By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First look at PS5 vs PS4 Pro performance test

The future is NOW

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Nice. I hope we'll actually get this benefit from playing PS4 games on it and not have it just for PS5 games.

If this is what backwards compatibility will do, it's going to be a great next gen with 7 years of games on PS4 and then all new games on PS5 to play. First party games a bit light early on? Just buy last gens and have them load 500% faster.

Last edited by The Fury - on 21 May 2019

Hmm, pie.

Yeah. Not actually that big of a deal that they make it out to be... Just like the Power of the Cell.

There are plenty of ways to side-step the issue of storage speeds, we have been dealing with it for decades after all.
Compression, Mesh/Texture Streaming, Longer Load Times into larger DRAM buffers, Procedural Generation... List goes on.

NAND certainly has it's advantages when leveraged right, especially in asset streaming and load times, but usually game engines are engineered to deal with the lowest common denominator... And that is mechanical storage.
Next gen I would assume that developers will still need to keep in mind for mechanical storage on console (External) and PC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

thats a insane differnce in loading speeds...

Around the Network

I could still see some buildings popping in.
Thing is, the comparison is a bit off. That's what the PS5 could do ... using the same graphical settings as the PS4 does.
That won't happen though since devs are going to push the PS5 which will then lead to longer loading times.

Looking back, how much have loading times improved throughout the generations? Answer: not much.

JRPGfan said:
thats a insane differnce in loading speeds...

One might even say too good to be true.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:
Yeah. Not actually that big of a deal that they make it out to be... Just like the Power of the Cell.

There are plenty of ways to side-step the issue of storage speeds, we have been dealing with it for decades after all.
Compression, Mesh/Texture Streaming, Longer Load Times into larger DRAM buffers, Procedural Generation... List goes on.

NAND certainly has it's advantages when leveraged right, especially in asset streaming and load times, but usually game engines are engineered to deal with the lowest common denominator... And that is mechanical storage.
Next gen I would assume that developers will still need to keep in mind for mechanical storage on console (External) and PC.

We will seen a great benefit for PC gamers as well who have been used SSD for quit long time. Probably there will some setting on game option for PC gamer to choose between fast loading or normal loading time. 

twintail said:
Barozi said:
I could still see some buildings popping in.
Thing is, the comparison is a bit off. That's what the PS5 could do ... using the same graphical settings as the PS4 does.
That won't happen though since devs are going to push the PS5 which will then lead to longer loading times.

Looking back, how much have loading times improved throughout the generations? Answer: not much.

you are not wrong but this is merely a demonstration of what they are looking to achieve, and honestly more an early look at the power difference between the Pro and PS5.

As long as we see a reduction in loading time from this gen (even if not on the scale shown in the video), that it an improvement I think we will all gladly welcome. 

It's still kinda lame what they do. Holding back progress on purpose and then trying to wow people with old tech and mediocrity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
twintail said:

you are not wrong but this is merely a demonstration of what they are looking to achieve, and honestly more an early look at the power difference between the Pro and PS5.

As long as we see a reduction in loading time from this gen (even if not on the scale shown in the video), that it an improvement I think we will all gladly welcome. 

It's still kinda lame what they do. Holding back progress on purpose and then trying to wow people with old tech and mediocrity.

Actually i haven't seen a game that utilized this tech, even on PC games where i mostly playing on using SSD PCi NVMe. It's just SSD hasn't been a standard for game developer due to the mostly PC gamer are still booting up from old mechanical HDD.