By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Genesis/Megadrive Mini is going to be the best mini-console ever made!

Mandalore76 said:
Medisti said:

I'm aware, but that doesn't mean the quality of this will be any better until people have it in their hands and can judge for themselves. The PlayStation Classic should have been an easily slam dunk, too.

The track records of AtGames and M2 are pretty well known.  M2's line of Sega Ages is full of reviews praising the emulation, sound, visual presentation/filter options of those Sega classics.  The PlayStation Classic should have been a slam dunk, yes.  But, at every turn, Sony revealed they cared for nothing more than dumping out a quick holiday cash grab onto the market.  The lackluster games list announcement, the announcement that half the games would be PAL versions, no scanlines or filter options for the user, etc.  This particular Sega Genesis mini doesn't have that vibe at all.  Quite the contrary, Sega yanking development of this mini away from AtGames and putting it in the capable hands of M2 is a pretty clear sign that their intention is to have the proper care put into this.

I am not going to blindly trust SEGA after years of being burned by them. I'll wait for the reviews, thanks.

Around the Network
Medisti said:

I am not going to blindly trust SEGA after years of being burned by them. I'll wait for the reviews, thanks.

How many copies of Sonic Boom did you buy?  Jking...

Medisti said:
Mandalore76 said:

The track records of AtGames and M2 are pretty well known.  M2's line of Sega Ages is full of reviews praising the emulation, sound, visual presentation/filter options of those Sega classics.  The PlayStation Classic should have been a slam dunk, yes.  But, at every turn, Sony revealed they cared for nothing more than dumping out a quick holiday cash grab onto the market.  The lackluster games list announcement, the announcement that half the games would be PAL versions, no scanlines or filter options for the user, etc.  This particular Sega Genesis mini doesn't have that vibe at all.  Quite the contrary, Sega yanking development of this mini away from AtGames and putting it in the capable hands of M2 is a pretty clear sign that their intention is to have the proper care put into this.

There's nothing wrong with waiting for hands on reviews, don't get me wrong.  I'm just saying that people are more putting their faith in the fact that M2 is handling it than having blind faith in Sega.  If they had left this with AtGames, as was the original plan, I wouldn't even be considering it personally.

The games I loved on the Genesis didnt make the cut (but probably has to do with licensing issues too or maybe my taste in Genesis games are way off compared to the mass fans lol)

KungKras said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I grew up on the Genesis. I didn't start playing SNES games until the early 2000's. SNES blows Genesis away with it's games. Most Genesis exclusives were short 2 hour long arcade games. Meanwhile Nintendo, and Square were putting out these long epic games on SNES. 

I've collected a ton of games for both. And played both a lot. And trust me they're very close, even though SNES wins in the end. I would say though, that many of Megadrive's best games are not as known and didn't sell as many copies as some of the best SNES games. Comix Zone is an example.

Also, if your definition of a good game is "long and epic narrative", then I don't trust you to tell me which game library beats which, sorry.

Not long epic narrative. Just game that is long (as in takes a long time to beat), and epic (as in quality). 

I completely agree that their best games didn't sell as well. That was partly why I made this thread. Megadrive/Genesis Mini is chock full of rare, but excellent games that hardly anybody played. These rare, but fantastic games are finally getting rereleased so that people don't have to spend $50 to $100 on an original copy. That is huge!

Around the Network

Not going to lie, 40 games for $70 sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Plus M2 doing emulation. I might pick this up.

haxxiy said:

Not going to lie, 40 games for $70 sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Plus M2 doing emulation. I might pick this up.

Is it 70?  Thought was going to be 80.

sethnintendo said:
haxxiy said:

You're right. $79.99 to be precise. The Japanese get a cheaper version with one controller only, though. That SKU would have been preferrable to me.

haxxiy said:
sethnintendo said:

You're right. $79.99 to be precise. The Japanese get a cheaper version with one controller only, though. That SKU would have been preferrable to me.

Yea I'm pumped.  Just don't get why they went with 3 button if they are going to have games like Street Fighter.  Even the atgames crap consoles came with two 6 button.  D21 said they plan on releasing 6 button ones but then I'd be stuck with two 3 button controllers doing nothing.  I'll prob just stick with 3 button and if I want to play SF I'll play it on VC on my Wii U or SNES mini.  Buying 2 controllers for just one game in collection doesn't make sense to me especially if not the best version of SF2.  I wonder if they are going to get a MK like MK2.  I just remember atgames MK versions were bullshit.  I swear the Chinese increased difficulty and even changing it to easy it was near impossible to get past 2nd fight which I know they tampered with difficulty settings.  They were like hmmmm Americans want to play MK we will have cpu beat your ass!

I'm curious if the 8bitdo Genesis controllers (wired with the included USB cord) would work.