By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WTF? My local GameStop only got 4 copies of Okami?!

What you expected? Okami in PS2 fail to sell 500k

Around the Network

It'll have long legs for sure. If the game reaches 500,000, I would consider that a HUGE success. The original game got nearly half that on the PS2 (NOTE: The VGC # for the ps2 version is only Japan. For some reason, we are missing the Europe and NA numbers)

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Just for the heck of it, I'll call around to a few various stores in my area and see how many they have in stock/sold out of. There are over 25 Gamestops, 4 Best Buys, 3 Toys R Us, as well as a few indie game stores and the giant discount department stores. A few calls will test the water.

If a few others in different markets do it as well that might be a bit of a gauge..... I live in North Florida

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
ecurbj said:
I'm not to impressed with this game at all. It feels like it should be on the Wii but it's more of something like Zack & Wiki or some touch screen type game and I'm not that interested in it.

I think Capcom just went based on PS2 standards and base the shipments on that alone :)

Actually Capcom would really not decide that at all, the retailer would decide what they choose to stock as inventory levels. 

BAM! There it is!

Griffin said:
The reviews i have seen so far say the PS2 one is better, i wonder if that had anything to do with such a low amount shipping to stores.

Have you read IGN's? Doesn't sound like it!

9.0 (Outstanding)

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/865/865958p1.html

Quotes:

"If you have never played Okami before, you are in for an amazingly beautiful and awe-inspiringly epic adventure that simply must not be missed on Nintendo's console, particularly if you like games like Zelda. The title oozes charm and style from the opening credits and the Wii additions truly enhance the experience. Now, you can play the game in 480p and 16:9 widescreen, and you can do so using the Wii remote, which controls Amaterasu's celestial brush with a level of speed and accuracy never before possible. It's implemented so triumphantly that it actually changes the pace of the game, effectively speeding everything up."

"(I feel that Okami for Wii is the better of the two versions, but I have rated it very slightly lower than the PS2 original to account for the fact that it arrives very late on Nintendo's console and with some remaining imperfections.)"

Around the Network

So if I read this right, they only had one preorder? (yours). If that's the case, 4 sounds about right.

radioioRobert said:
ecurbj said:
I'm not to impressed with this game at all. It feels like it should be on the Wii but it's more of something like Zack & Wiki or some touch screen type game and I'm not that interested in it.

I think Capcom just went based on PS2 standards and base the shipments on that alone :)

Actually Capcom would really not decide that at all, the retailer would decide what they choose to stock as inventory levels. 

And obivious the retailer just didn't see this game being bought :D

well considering there are over 5000 Gamestops, if each one got the same amount, and the demand was uniform Okami would have a minimun of 20k in sales : ) from GS alone.

I still think my 40-50k number is good.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Griffin said:
The reviews i have seen so far say the PS2 one is better, i wonder if that had anything to do with such a low amount shipping to stores.

IGN, GameSpot, and GamePro prefer the Wii version.

ecurbj said:
radioioRobert said:
ecurbj said:

And obivious the retailer just didn't see this game being bought :D

And with 20 calls on release morning alone, having 4 in stock should have cost them some money as people go pick it up elsewhere :D

What's 'obivious'? 

BAM! There it is!