By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game addiction officially recognised as a disease

Then so is every other recreational sport. Morons...

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Around the Network

But in all seriousness...

When am I getting my disability cheque?. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

NightlyPoe said:
smroadkill15 said:

It likely won't. This will be treated similarly to gambling. 

I fail to see the distinction you're making.

What other disorder is similar to gaming addiction? Gambling is the only one that comes to minds, which leads me to believe some treatments may be similar. That is all I'm trying to say. I know they're not the same of course.  

haxxiy said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Everyone is diseased then, everyone has a vice in life. It's human nature

It's not about vices. A lot of people make that mistake when it comes to psychiatric conditions and thus we have people out there claiming they have ADHD, OCD etc. without ever being diagnosed and having no idea, really, what they're talking about.

To be diagnosed with such a disorder, the addiction, obsession etc. has to actively hinder your daily life to the point you, or at least the people around you, can clearly notice. It needs to get to the point where you're physically, socially and mentally harming yourself because of your condition (insomnia, losing jobs / falling grades, repetitive strain injuries etc.).

The WHO is not doing this to tag the average dedicated gamer as behaviorally ill.

Indeed sad people rather make fun of it than accept it. 

smroadkill15 said:
NightlyPoe said:

I fail to see the distinction you're making.

What other disorder is similar to gaming addiction? Gambling is the only one that comes to minds, which leads me to believe some treatments may be similar. That is all I'm trying to say. I know they're not the same of course.  

Well with countries outlawing lootboxes they see that gaming has become infested with gambling.  Loot boxes are straight up gambling because one doesn't know what they are going to get and even Nintendo has embraced this thus them having to pull AC Pocket Camp and I think Dragia Lost or whatever that is called from Belgium android stores.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 26 May 2019

Around the Network

I don't get it. How does this one differ from any other non-substance addiction? I mean people can be addicted to a lot of things, but do we need to classify things merely based on the source material? What's next? Netflix addiction, which is different from Hulu addiction and Crunchyroll addiction?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

NightlyPoe said:
smroadkill15 said:

I still fail to see where you're making a distinction.  I said it would be treated similarly to other addictions, and you replied it won't and then bring up an addiction and say that it'll be treated similarly to that.

I don't get where the disagreement to the original statement comes from.

I was agreeing with you on the first part you said. I was trying to say, "It likely won't[go any farther]." I was reiterating what you said, but I should have been more clear with my response. 

C'mon, many on this thread are overreacting. There's gaming dependence. It's real.

And I don't like WHO either.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Let me just say this ... 

WHO are you to decide if we are a disease? 

And here I thought it was something good...

Well should apply for the disabled protections in my workplace.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."