are biologically female, and more specifically would otherwise identify themselves as bisexual or lesbian in terms of orientation. These types of statistical skews hint at the superficiality of gender identity as a concept in my mind, and at minimum merit further scientific investigation, I believe.

Bottom line: I think the popularization of transgender politics of late is mainly owed to social media, that it is a growing trend that will increasingly affect public policy going forward, and that more and more people are going to identify themselves in these sorts of ways as this trend continues. Don't bet on that statistic remaining the same for long.

The amount of trans people will increase I simply doubt if will ever surpass the 2% limit. In which case we can actually call it common. Although its interesting that young trans people are mostly lesbian or bisexual female. (Which is about as non relevant as your genitals when it comes to gender).

If gender is the sort of speak societal man identity and the societal woman identity than those are continually evolving. So it could also happen that the definition of the male and female identity are becomer bigger so more people fit into them.

If you where gay 60 years ago a big part of society would not consider you a man. Today you can be gay (of queer or whatever) and still be considered male.

The same could happen for many females who don't think they are typically femine/women-like. Women in general are way more open minded when it comes to sex anyways. Doesn't make then less of a woman though. So perhaps of that gets more acceptance more females will identify as woman again. Or there will be a lot more transgenders from this point onwards. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

What isnt gender

Jaicee said:
sundin13 said:

I really don't understand the fervor with which people insist that these two concepts are the same... They are just words. Everybody should agree that these two facets of maleness/femaleness exist (as it is self-evident). Gender and sex are the words that have been chosen to speak about them.

If they were "just words", they wouldn't be informing public policy so much as present.

It matters because society does not shape its public policies based on both of those definitions (sex and gender) combined, but based on one or the other definition strictly (sex or gender). When the subjective definition (gender) becomes the prevailing one, public policy problems are had, I feel, in the sense that, for instance, single-sex spaces now get disingenuously redefined as a form of discrimination against "certain women" or "certain men", as applicable, with the negative consequences falling one-sidedly on women (by which I mean biological females) across the board.

This for me isn't about the semantics of which pronouns to use. It's about whether women specifically will have such basic entitlements as the right to privacy, to safety, to fair play, or to freedom of speech and association going forward.

Why do you think any of these things are attacked by transgender people? What would be an instance where the interests of feminists and transgender rights activists collided?

Around the Network
MrWayne said:
Jaicee said:

Why do you think any of these things are attacked by transgender people? What would be an instance where the interests of feminists and transgender rights activists collided?

how do you differentiate between men and women?

o_O.Q said:
MrWayne said:

Why are you answering with questions?

MrWayne said:
o_O.Q said:

because your answer will very clearly point out the conflict in interest

i do find it funny how people in support of this always seem to have trouble with simple questions like "how do you differentiate between men and women?"

how can you be a women's rights advocate if you have difficulty identifying what a woman actually is?

sundin13 said:

The example that I immediately think of is bathrooms, and I find the fear over allowing transgendered individuals into bathrooms corresponding with the identified gender absolutely ridiculous and overblown, so you will have to elaborate a little more if you want to argue that point...

I most often hear about the sports issue at present, but as you wish:

The concern from where most feminists that I'm aligned with are coming from when it comes to bathroom access isn't so much worry about men who legitimately believe they are female using women's restrooms as it is concern that opportunists without this confusion will for purely voyeuristic purposes at best if we, as transgender movement activists suggest we should, collectively allow literally anyone who claims to be female to use women's restrooms.

Here's a concrete illustration of what I mean:

Last month, two groups of American high school students in Nebraska walked out of classes at around 10:30 AM local time: a group of about 20 girls saying they felt violated by the presence of a boy in the girl's restroom and a separate counter-protest consisting of about 40 of their classmates (both female and, notably, also male) supporting the boy's ostensible right to be there. The boy has recently started claiming to be female, which both state law and federal guidance now obliges Abraham Lincoln High School to admit him to the girl's restrooms. There appears to be no evidence that the boy is doing anything to transition beyond claiming to be a girl, and hence even some girls who support the transgender movement are skeptical of his claim to be female.

The main reason why girls and women need separate bathrooms and locker rooms and shelters and such is safety. Physical safety. You are exposed and at your most vulnerable in spaces like these. The fear of rape specifically is the main thing that makes girls uncomfortable with the presence of a boy in the girl's restroom. That's what these girls are experiencing. I think that's serious anyway and that they shouldn't have to experience that fear daily at a taxpayer-funded high school.

The other side argues that the boy legitimately struggles with dysphoria and feels most comfortable in the girl's restroom and that that's the issue. Okay, well at least 20 girls feel uncomfortable with him being there: where is the concern of the law for their comfort? Why does the ostensible discomfort of one boy outweigh that of 20 girls in importance?

Last edited by Jaicee - on 02 June 2019

o_O.Q said:
MrWayne said:

because your answer will very clearly point out the conflict in interest

i do find it funny how people in support of this always seem to have trouble with simple questions like "how do you differentiate between men and women?"

how can you be a women's rights advocate if you have difficulty identifying what a woman actually is?

The way you engage in conversations annoys many people, some even stopped replying to you, you should lower the amount of counter questions in your replies and write your thought directly.

Now to the answer: Why should I differentiate between men and women?