By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game addiction officially recognised as a disease

smroadkill15 said:
John2290 said:
What about the compulsive mastetbaters? I'm sure their are more people in the world that abuse their long Johns and hoohaa's than there are people who abuse games. Where is the masturbating disease?

It's called sexual addiction. Masturbation, cybersex, having multiple sexual partners, etc. are all labelled under it. 

If bigotry and jealousy didn't exist, sexual addiction would be considered pathological only in a very small minority of cases. If there is mutual sexual attraction, doing sex is just the natural thing to do.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Everyone is diseased then, everyone has a vice in life. It's human nature

It's not about vices. A lot of people make that mistake when it comes to psychiatric conditions and thus we have people out there claiming they have ADHD, OCD etc. without ever being diagnosed and having no idea, really, what they're talking about.

To be diagnosed with such a disorder, the addiction, obsession etc. has to actively hinder your daily life to the point you, or at least the people around you, can clearly notice. It needs to get to the point where you're physically, socially and mentally harming yourself because of your condition (insomnia, losing jobs / falling grades, repetitive strain injuries etc.).

The WHO is not doing this to tag the average dedicated gamer as behaviorally ill.

ok

Then, i guess hobby is generally a disease?

Oh no guys, I have a disease now.

Well, at least I can use the fact to take sick leave from school and get a pension from the government, right? RIGHT?

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

LAWL, I like it how just about everyone in this thread is mad about a global health body's ruling ...

Around the Network

nvm

sethnintendo said:
smroadkill15 said:

It's called sexual addiction. Masturbation, cybersex, having multiple sexual partners, etc. are all labelled under it. 

Tiger Woods disease

I think that should be the official name. They use sports names for penalties and such so why not diseases? 

sethnintendo said:

Was just trying to have a little fun but yea those types of addictions shouldn't allow disability.  It might open up the video game addiction treatment centers for HSA money.  I know you can use HSA for drug rehab.

You didn't seem serious about it, but I've already seen several people say this already. I'm sure you're aware of how easily people are convinced on the interwebz. That's true about HSA. We'll see how far this goes. 

NightlyPoe said:
smroadkill15 said:

You didn't seem serious about it, but I've already seen several people say this already. I'm sure you're aware of how easily people are convinced on the interwebz. That's true about HSA. We'll see how far this goes. 

It doesn't really have any farther to go.

It's been acknowledged and will be treated as addictions generally are.

It likely won't. This will be treated similarly to gambling. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames