By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Genesis/Megadrive Mini is going to be the best mini-console ever made!

Xxain said:
Medisti said:
It only took them how many tries to get it right? I'll wait for the reviews. They're put out too many of these with AT Games for me to trust without the final verdict

Just to inform you; they cancelled their partnership with AT Games for a home based partner just to keep closer tabs on the development.

Yes, I am very excited about SEGA mini. I was not initially because of AT games but after the announcement that they dropped them, M2 are are behind the ports/Emulation ANNNNND Yuzo Koshiro will be doing the sounds and music, they snagged me.

I'm aware, but that doesn't mean the quality of this will be any better until people have it in their hands and can judge for themselves. The PlayStation Classic should have been an easily slam dunk, too.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
konnichiwa said:

Nah sega had no license for Tetris, and willy wars had no copies in NA except for imports.

But, My friend has a video about it ? it was yesterday :(

Your friend probably also has Mario

Bootleg/illegal games ofcourse doesn't count.

Medisti said:
Xxain said:

Just to inform you; they cancelled their partnership with AT Games for a home based partner just to keep closer tabs on the development.

Yes, I am very excited about SEGA mini. I was not initially because of AT games but after the announcement that they dropped them, M2 are are behind the ports/Emulation ANNNNND Yuzo Koshiro will be doing the sounds and music, they snagged me.

I'm aware, but that doesn't mean the quality of this will be any better until people have it in their hands and can judge for themselves. The PlayStation Classic should have been an easily slam dunk, too.

But everybody knows that the PS Classic was a rushed attempt by SONY to jump on that bandwagon why it was hot. The Genesis Mini was suppose to be already out but they postponed it an entire year to completely overhaul it. That alone should give indication that SEGA is talking this seriously. 

Currently, SEGA mini has done the best at choosing games that represent what SEGA was about it. I'll say it again, M2 are doing the ports/emulation

The Wily Wars may have tipped me over the edge. I was a Nintendo gamer growing up but there's now enough on here for me to bite, I think.

Most of the titles so far are good, minus a few throwaways like Dr Robotnik and Sonic Spinball. Alex Kidd is lame but I get why it's there and I don't like Toejam and Earl at all but I know some people do. Street Fighter is also a complete waste because the controls on a 3 button pad are absurd.

But assuming everything is handled well with this I'll definitely be getting one, mostly because my Genesis doesn't work well and I like that games like Thunder Force 3, Bloodlines and Hard Corps are included. Also cool that they got the rights to the Disney games because I really like Castle of Illusion. Regarding the unannounced titles, obviously Phantasy Star 2 better be there along with Revenge of Shinobi and Sonic 3 but I'm hoping more obscure games like Mystic Defender and M.U.S.H.A. also make the cut.

Around the Network

Gotta have Alien Soldier!

Medisti said:
Xxain said:

The track records of AtGames and M2 are pretty well known.  M2's line of Sega Ages is full of reviews praising the emulation, sound, visual presentation/filter options of those Sega classics.  The PlayStation Classic should have been a slam dunk, yes.  But, at every turn, Sony revealed they cared for nothing more than dumping out a quick holiday cash grab onto the market.  The lackluster games list announcement, the announcement that half the games would be PAL versions, no scanlines or filter options for the user, etc.  This particular Sega Genesis mini doesn't have that vibe at all.  Quite the contrary, Sega yanking development of this mini away from AtGames and putting it in the capable hands of M2 is a pretty clear sign that their intention is to have the proper care put into this.

While I'm probably not buying, a video from RGT85 confirms that there's going to be 6 button controller support. I think you have to buy it separately, though

RolStoppable said:
KungKras said:

Nah, SNES and Megadrive are pretty even in terms of legendary games.

Since when?

Since 09:22 3:rd may 1992

I LOVE ICELAND!

Cerebralbore101 said:
KungKras said:

Nah, SNES and Megadrive are pretty even in terms of legendary games.

I grew up on the Genesis. I didn't start playing SNES games until the early 2000's. SNES blows Genesis away with it's games. Most Genesis exclusives were short 2 hour long arcade games. Meanwhile Nintendo, and Square were putting out these long epic games on SNES. 

I've collected a ton of games for both. And played both a lot. And trust me they're very close, even though SNES wins in the end. I would say though, that many of Megadrive's best games are not as known and didn't sell as many copies as some of the best SNES games. Comix Zone is an example.

Also, if your definition of a good game is "long and epic narrative", then I don't trust you to tell me which game library beats which, sorry.

I LOVE ICELAND!