By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Jonathan Blow explains why our Civilization is doomed (and how to prevent it)

Will software doom our civilization?

Yes 0 0%

Our Civilization is doome... 3 42.86%

No 1 14.29%

Maybe 3 42.86%

I don't know 0 0%

Total:7
COKTOE said:
sethnintendo said:

Let me guess it's because of Nintendo and their fans. Sorry can't ever listwn to this guy after he was so butthurt a few years back

Wait i got confused.  I mixed up Blow and Fish.  Maybe ill listen to a little now.

Phil Fish took a huge dump on all Japanese developers a few years back, and just comes off as a rude child in general. I'm glad he retired from the industry so I won't accidentally read about something he said anymore. Maybe Blow said some crappy things too though? Ha. :)

What he said was correct though, especially at that time. It still very arguable today.

Around the Network

So his argument is basically boils down to better hardware is covering for software ? Why should that matter anyways if we have entire industries dedicated to making better hardware

fatslob-:O said:
So his argument is basically boils down to better hardware is covering for software ? Why should that matter anyways if we have entire industries dedicated to making better hardware

First of all, the age of exponential increase in power in hardware (Moores law) might be close to end. There are physical barriers we are close to hit. That means in the future new hardware could be not too much better than the one before.

Secondly, if you look into it you learn that also the complexity of hardware is increasing. Blow himself has the example of the thing the later Intel engineer said, that back then they had a phase of knowledge loss. This back then was overcome by new companies, including Intel. But these days the bugs in silicon are increasing rapidly. Operating systems like Linux load a bunch of firmware and fixes to cover for faults in silicon. So hardware has potentially the same problems as software.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Wait, who was the smart guy giving this man a microphone again

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Mnementh said:

First of all, the age of exponential increase in power in hardware (Moores law) might be close to end. There are physical barriers we are close to hit. That means in the future new hardware could be not too much better than the one before.

Secondly, if you look into it you learn that also the complexity of hardware is increasing. Blow himself has the example of the thing the later Intel engineer said, that back then they had a phase of knowledge loss. This back then was overcome by new companies, including Intel. But these days the bugs in silicon are increasing rapidly. Operating systems like Linux load a bunch of firmware and fixes to cover for faults in silicon. So hardware has potentially the same problems as software.

So ? Even if we are hitting closer to the limit of Moore's Law, we can still make more specialized hardware to increase performance and if there's bug in the silicon then let the hardware guys do a respin of the silicon as well. I don't see the big deal and neither do the rest of the digital industry as well. If nearly everyone are taking for granted superior hardware then let them since thousands of engineers are obviously getting paid to do this ... 

If 'maintenance' ever becomes the ultimate problem like Jonathon is implying then just open source both the software and the hardware designs and let the community just take care of it from then on to see if they can do a better job ...

Software is definitely important but I doubt civilization will collapse as we're in the golden age of information where archiving and documentation has more value than ever before so many industries are taking more steps to value data ... 

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

First of all, the age of exponential increase in power in hardware (Moores law) might be close to end.

Didn't it end many years ago already? On the CPU side there has been stagnation for a long time.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:
Mnementh said:

First of all, the age of exponential increase in power in hardware (Moores law) might be close to end.

Didn't it end many years ago already? On the CPU side there has been stagnation for a long time.

Stuff like this doesn't end like it's hitting a brick wall, the growth starts to slow down. It may well be that this has already started, yes.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

fatslob-:O said:

So ? Even if we are hitting closer to the limit of Moore's Law, we can still make more specialized hardware to increase performance and if there's bug in the silicon then let the hardware guys do a respin of the silicon as well. I don't see the big deal and neither do the rest of the digital industry as well. If nearly everyone are taking for granted superior hardware then let them since thousands of engineers are obviously getting paid to do this ... 

If 'maintenance' ever becomes the ultimate problem like Jonathon is implying then just open source both the software and the hardware designs and let the community just take care of it from then on to see if they can do a better job ...

Software is definitely important but I doubt civilization will collapse as we're in the golden age of information where archiving and documentation has more value than ever before so many industries are taking more steps to value data ... 

Mainly to try and sell you pointless shit.  Is that progress?  Thank the heavens for ad block.  I don't know how the average user surfs the web without one.

It isn't about Sony impending doom so I'm not interested. We have had prophets of civilization doom for way longer and always wrong

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
It isn't about Sony impending doom so I'm not interested. We have had prophets of civilization doom for way longer and always wrong

Cassandra was right.