By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Star Citizen. Finally someone calls a spade a spade. Scam.

Star citizen

Crowd funding disaster 23 43.40%

Crowd funding success 13 24.53%

There is still hope 8 15.09%

I have no dog in this fight 9 16.98%

Total:53

Still interested in the game, but I never gave them a cent, as I saw quite soon that excessive ambition was lengthening the time of the definitive version's release too much. Sad it went so bad, the work they have done up until now is impressive, but they surely organized it very badly, they should have instead settled on producing a smaller, but complete game universe earlier and expanding it after in a modular way. I hope they'll stop chasing ever moving goals for a while and be able to complete at least what they already took to a good level of development.
I wonder if Roberts suffers from excessive envy for the large, varied and iconic world his colleague and former associate Lord British was able to create (Roberts created a very successful franchise too in their golden age, but its universe never reached Britannia's depth and complexity, and its success and influence lasted shorter).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

I feel like I've been hearing of this game for the longest time but haven't seen much of it to warrant it's near 8 year development time.

They have a fully realized city-planet. As in a full, spherical planet that is convincingly complex, covered coast to coast in cyberpunk city. I get that it's a meme that it's development is a scam when they are making real headway on ideas that actual released video games haven't even touched conceptually. I don't care literally at all about this game, but it's always weird to me when people are surprised that a game attempting to do what this game is is taking as long as this game is.

How long do people think it's supposed to take to develop procedural planetary-scale city-building software, on top of everything else this game is supposed to have at the level of detail it's supposed to have?

Cerebralbore101 said:

I've already written the game off years ago. Not because it's taking so long to be finished. That's fine. But because they are selling ship packages for hundreds or thousands of dollars. Ships for a game that isn't finished. For a digital product. It costs them $0 to send you a ship in the game. This is absurd and unprecedented. It would be as if an MMO started selling staffs, and swords for hundreds of dollars. Do people realize these are digital items? 

The game could get glowing reviews and it wouldn't matter to me. Any game with this level of greed is bound to be zero fun. 

If the game comes out in a finished state that literally supports the 1% richest folk in the world, then yeah, I'd likely move on to something else by then. But until then, I'll wait and see if the promise is kept by the time of it's eventual release, that not everything is going to cost literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

spemanig said:
Wyrdness said:

I feel like I've been hearing of this game for the longest time but haven't seen much of it to warrant it's near 8 year development time.

They have a fully realized city-planet. As in a full, spherical planet that is convincingly complex, covered coast to coast in cyberpunk city. I get that it's a meme that it's development is a scam when they are making real headway on ideas that actual released video games haven't even touched conceptually. I don't care literally at all about this game, but it's always weird to me when people are surprised that a game attempting to do what this game is is taking as long as this game is.

How long do people think it's supposed to take to develop procedural planetary-scale city-building software, on top of everything else this game is supposed to have at the level of detail it's supposed to have?

When you've been given over 200m and have five different massive teams it's reasonable for people to expect something I don't buy this ambition defence as many games have ambition, they made a big fancy map so? What is there to do on the map exactly that no other game with a smaller is doing and is it really worth while to warrant all this time? It reminds me of Shenmue back in the day when it was the most detailed game but most of that detail hardly amounted to much in how the game played.

This "scam" has been known for a good while now.I honestly dont know how they still keep getting money, and how people spend thousands of dollars into a game that will probably take another ten years to officialy release.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Well some people like to be parted away from their money

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

spemanig said:
Wyrdness said:

It's supposed to take the amount of time they said it would take when they asked everyone for money.  That date passed five years ago.  A delay of a few months, maybe a year even, could be seen as a normal result of over-optimistic developers incorrectly estimating the time needed.  But, this is five years late.  So, no matter how ambitious the game is, the fact remains - the devs lied to people to get their money.

Did they ever release that single player campaign offshoot thing? That's what I was actually interested in.

Faelco said:
It's funny to see people defending it by saying "it's progressing, the alpha is playable".

After 8 years and more than 200 millions spent in it, having a playable alpha, still in progress, is less than the minimum.

Technically not a scam, maybe, but between incompetence and dishonesty, surely.

So much this.  People used to get pissed when they gave others money and then got basically ripped off.  Now, so many just make excuses for the ones ripping them off.  I could understand this mindset if they had taken in, say, $50M and it had only been 4-5 years with a small staff.  But they have raised more money than many AAA studios are given for a game and apparently have plenty of staff.  There is no reason that after 8 years this game is nowhere near complete and is running out of money.  Hell, just a few years ago people were pissed off at Mighty No. 9 and that game didn't take as long to make, actually released, and didn't raise nearly as much money.  It was just underwhelming in both terms of gameplay and art direction.

zero129 said:
John2290 said:

We've got into this discussion before and I see know bemifet of bringing it up again but Chazore lad, why do you give them so much lee way when they shit on your 50 dollars, They have pissed your money to the wind in massive and useless marketing campaigns while they sluggishly and clumisly draw out the development of the game. 

How much leeway was giving to No mans sky when it first came out?, its only now starting to reach what it was meant to be too after how many people spend full price on something they where lied to about?. Have you played this game?, do you understand what this game is trying to do and is doing?. Funny how its only mostly console players and PC players who only just heard about it look at how longs its been in dev for that seem to make up this shit every 6 months. How long was GoW 4 in dev for before it was released? The last of us 2?, them games are no where near on the scale of what this game is doing.

No Man's Sky got basically zero leeway.  It was criticized and bashed to no end when it was released in its unfinished state.  What did they do when this happened.  They shut up about the game and got down to business and released update after update to make it the game they promised.  From the time they started development to the last update was 5 years.  And this is with a staff that went from just 4 people to a still small number of 25.  Star Citizen has almost 500 employees working on it.  They have the funding and staff of a large AAA dev.  They should have much more to show than this.