By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Timcast: Youtube Gets Woke Goes Broke Loses 70 BILLION DOLLARS!!!

What do you think?

They deserved it 28 60.87%

It's about time 3 6.52%

I blame T-Series 5 10.87%

Google Stadia is doomed 8 17.39%

I don't care I still use old TV 2 4.35%

Total:46
HollyGamer said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Losing market cap is not losing money. They still have the same amount of money as they had before (well, actually they have 6.6 billion more than they had before, but the point still stands). So Alphabet did not lose money, fact.

Did the investors lose money? Only if they bought their stocks the day before and then immediately panic sold them. But I'd assume most, if not all of them, are smart enough to realise panic selling is a bad thing to do and that not only will the stock price recover if selling is their intent (although to be honest if their intent was to profit from selling they probably should have done so sooner anyway) but they'll also be earning money from dividends still.

Youtube being owned by Google.Alphabet is irrelevant. When Sony post their earnings their overall profit/loss isn't presented as PlayStation's profit/loss (because that would simply be incorrect), the actual profit/loss for PlayStation individually is posted as PlayStation's profit/loss.

It is fake news. It's literally a lie. It's false information. It's not even misleading, it's just flat out wrong. It's sensational and clickbait as well, but it's also simply wrong.

And you not only posting lies but actually having the audacity to defend them makes me think this was done to push your agenda rather than due to ignorance (kind of figured that from the OP anyway though).

Oh and as for your suggestion to watch the video, why? Why on earth would I watch a video posted by a liar? It lost all credibility the moment it was posted with a lie in the title.

Losing market cap is equal to loosing money https://www.merrilledge.com/article/company-size-why-market-capitalization-matters-ose

Youtube being owned by Google but Google being owned by Alphabet "

• Alphabet's stock plunged almost 8% on Tuesday, slashing the market cap of Google's parent company by about $70 billion to $831 billion. "  

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/google-stock-alphabet-set-to-lose-70-billion-on-q1-ad-sales-traffic-2019-4-1028152666

It's not fake, far from fake, hell even it's not misleading, the Youtube video or the title you can agree or disagree but the rest are true. 

I am not defending the video, i am just defending the source. 

Yes it is loosing money - but only for the shareholders, and only those why invested into Alphabet when the stock was above the current point! Alphabet didn't lose one cent with this. Hence why it is false, and deliberately so from the one who made that Video to push his agenda.

And yes, you are defending the source and the video, I just don't think that you realize that.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Ka-pi96 said:

"has lost $70 billion off its market cap"
As misleading as the hyperlink is, the actual article headline doesn't lie. Your thread title however is a lie.

Well i am just linked the Youtube video title, so it;s not my fault. Also it's answer your question, "is it 70 billion???. The answer yes it is. 

Ha! It's not your fault that you posted blatant misinformation on purpose to drive an agenda?

Yeah YouTube isn't going anywhere for a looong time. Tim Pool is the definition of a sensationalist. I respect him and his opinions but he definitely stretches things to fit his narrative.

John2290 said:
This is a mind boggling ammount of money. It's 280,000 winning scratch cards. Around 600,000 doctors salaries. About 1.2 million years of avergae Joe, minimum wage. I feel my old socalist beliefs nawing from the grave when I see figure like this.

Calm down, nobody is actually sitting on all that money per se.

If it makes you feel better just look at all the tax payer money the government pisses away. I mean that's trillions versus billions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Meh, Tim Pool is a right wing douche, even though he says he isn't. Wouldn't be surprised if he is being payed to spread his bullshit by the Koch brothers like Dave Rubin.

Around the Network

Tim Pool is one of the most reaching, sensationalist, bad faith actors on the internet. I can not recommend any of his work, unless you want a good laugh.

Last edited by MrWayne - on 02 May 2019

Based on the thread title, video title and the complete lack of understanding of the difference between market capitalization and profit/loss, I'm going to go ahead and say that the source is an idiot.

I do like "get woke, go broke" though.  It's one of those little phrases that, when stated without irony, indicates that the speaker has nothing of value to say.

I chose "Google Stadia" is doomed. I think it's possibly doomed without this news lol.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

SpokenTruth said:
zero129 said:

Well i hope it is. I do not want any game streaming service to take off in any big way. Look what mobile gaming has done to our console/PC games, Loot boxes, pay to win items etc etc all in pay to play AAA games... Imagine if Stadia took of what it would do. Say good bye to ever owning any games you buy.

Also the "Get woke go broke" saying wouldn't of came into being unless the was something behind it. Like i dont know.... maybe many platforms/Movies/TV shows that ended up losing money/Audience after they changed their views compared to how they where doing before?, after bringing in stuff the original audience clarly doesnt care for and the audience they are going after also doesnt care about?. Its pretty simple really if you think about it for a minute.

Licensed games or leased games are already a thing.  Stadia isn't going to usher in an economic model that doesn't already exist. 

And no, the "Get work go broke" phrase isn't based on actual events but rather a hope that it happens. Remind me of that one character in the movie Clueless trying to make "fetch" an accepted expression of speech when nobody was really into it.  Nothing behind it, she just wanted it to be a thing.

Further, IPs that have embraced diversity and are "woke" have actually expanded their markets and grown.  I mean if we are looking at this as an example, Alphabet gained $6.6 billion more dollars and grew.

Nobody in Clueless tried to make fetch happen.  That was Mean Girls.  Do not insult Mean Girls by confusing it with clueless.

JWeinCom said:
SpokenTruth said:

Licensed games or leased games are already a thing.  Stadia isn't going to usher in an economic model that doesn't already exist. 

And no, the "Get work go broke" phrase isn't based on actual events but rather a hope that it happens. Remind me of that one character in the movie Clueless trying to make "fetch" an accepted expression of speech when nobody was really into it.  Nothing behind it, she just wanted it to be a thing.

Further, IPs that have embraced diversity and are "woke" have actually expanded their markets and grown.  I mean if we are looking at this as an example, Alphabet gained $6.6 billion more dollars and grew.

Nobody in Clueless tried to make fetch happen.  That was Mean Girls.  Do not insult Mean Girls by confusing it with clueless.

JWeinCom said:
SpokenTruth said: