By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Star Citizen. Finally someone calls a spade a spade. Scam.

 

Star citizen

Crowd funding disaster 23 43.40%
 
Crowd funding success 13 24.53%
 
There is still hope 8 15.09%
 
I have no dog in this fight 9 16.98%
 
Total:53

Well some people like to be parted away from their money



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

The game suffers from the Duke Nukem Forever syndrome where the person in charge insists that everything has to be state of the art, so eventually some parts have to be done over again, and once that is done, other parts have to be redone, and so on.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

spemanig said:
Wyrdness said:

I feel like I've been hearing of this game for the longest time but haven't seen much of it to warrant it's near 8 year development time.

They have a fully realized city-planet. As in a full, spherical planet that is convincingly complex, covered coast to coast in cyberpunk city. I get that it's a meme that it's development is a scam when they are making real headway on ideas that actual released video games haven't even touched conceptually. I don't care literally at all about this game, but it's always weird to me when people are surprised that a game attempting to do what this game is is taking as long as this game is.

How long do people think it's supposed to take to develop procedural planetary-scale city-building software, on top of everything else this game is supposed to have at the level of detail it's supposed to have?

It's supposed to take the amount of time they said it would take when they asked everyone for money.  That date passed five years ago.  A delay of a few months, maybe a year even, could be seen as a normal result of over-optimistic developers incorrectly estimating the time needed.  But, this is five years late.  So, no matter how ambitious the game is, the fact remains - the devs lied to people to get their money.



Did they ever release that single player campaign offshoot thing? That's what I was actually interested in.



John2290 said:
Chazore said:

From what I've been seeing the past few months, it actually looks like it's progressing rather well.

I'm especially loving how insanely huge that space port city is.

That being said, I don't see it as a scam, not until it reaches a point where zero progression is made, and everything is literally made up excuses, debunked by fellow members of staff (which we see as being common within this industry, in regards to crunch time reports).

I'm still patient to wait for the single player version of the game. I do have to wonder though, as to when both versions come out, will those constantly shitting on the game eat crow for the next 8 years? (not even a question, because on, no one would ever admit that they've been acting like a nonce for 8 straight years, and it's sad that no one could be held to 

We've got into this discussion before and I see know bemifet of bringing it up again but Chazore lad, why do you give them so much lee way when they shit on your 50 dollars, They have pissed your money to the wind in massive and useless marketing campaigns while they sluggishly and clumisly draw out the development of the game. 

How much leeway was giving to No mans sky when it first came out?, its only now starting to reach what it was meant to be too after how many people spend full price on something they where lied to about?. Have you played this game?, do you understand what this game is trying to do and is doing?. Funny how its only mostly console players and PC players who only just heard about it look at how longs its been in dev for that seem to make up this shit every 6 months. How long was GoW 4 in dev for before it was released? The last of us 2?, them games are no where near on the scale of what this game is doing.



Around the Network
Faelco said:
It's funny to see people defending it by saying "it's progressing, the alpha is playable".

After 8 years and more than 200 millions spent in it, having a playable alpha, still in progress, is less than the minimum.

Technically not a scam, maybe, but between incompetence and dishonesty, surely.

So much this.  People used to get pissed when they gave others money and then got basically ripped off.  Now, so many just make excuses for the ones ripping them off.  I could understand this mindset if they had taken in, say, $50M and it had only been 4-5 years with a small staff.  But they have raised more money than many AAA studios are given for a game and apparently have plenty of staff.  There is no reason that after 8 years this game is nowhere near complete and is running out of money.  Hell, just a few years ago people were pissed off at Mighty No. 9 and that game didn't take as long to make, actually released, and didn't raise nearly as much money.  It was just underwhelming in both terms of gameplay and art direction.



zero129 said:
John2290 said:

We've got into this discussion before and I see know bemifet of bringing it up again but Chazore lad, why do you give them so much lee way when they shit on your 50 dollars, They have pissed your money to the wind in massive and useless marketing campaigns while they sluggishly and clumisly draw out the development of the game. 

How much leeway was giving to No mans sky when it first came out?, its only now starting to reach what it was meant to be too after how many people spend full price on something they where lied to about?. Have you played this game?, do you understand what this game is trying to do and is doing?. Funny how its only mostly console players and PC players who only just heard about it look at how longs its been in dev for that seem to make up this shit every 6 months. How long was GoW 4 in dev for before it was released? The last of us 2?, them games are no where near on the scale of what this game is doing.

No Man's Sky got basically zero leeway.  It was criticized and bashed to no end when it was released in its unfinished state.  What did they do when this happened.  They shut up about the game and got down to business and released update after update to make it the game they promised.  From the time they started development to the last update was 5 years.  And this is with a staff that went from just 4 people to a still small number of 25.  Star Citizen has almost 500 employees working on it.  They have the funding and staff of a large AAA dev.  They should have much more to show than this.



zero129 said:
John2290 said:

We've got into this discussion before and I see know bemifet of bringing it up again but Chazore lad, why do you give them so much lee way when they shit on your 50 dollars, They have pissed your money to the wind in massive and useless marketing campaigns while they sluggishly and clumisly draw out the development of the game. 

How much leeway was giving to No mans sky when it first came out?, its only now starting to reach what it was meant to be too after how many people spend full price on something they where lied to about?. Have you played this game?, do you understand what this game is trying to do and is doing?. Funny how its only mostly console players and PC players who only just heard about it look at how longs its been in dev for that seem to make up this shit every 6 months. How long was GoW 4 in dev for before it was released? The last of us 2?, them games are no where near on the scale of what this game is doing.

No Man's Sky was not developed by 500 people, in 8 years, with more than 200M of budget. Don't compare apples and oranges.

Even GoW4 and TLOU2 are less expensive, faster and surely with smaller team than that. But the difference is, they have results to show, not just promises. 

And those games didn't ask for thousands of dollars to fans in exchange for those promises. "Please buy this pretty picture of our new ship, only 3000 dollars, otherwise the game won't be complete, poor us :( We're counting on you!".

But hey, if the creator of the game can buy a new house costing several million dollars and give a cosy and well paid job to all his friends and family, that's proof that the project is in the right hands. 



Faelco said:
zero129 said:

How much leeway was giving to No mans sky when it first came out?, its only now starting to reach what it was meant to be too after how many people spend full price on something they where lied to about?. Have you played this game?, do you understand what this game is trying to do and is doing?. Funny how its only mostly console players and PC players who only just heard about it look at how longs its been in dev for that seem to make up this shit every 6 months. How long was GoW 4 in dev for before it was released? The last of us 2?, them games are no where near on the scale of what this game is doing.

No Man's Sky was not developed by 500 people, in 8 years, with more than 200M of budget. Don't compare apples and oranges.

Even GoW4 and TLOU2 are less expensive, faster and surely with smaller team than that. But the difference is, they have results to show, not just promises. 

And those games didn't ask for thousands of dollars to fans in exchange for those promises. "Please buy this pretty picture of our new ship, only 3000 dollars, otherwise the game won't be complete, poor us :( We're counting on you!".

But hey, if the creator of the game can buy a new house costing several million dollars and give a cosy and well paid job to all his friends and family, that's proof that the project is in the right hands. 



Faelco said:
zero129 said:

How much leeway was giving to No mans sky when it first came out?, its only now starting to reach what it was meant to be too after how many people spend full price on something they where lied to about?. Have you played this game?, do you understand what this game is trying to do and is doing?. Funny how its only mostly console players and PC players who only just heard about it look at how longs its been in dev for that seem to make up this shit every 6 months. How long was GoW 4 in dev for before it was released? The last of us 2?, them games are no where near on the scale of what this game is doing.

No Man's Sky was not developed by 500 people, in 8 years, with more than 200M of budget. Don't compare apples and oranges.

Even GoW4 and TLOU2 are less expensive, faster and surely with smaller team than that. But the difference is, they have results to show, not just promises. 

And those games didn't ask for thousands of dollars to fans in exchange for those promises. "Please buy this pretty picture of our new ship, only 3000 dollars, otherwise the game won't be complete, poor us :( We're counting on you!".

But hey, if the creator of the game can buy a new house costing several million dollars and give a cosy and well paid job to all his friends and family, that's proof that the project is in the right hands. 

So the has been no results on SC?.... wow i guess them what i been playing for the last while for my 10 euro investment has been nothing...