By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Genesis/Megadrive Mini is going to be the best mini-console ever made!

sethnintendo said:
d21lewis said:
The driving force behind there retro mini consoles, for me, is nostalgia. I played a few Genesis games and even owned one later in life but my heart belongs to Nintendo. I've even recently become aware that certain Genesis games were better than their NES counterparts. Doesn't matter. I just don't have that nostalgia.

It could come packed with the entire Genesis library. I'm just not in the market for one

What other console can you do this!

*removes sunglasses*

Mother of God... I bet that thing could run Crysis! Medium settings, of course.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah, that's always been the issue with Genesis vs SNES. A single SNES game can be as much fun as three Genesis games. For example: Super Mario World's 72 levels  is more levels than all four Sonic games combined. 

I still think Genesis Mini will be a better Mini console, because it isn't really missing anything, while other mini-consoles have come up short in the past. IMO a mini-console should have every classic game for the system included in it. If I were doing a mini-console I'd expand the list to 60 games, just to make sure nothing was missed and everyone were happy. Besides it's not like these games had large file sizes or anything. 

More levels doesn't mean more fun or better.

Kid Chameleon had a hundred+ levels and I would get SMW over it.

I also would get Sonic 2 over SMW any day.

True but SMW levels were a lot better than Sonic levels to boot. Even if you were to give Sonic a handicapp and call Sonic levels as good as SMW levels, SMW wins by a landslide. 

Maybe it will be, but I don't like any of these mini consoles. I'd rather just buy the games as a collection for a modern system, which I can for a lot of these. I like the Mega Drive, Playstation, SNES and NES but I haven't even been tempted to buy one of these mini consoles so far.

I would like to hear this new Yuzo Koshiro menu music though

John2290 said:
I bought a Megadrive collection on the 360 or ps3, it was incredibly underwhelming, even streets of rage whih I remember most fondly was trash. Now Nintendos games, they still hold up, I can still play Super Mario bros 3 to world 8 without the whistles and withoit grtting bored or fucking around in double dragons 2 and California games when I can find someone to join me. I fon't feel good anout this Megadrive mini but I will keep it in my perhipery

I played Streets of Rage 2, and it was... Okay. The moveset for the characters was really limited. Lots of beat'em ups just haven't aged well. Don't get me started on how bad Turtles in Time is these days. 

Ecco, Kid Chameleon, and Earthworm Jim have all begun to show their age. Ecco suffered from being the type of game that really needs an analog stick to steer the main character right. Kid Chameleon lacks a save file, and a lot of the levels are just filler. Earthworm Jim has terrible hit detection with the whip, making certain levels almost impossible. 

River City Ransom holds up wonderfully though. But that's an NES game. 

Huh, this one looks way better than I expected now that I take a closer look. I just overlooked it at first because it isn't the first one they've done, it's just the first since Nintendo made a proper effort at classic mini consoles with the NES and SNES Classics. Previous ones were pretty lame and left me with a bad taste, so I'm going to probably wait and see how this turns out. If the reviews show they didn't fuck it up somehow, and those other 10 games are good, I'll definitely consider it, because this is a lot of very good games, and it's a library I haven't explored very well

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
Huh, this one looks way better than I expected now that I take a closer look. I just overlooked it at first because it isn't the first one they've done, it's just the first since Nintendo made a proper effort at classic mini consoles with the NES and SNES Classics. Previous ones were pretty lame and left me with a bad taste, so I'm going to probably wait and see how this turns out. If the reviews show they didn't fuck it up somehow, and those other 10 games are good, I'll definitely consider it, because this is a lot of very good games, and it's a library I haven't explored very well

Previous genesis minis were bad because atgames chinese company did them and they had bad emulation.  Graphics and sound were off. This one is done by M2 the Sega division behind the 3D ports on the 3DS.  I expect this one to finally have good emulation.

sethnintendo said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Previous genesis minis were bad because atgames chinese company did them and they had bad emulation.  Graphics and sound were off. This one is done by M2 the Sega division behind the 3D ports on the 3DS.  I expect this one to finally have good emulation.

Huh, well in that case, I don't get how Sega allowed them to make it. Did they sue? Or was this something Sega licensed? Because if they did it with Sega's permission, that was pretty dumb on Sega's part. Trusting some nobody company from China to work with your prized IPs? Sega was nuts to do that. It certainly damaged the brand a bit, at least in my mind, in that it made me not trust this new effort at first.

RolStoppable said:
It offers more games than the SNES Mini, but not better games. Most titles are heavily outclassed by their SNES counterparts

Nah, SNES and Megadrive are pretty even in terms of legendary games.

I LOVE ICELAND!

HylianSwordsman said:
sethnintendo said:

Huh, well in that case, I don't get how Sega allowed them to make it. Did they sue? Or was this something Sega licensed? Because if they did it with Sega's permission, that was pretty dumb on Sega's part. Trusting some nobody company from China to work with your prized IPs? Sega was nuts to do that. It certainly damaged the brand a bit, at least in my mind, in that it made me not trust this new effort at first.

Yea not sure why but they allowed atgames to tarnish their reputation.  Atgames finally made one with hdmi and not just av cables but it still wasn't perfect emulation.  I believe they still sell them at walmart but I'll never buy anything from atgames again.  I ended up just giving mine away.  So yea they made mistake licensing it out because now some of public might assume the new one will be just as bad as the atgames machines.

sethnintendo said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Yea not sure why but they allowed atgames to tarnish their reputation.  Atgames finally made one with hdmi and not just av cables but it still wasn't perfect emulation.  I believe they still sell them at walmart but I'll never buy anything from atgames again.  I ended up just giving mine away.  So yea they made mistake licensing it out because now some of public might assume the new one will be just as bad as the atgames machines.

I've definitely seen them at a few stores from time to time like Walmart. Still though, what we have here with this latest mini console feels like a pretty good collection of games, so if it works as well as M2's reputation suggests it should, I'll probably get it. It looks like Sega is taking the product seriously this time.